Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quicken anyone?

Default Quicken anyone?

What is the status and new timetable for their downtown relocation?

[[[[[[insert maniacal, hysterical laughing here)))

Until the economy picks up, we have no idea.

I hear they are going to have a Cheesecake Factory and a House of Blues in the Lobby!

Retroit Guest

I guess we'll have to wait until the next housing and mortgage bubble. Let's hope that Congress doesn't outlaw unethical lending practices.

Even money says it's going to be into the top floors of Compuware, in my mind, with no new construction.

At least there will be more workers downtown... I don't think we're going to see any major building anytime soon.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Re: Quicken

My bet goes for the United Artist Building. Supposedly Gilbert loves to do large motivational assemblies, and was impressed by the vacant theater.

there's also been some work going on at UA... maybe you're on to something

The work going on at the United Artists Building/Theatre has been very hush-hush. No comments by the J. C. Beale folks working there.

From what I've heard no permits have been pulled at City Hall, so it is top secret. If the Ilitch's had been planning on demo'ing the complex, it is doubtful that they would be putting a new roof on the complex [[done nearly 2 years ago). Work has been sporatically going on there ever since, with a pickup in activity in recent months.

My gut feeling is that he's still asssembling land nearby, and doesn't wants land prices to skyrocket any more than they already have, by announcing any development to the UA complex.

But I [[and several other folks on this forum) have stated that it would make a great auditorium for Gilbert to assemble his workers during daylight hours, and make a great Quicken Center for the Performing Arts at night.

Old pic's of this once spectacular, exotic, and acoustically perfect 2,070 seat movie palace...
    Name:  ua-4.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  47.5 KB

Attachment 621

Attachment 622
    Last edited by Lowell; May-15-09 at 10:09 AM.

Bump....

Speaking of the United Artists complex as being a new Quicken center... here is a pic of the United Artists Theatre likely taken before J.C. Beale secured the building and theatre and put a new roof on both.

Although the interior of the theatre is severly damaged, it is not beyond repair... since much of the damage is plasterwork which can be remolded and fixed up.

Except for the Fox [[and the old destroyed Fisher), no Detroit theatre was as exotic as the Spanish Gothic/Art Deco styled United Artists. When it first opened on Feb. 3, 1928, the Freep said "it had the air and mystique of some ancient Castilian courtyard"... sort of like some ancient long forgotten wonder of an Indiana Jones movie...

And with superb acoustics, who knows... it would make a nice Quicken Center for the Performing Arts....
    Attachment 826
    Last edited by Lowell; May-15-09 at 10:10 AM.

there's one of those garbage tubes coming out of one of the upper floors... I just keep hoping....

Crain's real estate reporter, who's quite plugged in on this stuff [[and sits next to me), has some thoughts on the pending Quicken announcement:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/duggan

Well, that's interesting. A person who runs a business in the Compuware building told me today that about 1000 people will be moving in by July. He was excited because he believed this would help his struggling business. He did not tell me who was moving in. He probably doesn't know, yet.
    "It also sounds like the Compuware Building is where the action will be. I've heard that the deal will most likely go there with Quicken taking the unoccupied space created by recent layoffs."

Quicken moving to Compuware would be 100% in line with what I have heard on decent authority is going to happen.

Frankly, it's very logical.

1) Compuware has tons of extra space

2) Compuware is a class A building, it's ready to go

3) Karmanos was one of the people lobbying Quicken to come down

4) Attached parking

The only three spots I could see Quicken going, practically, are 1001 as it has a garage; the old Hudson's site [[but construction is not happening in this economy), and Compuware.

Too bad Borders couldn't hang on. Their last day in the Compuware building is June 4th.

i think the best case scenario is that quicken moves 1000 people into compuware shortly... and then when the economy recovers, compuware will need that space again and quicken can move to 1001 and bring the remaining 3000 people downtown

Well I for one will be really pissed if they move to the RenCen....

Back in the late 1990's GM was booting folks out of the complex when their leases expired. 1,700 Ford employees moved to Dearborn, and other companies moved to Southfield.

One step forward... two steps back...

Also, don't expect too many of those laid off Compuware workers to refill their HQ building. The Hi-Tech job drain to India has not abated....
    Last edited by Gistok; May-08-09 at 09:57 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Maybe it's time for some new corporate blood Gistok?

If they move to Compuware, then what could all that work be for at the United Artist?

I'm still hoping [[foolishly maybe) that with a scaled down Quicken HQ, that he'll still pick the United Artists... hell I'd be even happy with 1001 Woodward at this point...

But if he does just take over a few floors of the Compuware Building... it will make for no splash whatsoever.... no "corporate identity" downtown to speak of. For some reason, I think he wants the Quicken name splashed on some building... and that won't happen at Compuware.

And besides... at Compuware HQ... where's he going to give his big rally speeches and pep rallies?

DetroitDad Guest

I'm wondering if the Compuware move could be temporary until a new building or renovation is complete. The United Artist would take years to complete. That way they could do a partial move now, and renovate slowly with cash on hand.

Either way, something is definitely going on at the United Artist Building.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-10-09 at 06:49 PM.

Gistok - The whole top floor of Compuware is a pseudo-convention center, I've been to a few events up there. Auditorium as well.

It's not about identity, methinks it's about dollars at this point. I know some folk who have already arranged for their places in Detroit and have moved into the city proper [[I know at least 5 people who make over 70k a year who've moved into the city due to this) so something is pretty imminent.

Who owns the UA building?

Illitch does, right?

Illitch owns the UA and I believe the former Tuller site. Why not renovate the UA and connect with a building on the Tuller site. A half new, half historic structure.

Yes Ilitch owns the entire block, which consisted of 5 parcels.... the UA Building/Theatre, the former Tuller Hotel site [[formerly city owned), and 2 private parking lots... one between the former Tuller & UA, the other at the NW tip of the block. These 2 sites had been parking lots ever since the UA was built in 1927-28, and heirs of the owner sold the parking lots to Ilitch at some time in the last 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    And besides... at Compuware HQ... where's he going to give his big rally speeches and pep rallies?
    There is theater seating inside the Compuware building, although I'm not sure what the capacity of it is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast