Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Flint's Back to the Bricks Cruise

I had meant to ask about this show this past fall, the it slipped my mind. While at the Woodward Dream Cruise last fall, a friend of my from back where I grew up came up for the show in his 41 Ford Pickup. He was gonna cruise Woodward during the morning, then hit the "Back to the Bricks" cruise up in Flint. I had personally never heard of it, and being a long time attendee/participant of Woodward, I couldn't imagine a show holding a candle to Woodward.

With that said, Woodward has been bursting at the seams for quite awhile now, and a place for the overflow of people tired of the crowds could work. Shockingly, the Back to the Bricks organizers put the cruise in direct competition with Woodward's Cruise. With so much focus on Woodward, I was also surprised to learn that this was the 5th year for the Flint cruise.

It seems Flint is welcoming the cruise with open arms. I know more than a few followers on here are from Flint and I'm curious to what their take on the cruise is. Is it wise to go head to head with Woodward? Would the cruise be even bigger moving it up or back a week? As it is, my curiousity may get the better of me, and I may have to cruise on up myself one of these years to see for myself.

As big is the auto industry, fabrication industry, car shows, and car cruises are in this area, I can't help but feel that Michigan still fails to market this aspect appropriately. With so much rich automotive history in regards to the people, the buildings, the places, and so much more it just seems Michigan hasn't played this card to it's fullest.

Any way, back on track, Flint-stones, what's your take on the show?

http://backtothebricks.org/index2.html

This Saturday Flint Cruise, screws it all up for people who really want to view the cars. You can't be in 2 places at once ,and as much as I want to go to Flint and see the cars up there, why should I abandon the Woodward Cruise??
    They should have the "Back to the Bricks cruise" on Sunday, so that those of us that want to see the cars up there can go to Woodward on Saturday and Flint on Sunday.
    This seems much more rational to me.

Why doesn't Flint just take the whole Cruise thing completely? There's plenty around these parts that wouldn't miss that event one bit.

There is a"small "push on to extend or connect the 2 cruises up/down Dixie Hwy.Grand Blanc to Pontiac is only about 40 min.It would be nice to cruise at 55-60mph up to Flint or down to Pontiac.I like the Sunday idea.Imagine 20,000 classic rides going past our lot!

"Imagine 20,000 classic rides going past our lot!"

Yeah, just remember that when you're cleaning up Solo cups they've tossed out of those car on the front of your lot, or yelling at those Boomers to quit pissing on your lawn; better yet, when they jamb up the road reliving their "glory days" a week before the event and your trying to get somewhere. Yeah, it'll be fucking great, let me tell ya.

If that small push could be a "huge kick in the ass" to get these bozos outta here, I'm all on board; where do I sign up?

I'm a gearhead,and I've never pissed on anyones lawn,thrown trash out of my car or parked in front of your house.I know some do this and it ruins it for everybody.Next time they are doing this to your property,turn the hose on them.Its summer and they are hot anyway.Or get their plate number and file a complaint complete with pictures.They'll have to spend time and money responding to the charges.I'm certain Flint would like the money spent at the Bricks by us gearheads......

I drove my Model A from Bay City to the Dream Cruise in 2008 and will never do that again. Once I got there I had to pull over and cool the car down three times because its nothing more than a parking lot. In fact I never got further south than 13 mile. There's so many boring late models, and commuters its not even a cruise its a "sit in traffic and watch your temp gauge climb." I hit back to the Bricks the following day and had a way better time.

Most of the guys in my car club are from Flint so its pretty much mandatory. I skip Woodward entirely and head to Flint, the cruise is way better, you actually move, and the cops don't give you any shit for small burnouts and what not. Here's a shot of my Model A sedan at Back to the Bricks from 2008 sitting with some club members on Kersley St. I've had that car at Autorama Detroit the past two years. This year I'm bringing my "new" 1930 Model A roadster that I'm building now if anybody goes to that show. Stop by and say hi, I'll be downstairs at Cobo parked with a few of my fellow Nightmares C.C. members.

As a Flint resident I absolutely love Back to the Bricks and love the fact that I can walk to it and not try to find a parking spot downtown. It has gotten huge the last couple of years. Brings a ton of people downtown and I think it has been a big part of downtown's revitalization. I've been to everyone since they started back in I think 2005 and they have gotten bigger and better every year. Unlike the dream cruise Back to the Bricks is more like a car show with cars lined up and down the streets downtown. They close down the streets and everyone has a great time. it is the second biggest draw in Flint behind the Crim.

