Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by chopingirl View Post
    Does anyone remember the name of the bar on the northeast corner of McGraw and Addison? It burned down in a suspicious fire killing someone.
    I remember it was a "Sports Bar" towards the end, with waitresses dressed like refs. Shortly there after, it burned down. It happened on New Years Eve, I'm pretty sure. I remember driving by on New Year's day and looking @ the charred rubble. I only stopped in a couple of times. Though the name escapes me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, great stuff.
    I would like to thank everyone too! I started this thread over four years ago!

Senate, remember the streak sandwich with chilli

Remember a these joints had fifteen cents bombas

Bar on St.John n Freer, is called Corner Pocket Lounge. I can remember it being called Softball Bar, after Laidback Lounge. Then Lady D's

Did the Open Door Baptist Missionary Church replace Logan School on Ciccote or is the school still there? I could only see pictures and couldn't tell!

Just found this site. I too grew up in the 60's and 70's in southwest Detroit. I grew up in a very polish catholic family. I am in college doing a resarch project on the old neighborhood and ethnic groups. I am looking all over for pictures of Michigan Ave circa 1960 and 1970. I need pics of Cunninghams, Tranzic, Pruszkowski Drugs [[I hope I am spelling these right), Neisners, Five and Dime, etc. Does anyone have any of these? I would greatly appreciate it. I did take a few of my own the other day, but I want to see pics of the stores that are no longer on Michgan. I remember a deli with a big mirror and I remember Tranzic, think that is how you spell it. My aunt still frequents Tel Way. I lived off Proctor and my grandmother lived on Chopin. Most attended Chatsey High and I attended St. Andrew and Priest schools.

Susan

Thanking you in advance for your help, my project is due by Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanya View Post
    Just found this site. I too grew up in the 60's and 70's in southwest Detroit. I grew up in a very polish catholic family. I am in college doing a resarch project on the old neighborhood and ethnic groups. I am looking all over for pictures of Michigan Ave circa 1960 and 1970. I need pics of Cunninghams, Tranzic, Pruszkowski Drugs [[I hope I am spelling these right), Neisners, Five and Dime, etc. Does anyone have any of these? I would greatly appreciate it. I did take a few of my own the other day, but I want to see pics of the stores that are no longer on Michgan. I remember a deli with a big mirror and I remember Tranzic, think that is how you spell it. My aunt still frequents Tel Way. I lived off Proctor and my grandmother lived on Chopin. Most attended Chatsey High and I attended St. Andrew and Priest schools.

Susan

Thanking you in advance for your help, my project is due by Friday.
    I also grew up in the neighborhood in the 60s and 70s. Piaskowski Drugs, Jaworski Deli, Plizga Shoes, Gniewek Trophies, a mens clothing store whose name I can't remember, a dry goods store, Johns Barbershop, 52nd Show Bar.

Default Connection?? Do you know the Oblak family?

Seems to me to me my mom mentioned the Stempien family. We lived on Proctor and Chopin.

Quote Originally Posted by stan300 View Post
    As of today, Stempien's is still open. My brother Ken is the third generation owner of the bar [[lounge). Our grandfather John was the 1st owner [[Stempien's Bar), followed by my dad Stan & my uncle Adam [[Stempien Bros. Bar), then by my dad alone [[Stempien's Sidestreet Lounge) and then my brother Ken. The bar has been in existence for nearly a century.
    I [[nickname Sonny), was born and raised in Detroit in 1938, attended Our Lady Queen of Angels church and grade school, University of Detroit High School and College, and moved to Ft. Lauderdale , FL in 1969. I have many memories of the Michigan/ Livernois area of the Westside of Detroit, including the bars, businesses, softball, bowling, schools, Boy's Club, etc. I plan on sharing my memories of my 30 early years with anyone interested.

An excellent discussion! As an east-sider, a lot of this is new to me & pretty fascinating. I'm really enjoying it.

I just found this website and thread. Very interesting! I lived in Casper St. in the 60s. Right down from Priest School where I went to kindergarten. Then on to St. Lawrence! Lots of memories. Anyone still out there? I see this is an old thread.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8