Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Big Boy" Founder Passes

Posted: Jan. 18, 2010
    Louis Elias: From a diner in Hazel Park, he and brothers built Big Boy franchise

BY STEVE NEAVLING
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Louis Elias lived the restaurant business.

Apart from a fleeting passion for thoroughbred horses, Mr. Elias spent long days and nights as franchiser of the entire Big Boy chain until it was sold in 2000.

Mr. Elias, 93, died Thursday at his home in West Bloomfield.

Family, friends and former employees are to gather today to say good-bye to the last of the three Elias brothers, who became Big Boy Restaurant franchisees in 1952.

"If you asked him what his hobbies were, he'd say the restaurant business," nephew Chris Elias said Sunday. "It was his life and passion. He worked long hours every day."

In 1938, Mr. Elias and his two brothers, John and Fred Sr., launched their first business venture, Fred's Chili Bowl in Detroit. Four years later, they were one of the first Midwesterners to offer curbside services with a 16-seat diner -- Dixie Drive-In in Hazel Park. It became Big Boy in 1952.

John Elias died in 1974.

By 1984, Fred and Louis Elias became the worldwide franchisers of the Big Boy Restaurant system, operating more than 900 Big Boys in the U.S., Canada and Japan.

Despite his long hours, Louis Elias served as mayor of Hazel Park from 1953 to 1961, donating his salary to charity, according to the Michigan State University Alumni Association.

When Mr. Elias retired in 2000, he dined out often with family and friends, commenting on the quality of the restaurants and how they could improve. His passion never seemed to subside, family members said.

"He kept a business mind," his nephew said.

Mr. Elias is survived by sisters Ann Hanson and Helen Morgan. He was preceded in death by his wife, Esther.

Funeral services are set for 11 a.m. today at the Antiochian Basilica of St. Mary, 18100 Merriman Road, Livonia. Visitation is to begin at 10 a.m.

Contact STEVE NEAVLING: 586-826-7255 or sneavling@freepress.com
    http://freep.com/article/20100118/NE...-Boy-franchise

It was the inspiration for the Lard Lad chain in "The Simpsons."

Stosh Guest

He didn't actually "found" the Big Boy chain. That honor was Bob Wian's as the originator of the franchise.

Of course the Elias Brothers were big here and elsewhere.

A history of the franchise and other facts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boy_[[restaurant)

Whoah ! Time for a visit to the Big Boy Graveyard then:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=92

I wonder if they will bury him, or if they will just dump him with the rest of the boys ?
    Last edited by mauser; January-18-10 at 11:41 AM. Reason: wrong url

I knew all the old Elias boys back in the day, and have had ties to the company my whole life. The Elias Bros have no affiliation to Big Boy as it is now owned by Bob Ligget. Bob Wian started the first one in Glendale, Ca and the Elias Brothers owned Dixie Drive in at 8 and Dequindre. The Big Boy hamburger is made differently in each state. there are also Big boys in Japan.
    Anyone ever been to the Big Boy graveyard? I know there's one downriver or near there and one up in the U.P.

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    I knew all the old Elias boys back in the day, and have had ties to the company my whole life. The Elias Bros have no affiliation to Big Boy as it is now owned by Bob Ligget. Bob Wian started the first one in Glendale, Ca and the Elias Brothers owned Dixie Drive in at 8 and Dequindre. The Big Boy hamburger is made differently in each state. there are also Big boys in Japan.
    Anyone ever been to the Big Boy graveyard? I know there's one downriver or near there and one up in the U.P.
    What is the Big Boy graveyard? I worked at Stainless Inc. on Piquette Street back in the mid-80's. The Elias family was related to the owners of this company. Stainless did the food service equipment for all the Elias Brother's Big Boy's, Marriot Big Boys and some of the other Big Boys across the US. And they did food service equipment for some Burger Kings too.

Mauser has a link two posts above yours to the Big Boy Graveyard

My old man was an exec for Elias Brothers back in the day so i knew Louie, Gabe Kassab, Bill Morgan all those old farts. Anyone remember Top Hat Burgers? that was owned by Big Boy as well. My dad claims the Big Boy graveyard is near MIS [[which Big Boy ran back in the day) but i'm not sure if it's the same one. Big Boy will always be a part of my life in one way or another, my birth was even in the company newsletter!......gladly I have a Big Boy statue in my inheritance!!!!!

My old man was an exec for Elias Brothers back in the day so i knew Louie, Gabe Kassab, Bill Morgan all those old farts. Anyone remember Top Hat Burgers? that was owned by Big Boy as well. My dad claims the Big Boy graveyard is near MIS [[which Big Boy ran back in the day) but i'm not sure if it's the same one. Big Boy will always be a part of my life in one way or another, my birth was even in the company newsletter!......gladly I have a Big Boy statue in my inheritance!!!!!
    Neat story . . . about your birth being mentioned in the company newsletter. And Big Boy's also had 'The Main Event' at the Silverdome! I think one of the Kassab family ran that location. I remember a story about an Elias Brother's Commissary employee falling in a big vat of soup and dying. I always think of that when I see the Cream of Broccoli soup on their salad bar! Bill Morgan name sounds familiar. What did he do? Gabe Kassab's brother owned Stainless Inc.

Until I saw the Big Boy rocket ship on the "Austin Powers" movie, I thought Big Boy was only a local restaurant. I never realized it was a national chain until then, well into adulthood. Guess that makes me ignorant!

didn't Elias Brothers Big Boys go bankrupt at least a couple times in the 80's & 90's?

The Japanese Big Boys restaurant I've been to [[one in Narita Airport, if I remember correctly) has almost nothing in common with U.S. Big Boys. The Japan chain serves crazy stuff like fish balls & seaweed salad.

OOOOOOOO, I'd give ANYTHING for a GOOD seaweed salad!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right this moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are Big Boys in Saudi Arabia and Brazil as well. The Japanese Big Boys are more like Steak houses. The one in brazil doesn't have Slim Jim's because they don't eat ham.

http://www.bigboyjapan.co.jp/kids/index.html

I really miss Top Hat. They had the best sliders. They also had a drink which was a mix of Vernors and several different Faygo flavors, can't remember what it was called.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I really miss Top Hat. They had the best sliders. They also had a drink which was a mix of Vernors and several different Faygo flavors, can't remember what it was called.
    Didn't Top Hat Drive-Ins change their name to Sonic?

There was a Top Hat next to the East Side-Drive In that we'd go to; I remember it was a rather art moderne looking building. I remember that drink too...I thought it was tutti-fruti, but now I'm not sure.

My first job was at a Big Boy on Van Dyke somewhere around 14 or 16 Mile Road in in early 70s; I later got my boyfriend a job at the Big Boy's in Grosse Pointe on Mack. Oddly, my last job in Detroit was at a Big Boy's too, on 8 Mile near Mound, I think, before I graduated from WSU. I don't know if any of these buildings are still around.

They have a couple of Big Boys here in Texas, but they are different from the Elias Brothers. I miss them a lot.

The one in brazil doesn't have Slim Jim's because they don't eat ham.
    They don't eat ham in Brazil? Really?

honestly i have no idea that's just what i was told

The Dude Guest

Sonic has NOTHING to do with the old Top Hat restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    didn't Elias Brothers Big Boys go bankrupt at least a couple times in the 80's & 90's?

The Japanese Big Boys restaurant I've been to [[one in Narita Airport, if I remember correctly) has almost nothing in common with U.S. Big Boys.
    The biggest convenience store chain in Japan is Lawson's

They're finally bringing the Big Boys back here, we were down to a handful after The Great Carrows Purge-the oldest one, in Toluca Lake[[by Warner Bros) is great-David Lynch would go there everyday for 7 years, order a milkshake & a cup of coffee, he wrote "Blue Velvet" there
    http://www.groceteria.com/board/view...php?f=31&t=974

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    My first job was at a Big Boy on Van Dyke somewhere around 14 or 16 Mile Road in in early 70s; .
    The Big Boy on Van Dyke, just north of 14 Mile is now called Red Hot and Blue. There is still a Big Boy at 18 Mile and Van Dyke.

I later got my boyfriend a job at the Big Boy's in Grosse Pointe on Mack..
    Big Boy on Mack at Venier is still going strong, but the one at Mack and Caduiex is now Harvard Grill.

Oddly, my last job in Detroit was at a Big Boy's too, on 8 Mile near Mound, I think, before I graduated from WSU. I don't know if any of these buildings are still around.
    Your Last Big Boy's, between Mound and Ryan has since become a used car lot. They kept the back wall, but tore the rest of the building down and built a typical cinder block building out of the shell.

They have a couple of Big Boys here in Texas, but they are different from the Elias Brothers. I miss them a lot.
    Still, isn't it good to have a small taste of home in your life?

i've been told there was a Big Boy in Capital Park, kind of by where Urban Bean is, anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    They don't eat ham in Brazil? Really?
    I think the original poster on this subject had it reversed. It's much more likely that they don't serve ham in Saudi Arabia, where pork isn't eaten since the country is overwhelmingly Muslim, than in Brazil where the local cuisine features plenty of pork.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-01-10 at 12:05 PM.

i've been told there was a Big Boy in Capital Park, kind of by where Urban Bean is, anyone remember?
    The downtown Big Boy was, if I remember correctly, around the corner from Capitol Park on Grand River between Woodward and Griswold. It was L-shaped and I believe also had a second entrance on Griswold on the block between Grand River and Clifford.

Chitaku, did you see that Gabe Kassab's son, Bill Kassab, passed away?

http://www.mideathnotices.com/view-s...%2F+Guest+Book

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast