Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Thinking of leaving Detroit.What metro detroit cities do you suggest?

After 23 years of living in Detroit I think I've had all I can take of the city. If I stay in Michigan what Metro Detroit cities do you all think I should consider moving to?
    Thanks in advance.

Leave Michigan if you leave Detroit. Fuck the suburbs plain and simple. Go to Chicago or Philly or NYC or San Fran or any city take your pick just not Detroit suburbs!!! And all suburbs for that matter. That lifestyle is unsustainable and ultimately doomed. Go for an unsustainable doomed future, your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Leave Michigan if you leave Detroit. Fuck the suburbs plain and simple. Go to Chicago or Philly or NYC or San Fran or any city take your pick just not Detroit suburbs!!! And all suburbs for that matter. That lifestyle is unsustainable and ultimately doomed. Go for an unsustainable doomed future, your choice.
    It's funny, when I first saw this thread, I thought he was talking about the metro area & state in general. Then after I read the OP, I cried a bit inside and thought the exact same thing you just posted.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-21-10 at 06:57 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

Hell, leave the US altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    After 23 years of living in Detroit I think I've had all I can take of the city. If I stay in Michigan what Metro Detroit cities do you all think I should consider moving to?
    Thanks in advance.
    You might want to give some more info. such as where your job is located, what your interests are, family situation etc.

Chuck_MI Guest

Maybe check out Highland Park.

Long Lake Guest

Ignore the ignorant haters who are mad you are leaving the city. You have to do what's right for you and your family.

Tell us more about your preferences and budget, and we can give you options.

O P.........why are you leaving. What has you in a way, that you would want to leave?

If you share , that might allow some to understand?

If you are partial to an academic atmosphere, try somewhere out around Oakland University. Some of the apartment/townhouse complexes out that way have a lot of student tenants. If you want to get out, but still near shopping, try just east of Great Lakes Mall. Quick access to shopping and quick access to I-75. I would like to live on the river [[or close to it) up around Marine City.

As noted above, it really depends on your job and family.

L'Anse Cruese school district is top notch without being too snooty.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I am not going to argue that there are plenty of other states better than Michigan to live in but I happen to live here in Michigan in the suburbs [[North Oakland) and I live a comfortable life. Not perfect, but where is these days? I am not suggesting where to move to but again, I have a fine life. I did not realize I was doomed or could not sustain my life or lifestyle. Oh well, I guess this will be my last post now that I have to go off myself because I do not live in Detroit proper. Goodbye my cruel, cruel world, sorry you did not supply me with a perfectly smooth life to skate by on! Oh wait, my bad, I cannot take myself out as it probably would not go smoothly therefore it is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Hell, leave the US altogether.
    Heh, welcome to Windsor, Ontario. I'm surprised at how many Americans I've met in the past year who'd rather get a Nexus pass and commute from Windsor to their job in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by janesback View Post
    O P.........why are you leaving. What has you in a way, that you would want to leave?

If you share , that might allow some to understand?
    I'm self employed so my buisness goes where I go.
    There are many reasons why I'm thinking of leaving.
    [[1).I'm sick of the high crime rate. I know crime occurs everywhere but I'd like to live somewhere that has a lesser degree of it than Detroit does. [[2)The quality of city services is,in my opinion, are lacking to say the least. For example,on the last night of the City Fest I heard a woman yelling for help. The woman said"help me he's trying to kill me!" I wasn't sure if this was a real plea or the ramblings of someone who'd had too much to drink. I looked out my bedroom window and saw a man and woman tussling. I watched for a minute or two and then I saw the woman fall to the ground and she didn't get back up. To be on the safe side I telephoned the police to report this. I waited 30 minutes and no squad car came. I called back to report the woman was laying on the side walk[[partially in the street)and requested a car again.Another 15 minutes passed and still no officer[[despite the precinict is 3 blocks away from my home). I called a third time and was told to call 911. The 911 dispatcher told me[[quite rudely)that she was aware of the complaint and a car would come whenever they could get there. I finally had to call yet again and threaten to call one of the local television stations before I got a car dispatched. Turns out the woman was just drunk but for all I know this was a legitimate crime/incident.
    On another occasion one night I looked out and saw a man in the back alley. I watched for a minute only to see the man put something in a trash can of a local warehouse. He then set the can on fire. I called the police to report it. I was told to call the fire dept. The fire dept told me to call 911. 911 told me that wasn't an emergency. The next day I went down the alley and found the remains of some sort of cable. I assume the man was trying to melt the cable to get to the copper. A few nights later the same man came back only to do the same thing again. I went throught the same routine only in reverse. I called 911 who told me to call the fire department who in turn told me to call the police department who in turn never showed up. I called the chief of police[[got no result),called the chief of the fire department[[no result)and called council[[no result). I called 311 next day and was told to take a picture or video of the man in the act of burning whatever it was he was burning. The man came back yet again,I called 911 and was told that I could confront the man myself. I,and a neighbor did just that. The man didn't stop what he was doing when we confronted him. I then called 911 back[[standing in front of the man while he was burining whatever it was he was burning)and demanded someone be sent out. A fire truck came and the man ran off when he saw the truck.
    [[3)The mentality of the citizens[[not all but apparently all that I come accross)leaves much to be desired.
    Bottom line is I'm sick of Detroit.
    So,if I decide not to leave the state all together,any suggestions? BTW,please if you don't have anything constructive to offer then pass this thread by. Suggesting Highland Park over Detroit[[if the poster wasn't being sincere)isn't very useful to me.
    Last edited by trotwood; January-21-10 at 08:17 PM.

