Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My maternal grandfather grew up on the Kentuckey Ohio border, put to work in the mines at 13 so he split at age 13.
    Around Covington or....?

Also, Taking care of the elderly was something the utilitarian nature the Nazis in Germany had that they couldn't bare. I [[and Tim Burton and the Japanese-come to think of it, a lot of non-American countries) truly respect anyone that values their elders, and anyone who can handle their aging parents with patience [[I know I can't-but Lord knows, I'm doing my best), instead of shuffling them off to a home is a strong person unfettered by societies' expectations. I know lots of folks in Detroit who have no problem filling a house with four or five generations.

I grew up on the outskirts of Brighton. I had a swamp across the street and a lake with a beach in our neighborhood. I could not have asked for a better place to grow up but in my teens city life was calling. I loved hunting and fishing as a kid but women were more interesting and the city had great women. Heroin entered the picture and what better place to find heroin than Detroit? The art scene and new found friends here is what really brought me here but the lawlessness of Detroit was the clincher. Detroit has always been the wild wild West for me. I love Detroit cops because they have better things to do than bust you because you dont have insurance or a drivers license and carrying a small amount of drugs is tolerated for the most part. The Cass Corridor is filled with creative people who I have come to know and love and we all support eachother like no other city Ive seen. Detroit is filled with evolving art good or bad but always a constant barrage of creativity, houses burning down and new projects going up, a constant shift of new young people coming in with new ideas and projects. I fucking love this city but Lordy Im getting sick of the winters. I think Ill go to Laos for future winters. Can someone loan me $1300 for a plane ticket? Man theres nothing better than summertime in Detroit [[except for the fact you have to be a perfect citizen these days to even drive on to Belle Isle)

That was quite a rant I just handed out. Thanks again Pcm for the cool thread. I love reading everyone's stories on how they wound up here. I wish I felt more comfortable telling the whole story of how I got here. Ive got some good nasty stories. You can always buy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I grew up in the late stages of Detroits golden years. An almost perfect childhood. Watched the decline. Eventually did move out due to school issues but never stopped working with city non profits. Moved back to assist my Mom in EEV, then cared for her as she declined. That was 7 years. I have tremendous respect for the EEV community and we did our part in a small way.

Where I live now is almost magical to me. The community is so close knit, the old homes lovely,the generations that have lived here, the history, the caring and sharing, the oddballs and activists. Its vibrant. Always believed Detroit would see a resurgence but perhaps not in my lifetime but I am seeing it.

Our focus has always been kids so I guess I want them to have what I had. Loads of work need to be done, no near libraries, no active rec facilties so neighbors do amazing things for after school and summer programs.

We used to be crime free but a spate of home invasions last year mobilized the community. Community worked actively with the 7th precinct and those fuckers were caught pronto, drug house opened up and community/police shut it down in two weeks. They tried to reopen shut down intwo days.

I love the syngery of younger people moving in and the awesome dignity of our elders.

I hate winters but love Detroit. Will never leave again.
    Sumas: If the house next to you ever goes up for sale, would you let me know?

I don't post on this board often [[I read a LOT though). You have a huge heart and an appreciation for life and what you have received that I find rare and inspiring. You're an amazing lady. I'm certain I would enjoy having you as a neighbor.

I was raised in Detroit and attended Parker elementary for kindergarten. We lived on Littlefield on the west side [[attended Epiphany Catholic School for first grade) then my dad moved the family to Livonia the fall after the '67 riots.

Spent most of my youth in Livonia. Attended Wayne State to earn an engineering degree and moved into a rented house in the Greenfield / Grand River area for a few years after graduation.

Raised my own family in Troy [[gasp), but once the kids are ALL out of the house, the missus and I dream about moving into the Comerica Park / Fox area. We see MANY baseball and hockey games every year [[about 50) and city living appeals to both of us. We'll see how the whole ice arena development goes...there may be a place that fits us there when it is completed.
    Last edited by TheUsualSuspect; December-23-14 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Around Covington or....?
    Sorry the last several years have been stressful. I have all the records but will wait for the new year and new energy. Please be kind and will provide answers soon. I love history and future developments happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post

I don't post on this board often [[I read a LOT though). You have a huge heart and an appreciation for life and what you have received that I find rare and inspiring. You're an amazing lady. I'm certain I would enjoy having you as a neighbor.

I was raised in Detroit and attended Parker elementary for kindergarten. We lived on Littlefield on the west side [[attended Epiphany Catholic School for first grade) then my dad moved the family to Livonia the fall after the '67 riots.

Spent most of my youth in Livonia. Attended Wayne State to earn an engineering degree and moved into a rented house in the Greenfield / Grand River area for a few years after graduation.

Raised my own family in Troy [[gasp), but once the kids are ALL out of the house, the missus and I dream about moving into the Comerica Park / Fox area. We see MANY baseball and hockey games every year [[about 50) and city living appeals to both of us. We'll see how the whole ice arena development goes...there may be a place that fits us there when it is completed.
    The house to the south has gone through several hands, as much as i love preserving history, and I do know its history. I think it will go for auction for back taxes. Save your money, I don't think it can be rehabbed for under 100K. I could be wrong. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect View Post

totally off thread but the home north of us is uber fantastic. Mrs C is in poor shape. I adore her and check in every other day. Her son visits daily. Don't ask cause not my business but doubt she will make another year. Side note: Django put railing on her steps to help her climb stairs. Thank you django!

Small world and so many wonderful people. That includes our liitle tent community

Family moved to Detroit from Los Angeles in 1964 when I was 7 years old. My Dad was offered a good job at a private laboratory. We lived in a duplex apartment on Greenfield south of Seven Mile until January of 1969 when we moved to the suburb of Oak Park. My parents moved out due to the '67 riots and the lure of better schools in Oak Park.

Seeing more and more folks from Saginaw.

After I retired I could no longer afford to live in San Francisco. I grew up here and never severed my roots, visited regularly, so was able to pick up where I left off 30 years ago. Have made new friends and kept the old.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3