This is from last year
    Attachment 4872

Here are a couple shots from 2007 believe it or not the show has more or less doubled since then. Oh yeah and they have finally completed that building a couple of months ago.
    Attachment 4875
    Attachment 4876

I live just off the main drag in Flint, Saginaw street. Our Back to the Bricks is a week long event, and much more laid back then the Dream Cruise. Its has grown quite a bit as Gumby stated. I was downtown on the friday of the event and it was a zoo.
    I think there is room for both events. I always go to the Dream Cruise on Saturday, which is also the big day in Flint. I think a lot of Dreams Cruisers come up to Flint for a day, its a good time at both venues.

"I'm a gearhead,and I've never pissed on anyones lawn,thrown trash out of my car or parked in front of your house.I know some do this and it ruins it for everybody.Next time they are doing this to your property,turn the hose on them.Its summer and they are hot anyway.Or get their plate number and file a complaint complete with pictures.They'll have to spend time and money responding to the charges.I'm certain Flint would like the money spent at the Bricks by us gearheads......"

I'm a gear head, too. Well, perhaps a reformed one seeing that I can barely wrench under the hood on these new contraptions. Thanks for not pissing on my lawn and keeping your trash to yourself; it's truly appreciated 'round these parts, trust me.

As to your suggestions, I think that's a lot of work considering people should have basic decency and respect. I mean, why should I have to become the neighborhood Sargent as a means to correct something that shouldn't happen in the first place? I've got a better idea; how about you spread the word to your Cruising buds and promote the concept of basic respect of personal property. After all, I/we wouldn't be having all these issues if it weren't for the WAC in the first place.

While you're at it, please let all of these people know that the event starts on Saturday, not the Friday before and/or the week of. Also, please let them know that's it a pretty lame sight seeing Cruisers out the morning after the event; it's like seeing that dude who was the life of the party staggering down the street the next morning while driving to work.

I never heard much about Back to the Bricks, But I am out of the loop on a few things.After attending the Dream Cruise last year, I might see what Flint has this summer.Until I get my 65 Comet on the road, or learn to wake up early I will settle for watching Woodward on the TV.

Route29 Guest

Sweet Jesus, isn't our number one problem in this region ultimately that we've done little BESIDES tie the millstone of the auto industry, and CARS CARS CARS around our necks?

Yet we lost the Festival of the Arts. Got news: "Cruises" don't attract the young, creative class. I don't know anybody under 50 who cares about that stuff. A car is point A to point B, and the auto industry is no more. There is nothing glamorous about sitting in traffic[[or cars, for that matter), or drinking Bud Light in a lawn chair next to it. Let's move on.

Baselinepunk,I always tell folks at cruises to behave.Yes I can be an ass about it.It pisses me off when someone doesn't respect others property.You don't have to be the block sgt.-at-arms.Just let them know about their assholeness.
    Route29,CARS CARS CARS is why this place we call SE Michigan is even on a map.It was why our forefathers and mothers came here,at least after 1900.Lots of people under 50 go to the cruise.Or are just overcounting the crowd every year?I was young and creative once too!

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Baselinepunk,I always tell folks at cruises to behave.Yes I can be an ass about it.It pisses me off when someone doesn't respect others property.You don't have to be the block sgt.-at-arms.Just let them know about their assholeness.
    Route29,CARS CARS CARS is why this place we call SE Michigan is even on a map.It was why our forefathers and mothers came here,at least after 1900.Lots of people under 50 go to the cruise.Or are just overcounting the crowd every year?I was young and creative once too!
    It is also why the region is in the shape it's in today. Our dependence on the automobile industry and to a lesser extent, our shunning of mass transit and urban planning.
    People seem to forget that Detroit was around before the automobile made it an unsustainable boom town. It was a prosperous place as well, with a diverse economy. Our car worship has been the death of us. Unfortunately many of us weren't around to experience to boom of the 20's or the inflated wages of the 70's.

"Baselinepunk,I always tell folks at cruises to behave.Yes I can be an ass about it.It pisses me off when someone doesn't respect others property."

Keep up the good work; but it seems to be falling on deaf ears.

"You don't have to be the block sgt.-at-arms.Just let them know about their assholeness."

Almost every time I've done that I've been met with the finger, vulgarities [[in front of my young kids many times) or both with a tires blazing as they split. I have to laugh because it's soooo lame coming from some old Boomer and his flap-jacked old lady. Mind you, not the general rule for all of these "people", but it's the 80% that ruins it for the other 20%.

Like I said before, y'all can have these assholes. They do nothing for the businesses around here; accept perhaps for the party stores, and encumber the rest of us 'round here reliving their "glory years".

No wonder this county's in the shitter. lol!

Anywho,the Bricks sound like fun.

Agree with you Lucky, and I will be one of the under 50 crowd at Autorama looking for BC'S Model A.