Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Restoring Cleveland - This could work here?

In the economist is an article about micro-co'ops taking root in Cleveland. Do we have something like this? If so where? If not any ideas why not?

http://www.economist.com/world/unite...ry_id=15213793

What happened to that food co-op off Cass it was a start?

We could learn a lot from Cleveland, in many areas. That's a city that endured major setbacks and is still hanging in there, and improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    We could learn a lot from Cleveland, in many areas. That's a city that endured major setbacks and is still hanging in there, and improving.
    And Detroit will hang in there too. There is too much there for it to do anything else but hang in there. Detroit is a great city and will be there forever. I just wish they could fix some of the problems Detroit has, but I've given up hope on that.

I visited Cleveland for the first time recently and driving up Euclid I wished Woodward was more like it. I liked the bike lanes and bus lanes.

While there were other things happening in the 1980s to get the movement going, the Gateway project in downtown Detroit, which became Jacobs Field and Gund Arena [[now Progressive Field and Quicken Loans Arena, but I'll never call them that) is what got the real "feel" of things getting down moving -- and national attention.

Also, the opening of the big mall inside the Terminal Tower and the redevelopment of the Flats into an entertainment district were huge physical improvements.

The city also got the psychological boost of the Indians turning from a joke into a World Series team at the same time. Perfect storm.

Detroit could do similar stuff ... or just go get LeBron.

Speaking of Cleveland's rebirth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM