Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Public Schools reading volunteers

The number of volunteers for the Detroit Public Schools reading program is approaching 3200 people. This seems like a practical addressing of a pressing problem-illiteracy in Detroit which would appeal to a large number of Detroit Yes participants. Any comment or people volunteering.

I signed up.

A practical address, it seems, would be to stop letting the children advance to the next level if they can't comprehend what is put in front of them at the end of the school year. Should this not be the parents obligatory responsibility to make sure their offspring are doing what is needed to get to that next level? How about the teachers, then?

The buck has to stop somewhere. It is certainly not the childrens fault, I understand. Most will do as little as is expected. They will follow the adults lead. It is disrepectful to them that they have to suffer the rest of their lives because of complacency, don't you think?

This is in no way a reflection on anyone volunteering. That is noble. I just think it is a shame that 3200 need to step up in the responsible party's stead.