Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Traffic Regulations in 1929

I purchased a Detroit Police Department booklet on traffic regulations from 1929 -- and finally scanned it and put it on-line. The regulations really weren't all that different than today's.

There's a map of the CBD included as well.

It's on m-bike at:
    http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2010/01/1...ations-in-1929

Thats cool, I have one of those little booklets from 1925.

I'm not sure where you read it was from 1929
    on your scan [[or page) #2 , it says EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 13, 1926 ?

You can see the one I have standing in the back between the State Police Truck and the Streetcar
    Attachment 4865

It says 1929 on the cover. Apparently the rules hadn't changed since they were enacted in 1926.

Does yours say "Rules for Driving" on the cover?

This one says Rules of Driving, No date on the cover, date is on the bottom of page 1

Attachment 4869

Attachment 4870

Attachment 4871

Have you read Peter Norton's book called Fighting Traffic? It tells the story of -- among other things -- how the rules of the road came about and the struggle between social norms and the automotive industry. As one would expect, Detroit is featured throughout the book.