Ah, the question many of us ask ourselves on a daily basis. Usually followed by the question "what are the advantages of living in Detroit?"

I've struggled with this same question now that the chickadee is finally tired of being locked-in south of 8 Mile, [[i.e. can't walk the dog or ride the bike or get fucking gas without being accosted by fuckin' creeps, or how bout shitheads banging on the door staring in the window begging for 60 cents). "But where?"

As a proud DPS grad and long time volunteer, and someone who works on Detroit houses all day everyday, after having watched so many other Detroit Hangers-on in my age group and positions finally say fuck this town, I still don't know where to go. Several of them have left altogether with the job shituation. Others have chosen the water and the Pointes, [[Park or Woods). Others have picked Ferndale because of its central location and affordable housing stock. All have a potential for the ghetto to move in a block away, which seems to be my childhood and adult life. All have equally ignorant red-neck or racist white folks I can't stand the fuck out of, either.

Do you pack up and leave altogether, as was mentioned above? Is the culture in Michigan so bass-ackwards that the only redeeming quality left here is the water?

What is the next move for someone who has given their soul to this town, who watched the Renaissance [[or at least the optimism) our parents waited for [[but got impatient and left), that upswing, that for a fleeting moment we all got geeked about, only to watch it come crashing down around us?

Trotwood, I feel your confusion.

Trotwood: If you have kids, look for a good school district. No kids to worry about, find a place well out on the I-75 or I-94 corridor.

Okay, now that you've stated the negatives of Detroit, can you state what you're looking for [[other than the opposite of the negatives)?

For example, do you want neighbors you see and barbecue with or do you want neighbors that leave you alone?

Do you want access to the freeways? Water? Special things you like to do? Parks? Biking? Shopping? Bars? Walking?Bedroom community?

Thanks Hamtragedy.

It's just me Hermod so I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Okay, now that you've stated the negatives of Detroit, can you state what you're looking for [[other than the opposite of the negatives)?

For example, do you want neighbors you see and barbecue with or do you want neighbors that leave you alone?

Do you want access to the freeways? Water? Special things you like to do? Parks? Biking? Shopping? Bars? Walking?Bedroom community?
    I want neighbors who take pride in where they live[[be it a rental or their own property).
    I'd like access to freeways as well as public transportation&shopping[[grocery,retail,etc). I'd like to live in a 'walkable' neighborhood. It would be nice to be able to take an after dinner walk without worry about being accosted[[if that's at all possible).
    BTW,as far as neighbors go I'd like friendly approchable neighbors. I don't want to live near a bunch of Gladys Kravitzes but would want personable neighbors.

Thanks Hamtragedy.

It's just me Hermod so I'll keep your suggestion in mind.
    Apartment, town house, or freestanding home?

maybe try Gary Indiana, or Compton California, I heard Camden NJ is nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Apartment, town house, or freestanding home?
    Open to any of those.

I'm self employed so my buisness goes where I go.
    There are many reasons why I'm thinking of leaving.
    [[1).I'm sick of the high crime rate.
    In Windsor, Canada, if you call the fire department over an open pit fire such as someone lighting up a garbage can, I can guarantee you a fire truck will show up in 2-3 minutes to put it out or make the owner put it out.. If there's an open pit fire in a garbage can in someone's backyard, they'll be there in 2-3 minutes and write the owner a ticket.

Crime in progress such as a woman yelling "Someone's trying to kill me"? You'll have a swat team there in a couple minutes. Just a week ago, there was a domestic disturbance with a man yelling at a woman inside an apartment on Giles Blvd just outside of downtown. The neighbours called the police. A swat team shows up and the man is arrested. http://www.windsorstar.com/entertain...332/story.html

A homicide rate that's only 2.5 vs 43 per 100,000 in Detroit and every homicide solved for the past decade.

Ferndale. Progressive and diverse social dynamic, you'll be close to major freeways, quick access to Detroit, great places to eat [[only of the only places around that you can have a meal from almost anyplace in the world), affordable housing and somewhat stable home prices and great city services [[the cops will be anywhere in a matter of minutes). Water rates may kill ya a bit and the school district practices the aged-based learning model, but everyplace will have some sort of trade off.

Find a place in the City of Rochester [[not Rochester Hills). Some interesting old houses, some newer apartments, and a walkable downtown. You will have to fire up the car to go outside of town to a supermarket, but most other things such as a doughnut and coffee, a pharmacy, a decent meal, or window shopping, you can just walk around the town. Not too far from picking up I-75.

Rochester is an excellent community, walkable, a great downtown [[for the burbs), a focus on sustainability, still very auto centric tho, unless you get a home closer to downtown.

Ferndale, Royal Oak, Dearborn, and above all ANN ARBOR would seem to offer good options. Maybe Grand Rapids?

Mind field,Davewindsor,Hermod,&Baselinepunk I thank you for the suggestions and your time
    I appreciate it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast