Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Mlk

Default Mlk

Today we slow down and recognize MLK's contributions that is still building a future that was intended for all Americans regardless of their political beliefs, color, religious or non religious beliefs ...for having a dream of equality is really a dream for a better union for all Americans. For having a dream for equality is the most patriotic of actions that we can embark on.

By risking one's life for liberation of our collective souls Dr. King has laid a foundation of a country yet to be fulfilled...By building a bridge of inclusion..we should all realize that when we demonize a group of people we are only taking away from our own moral fibers...by perpetuating conflicts over land, religion or resources we take away from our future. It is only when we practice social justice for all people taht our greatness be recognized.

...that when we fail to see the root causes of oppression we will never understand conflict...when we blame the victims we are not practicing humanity. When we say we are a fair nation then by not practicing it or selling weapons to those who use them illegally on their own people we do not practice moral justice.

Never agian shall a Jewish child fear walking their streets nor a Gazan , never again shall a GLB couple should fear going to a school, never shall a child die in Sudan or Haiti for lack of food, never shall a Palestinian or Israeli baby be treated differently...MLK focused on the the human condition of all mankind... an dwe a better off becuase of this.

I have a dream was a beginning, and a dream can become a goal for all of us to follow, but action is even more of a tribute to a great American...

Let us find what brings the us together is more powerful than what seperates us.

I truly beleive that when you listen to the needs of the oppressed and poor it becomes a road map for prosperity for all.

God Bless MLK...we thank you for your legacy.
    Last edited by gibran; January-18-10 at 08:34 PM.

Below are a videos of two well known speeches:

Martin Luther King "I have a dream"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

Martin Luther King's Prophetic Last speech
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1L8y...eature=related

A few of his well known and lesser known quotes:

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"All we say to America is to be true to what you said on paper."
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The moral arc of the universe bends at the elbow of justice." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I would have liked to gone, but fortunately, I didnt and avoided becoming a victim of the parade....I planned on going to my old high school on the same day, and sadly three people got shot from a 14 year old carrying a gun.

I know San Antonio had the largest MLK paradein the nation but after this, I hope it stays that way

From the San Antonio Express NEWS

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc..._shooting.html

Gunfire disrupted Monday's message of peace.
    With hundreds still gathered at Pittman-Sullivan Park after the MLK March and Commemorative Program, police said a boy, 14, shot a .45-caliber handgun at rival gang members in a nearby parking lot, officials said.
    “It's a shame,” said San Antonio Police Chief William McManus. “Disrespectful is too light a term, but, it disrespects what this day is all about. It's sad.”
    Two women, ages 18 and 21, and a boy, 13, were hospitalized with injuries not believed to be life threatening. Their names had not been released.
    McManus, who took part in the march honoring Martin Luther King Jr., said about 40 officers were in the East Side area for crowd control as part of the day's celebrations. Organizers claim the city's march is one of the largest in the country, attracting about 100,000 participants each year.
    At about 3:30 p.m., as youths gathered in the parking lot of Church's Chicken at Nevada and South New Braunfels Avenue, two groups started throwing gang signs, McManus said.
    “It's traditional for young people to come hang out in this area, and that can attract gangs,” he said.
    The alleged shooter fired twice, police said, but struck three people who were not the intended targets, McManus said.
    Officers quickly detained the suspect and recovered the handgun. Another boy, 15, was taken into custody and questioned, but not arrested, according to the chief. The suspected shooter faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
    “I think this goes to show you that these gangs, and gang members, start out at a young age,” McManus said.
    Following the shooting, police shut down South New Braunfels and hundreds of people in the streets were asked to move.
    “It's awful,” said Yolanda Speceiro, 32, who was at the park. “This is not what Martin Luther King is supposed to be about.”
    “He would be so ashamed,” said Rosemary Alvarado, 28.
    The two women, and Christina Alvarez, 29, brought their three children, ages 10 and 11, to enjoy the day.
    Five years ago, also on the day of the MLK March, three people, all in their 20s, were shot during a disturbance at an East Side home a couple of blocks from the park.
    George Espinoza, 40, said while the shooting marred the end of Monday's celebrations, the march itself was a success.
    “It was a beautiful ceremony,” Espinoza said. “But to be celebrating the dream of Martin Luther King and now have a shooting, I can't believe it.”

One of my favorites:

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

MLK

Indeed that's a good one... here's one I love:

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- MLK

http://www.quotationspage.com/search...contrib&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    One of my favorites:

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."

MLK

Retroit Guest

"I'm not afraid of any man."