Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Martha Jean "The Queen of Detroit"

I am working on a project to commemorate Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg in the city of Detroit, and I wondered if there are any of you who have good memory or positive experience you would like to share. For those of you that remember that "You Are Somebody", in the city of Detroit In my research I came across the attachment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxmphAWUdc

I would also go over to the "Soulful Detroit" forum and there you could probably find some articles on Martha Jean as well as people who are knowlegable of her career in Detroit.

Wow that takes me back... I did not listen to the show alot, but I used to love the poetic trademark introduction where she did this 2 minute of so monologue salute to all the blue color, factory and food service workers etc. of the city [["...those of you who earn your living by the sweat of your brow..." with this really cool gospel organ background.... It was beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalDoctor View Post
    I am working on a project to commemorate Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg in the city of Detroit, and I wondered if there are any of you who have good memory or positive experience you would like to share. For those of you that remember that "You Are Somebody", in the city of Detroit In my research I came across the attachment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABxmphAWUdc
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-22-10 at 03:38 PM.

My late mother listened to Martha Jean's daily radio broadcast religiously. When I first moved to Detroit I wasn't a Martha Jean fan. To be honest,I didn't know what to make of her or how to take her lol. Over the years[[and thanks to my mom)I became a regular listener as well. In 1994 I finally met Martha Jean in person,though not under the best of circumstances. A dear dear friend of mine passed away and his memorial service was held at The Home Of Love. Martha Jean spoke so eloquently&lovingly at the service. She made all in attendance feel genuinely welcomed&loved. She was so soft spoken&warm that she gave off a sense of peace and well being. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I left The Home Of Love[[and Martha's presence)feeling as though I'd been in the embrace of a warm,loving,caring soul.
    I've never forgotten that moment and I'll never forget[[or stop loving)Martha Jean The Queen.
    "I bet ya"

Wrote a little sketch of the Queen some years ago. I'm sure you have much more than I ever found about her time in Detroit, but you might find the references and the stuff about her time in Memphis interesting.

http://www.answers.com/topic/martha-...ueen-steinberg

Thanks for sharing that... brought back more memories. I wonder who is running the Home of Love now. I think it was on Grand River? Not sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    My late mother listened to Martha Jean's daily radio broadcast religiously. When I first moved to Detroit I wasn't a Martha Jean fan. To be honest,I didn't know what to make of her or how to take her lol. Over the years[[and thanks to my mom)I became a regular listener as well. In 1994 I finally met Martha Jean in person,though not under the best of circumstances. A dear dear friend of mine passed away and his memorial service was held at The Home Of Love. Martha Jean spoke so eloquently&lovingly at the service. She made all in attendance feel genuinely welcomed&loved. She was so soft spoken&warm that she gave off a sense of peace and well being. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I left The Home Of Love[[and Martha's presence)feeling as though I'd been in the embrace of a warm,loving,caring soul.
    I've never forgotten that moment and I'll never forget[[or stop loving)Martha Jean The Queen.
    "I bet ya"

I'm not sure who runs The Home Of Love now or if it's still open.
    If memory serves it's on Grand River just off of Livernois.

Martha Jean is entombed in Elmwood Cemetery amongst many other elite Detroiters.
    You betcha'!
    http://elmwoodhistoriccemetery.org/pages/takeatour.html

All of my experience with her was extremely positive. Two things stood out to me: Once I showed up to WQBH to pick up my check and happened to be in a suit. She caught me & dragged me through the station to show me off to all the ladies! Another time I went in for a midnight shift she happened to still be there late. I had a couple earrings in my ear [[I was told when I came in to lose the earrings, as she didn't like men wearing them. This made for an interesting conversation where I was doing everything I could do to not let her see the left side of my head! Another time I had to ask about this older photograph of a beautiful young woman that was there with her name on it [[taken when she was about 20.) Her face lit up when I told her that if I had caught her back then, there would have been trouble!

My Mother used to listen to the Queen everyday. I still hear the Rev James Cleveland recording "Without a Song" playing in the background. Man, she loved that song !!

I should have snatched up the sealed copy of a Martha Jean the Queen record album I stumbled across as I collect Detroit memorabilia...

Where do I start? I worked at WQBH from 1988 to 1991, first as a producer of her show and production guy to doing mornings on WQBH. I have so many wonderful memories of Queen. There was the show at the Ford Theater that we sponsored featuring the music of the Dramatics. Backstage she told the guys that I needed help with my "steps" and had the Dramatics teach me how to step. There were her Palm Sunday Gospel Services at the Masonic that were always sold out. There were the lunches that she would have brought in to the station for the whole staff once a month that featured some incredible food. There was the gospel music that I got to know and now love. There was the Michigan Chronicle "Favorite DJ" contest when she told her listeners to vote for me [[I came in third behind Mojo and Mason). There were the visits from Coleman Young that were better off the air than on. There was her cleanliness thing, where she would spray Windex all over the studio while she was on the air and wipe everything down. There were the times that I patiently waited for her to come to the studio to record her commercials. She came in on her time, not yours. Sometimes it was right after her show, but more times than not it was later in the day. Once in a while, MUCH later.

There's the story of how she was "saved." As much as I can recollect, she was on the air, when the studios were located in Broderick Tower, and the lights in the building went out except for her studio, which got brighter and brighter. She was spoken to by God that day and shortly after started the Home of Love. This is from my recollection and I may have a few things mixed up.

She loved her listeners, she loved her family, she loved her clients, and she really loved her city. Most importantly, she was fair, honest, a true believer in the CoD, and gave a tall skinny white kid from the burbs a chance to really learn radio from what I feel is a legend. She did have a bit of an ego, but she earned every ounce of it. My life is blessed to have had Queen in it, and I will forever be greatful to her. She was an incredible woman and I loved her very much.

I could go on and on, but allow me to say that I truly miss her and wish that I had kept in better touch after I had left her employ. God Bless you, we love YOU, Queen. I betcha.
    Last edited by mallory; January-25-10 at 09:26 AM.

She truly did care for this City. She came from an era of Detroit radio where people listened to her, recognized her and respected what she had to say. Gone are those days of when a radio personality made a difference. God bless the Queen.

Default Martha Jean "The Queen of Detroit" Steinberg

PT#1
    We started out with a few designs, upon our first selections we had the options of contemporary and traditional designs. From those designs we selected the best possibilities, sculptor and my good friend Edward Chesney. He just loved the idea of commemorating Martha Jean. Despite his age and progressing illness. He didn't hesitate to craft a beautiful model of "The Queen" in clay.

Attachment 5030
    Traditional Design

Attachment 5031
    Traditional Design

Attachment 5032
    Traditional Design

Attachment 5033
    Contemporary Design

Attachment 5034
    Sandra Steinberg looks just like Martha Jean

Look for PT#2

Default PT#2 Martha Jean "The Queen of Detroit"

PT#2
    Attachment 5035
    Sandra Steinberg and Edward Chesney Contemplating

Attachment 5036
    Agreeing more and more...

Attachment 5037
    Martha Jean Marquette

Attachment 5038
    Marco Evans drawing full scale

Attachment 5039
    Completed full scale drawing by Marco Evans

For many years Edward worked from Marco Evan's drawings, and the results are plain to see. Unfortunately on April 15, 2008 my good friend made his transition. To me, I'll miss him just like Martha Jean. Looking back over 20 years it truly has been a privilege being graced with the presence of such wonderful individuals.

Look for PT#3!

Default PT#3 Martha Jean "The Queen of Detroit" Steinberg

PT#3

Just as it would be God's plan, Sculptor Carl W. Goines, President of 555 Art Studio stepped in to carry on the baton. Incorporated effort AOMAI,[[Architectural Ornamental Metal Art Initiative), and 555 Art Studio will see through that Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg receives an adequate memorial of world class standard, to remind everyone that you are truly somebody.

Attachment 5040
    Sculptor Carl W.Goines

Attachment 5041
    Carl Detailing

I declare Martha Jean as a patron of the arts and to all creative people. Of course to many people Martha Jean means many things, but to me she held the key to prosperity despite a desperate and deprived situation. You can overcome all obstacles if you believe in your destiny

Attachment 5042
    Just Getting warmed up!

Attachment 5043
    Making Swift Progress

If you would like to get involved, please send me an e-mail cnielbock@sbcglobal.net subject "The Queen" and I will get back with you.

Metal Doctor

God bless you Metal Doctor.
    The Queen would be so honored&proud.
    "I bet ya"

Incredible work! Seeing these pictures [[and Sandra) makes me miss Queen all the more. Keep on keepin' on, I betcha!

Miss you, Queen.

Awe yes, “This is Martha Jean the Queen” could be heard coming from most every radio on my street back in the 70s, and I made reference to this in my book Motown Girl Sister Golden Hair. I grew up on 35th Street in Detroit and Martha Jean was very much a part of our place in time.
    Johnnie Sue
    Last edited by Johnnie Sue Bridges; January-28-10 at 12:42 PM.

Default Today marks the Anniversary of Martha Jean's transition.

We seem to be making swift progress. Looking back over ten years, are we worse off or better?

Attachment 5058
    Carl is demonstrating a traditional way of sculpturing

Attachment 5059

He takes great pride in his artistry and craftsmenship

Attachment 5060

Slowly Martha Jean emerges

Attachment 5064

Filling Carl with pride and gratitude

Today marks the 10th anniversary. January 29th, 2000

Im sure glad the memorial project is progressing so well, so maybe by her birthday the 9th of September, we will have a great thing to announce.Don't miss your chance to be a part of it!

What a wonderful way to get involved in the community and for business owners, this a wonderful way of showing true Corporate Social Responsibility! I have a few ideas to share as well.

Dont forget about the African American History Day at the Detroit Historical Museum.Saturday Feb.6, 11-4pm. Currently this Museum has an exhibit on Classic Radio Voices including Martha Jean "The Queen" Steinberg among the few listed. This might be a good opportunity to view the museums artifacts and gather more ideas for your project.

My favorite memory of Martha Jean was around 1970.

I was listening to the radio in my Nash Metropolitan while I worked on it. Martha Jean began a spot for a condiment to which I had never before paid attention. I was so mesmerized by her smoky smooth voice and how she described the ways that Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce could be used, I pretty much just dropped my wrench and went inside to put Frank's on a hard boiled egg.

I can still hear her voice, augmented by the ever-present reverb and made silky soft by the Nash's tube radio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast