Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Study Request from German Student

The following arrived in today's email bag. In the spirit of DetroitYES good will you are invited to to help out, if you wish.

Dear DetroitYES-Team,

I am a student of the University of Potsdam, Germany, writing my master thesis for the American Studies Institute about Detroit’s public space. For my master thesis I would like to know what Detroiters and Metro Detroiters think about regenerated places like Campus Martius Park, the Riverfront, parks and the streetscape downtown.

As popular Forum for Detroit I thought it may be a good idea to contact you. I wonder if you could fill out my questionnaire. The topic of my questionnaire is "Accessibility and Utilization of Places in Detroit’s Public Space". You find my questionnaire on my website I prepared for easier handling and better evaluation of the outcome.

You find the address below. Your answers will certainly remain absolutely anonymous, will only be used for my master thesis, and never be passed on to others. It will take only about 10 minutes to fill out the form.
    http://kerstin4detroit.npage.de/

I apologize for taking your time and thank you for your cooperation.

With best regards from Germany,

Kerstin Oelstrom

A well written request from a polite student deserves a response in kind.

/off to click on the link

That was easy enough. Survey completed.

Survey done!

Survey completed. Good luck with your project.

U got it!!

Survey fini ~

lilpup Guest

oy - careful with the methodology - how ensuring only locals fill out the survey?

I did it too.

Anyone interested in good things about Detroit is a friend of mine, especially if they're German!

I'm speaking in about 10 days in Switzerland on a subject that had its birth in Detroit.

I wish Ms. Oelstrom great success.

Done .............................................!

Maybe you should respond over there instead of acting as a messenger and advertiser of what you purport to despise?

She's doing typical research and data collection to write her study. A research paper requires statistics and sources, etc. Some of the questions may seem a bit frivolous or unfocused but she will take them and do statistical analysis that will likely lead to charts and graphics, etc.

Answering the questions will assist her in the data side of her research, please do the survey. The more data she gets the better her statistics and is of great importance to her.

Mission complete!

Done, and done.

Done on my end.

detroitjim Guest

Done Did!!! or is Did Done?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    The sharp-fanged wag has a point. I filled out the survey, and I wish her well with her paper, but I don't know what she expects to find out by asking these particular questions.
    Neither do I, but I'm not trained in quantitative data analysis either. I suspect the dystentery guy [[or whatever that cranky blog is called) is not either.

Done! I hope she will share her results, or at least a summary of her thesis, when it's finished.

finito................

Since I am not local, I am not going to participate in the survey, as I do not want to skew your results. However, if you have the time, you may want to look into seeing if you can make contacts at some downtown businesses and neighborhood organizations. Through DetroitYes!, you can gain access to a certain segment of people living in the city. However, through polling commuting workers, as well as downtown residents, I am sure you could gain a much broader perspective. And to the extent possible, considering the views of tourists would be great, though I understand that doing this from Germany is probably nearly impossible.