Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why is the NAIAS in Detroit?

I'm sitting here looking at the Freep's coverage of the NAIAS, and for the first time I'm questioning the wisdom of hosting this event in the Detroit area.

I'm questioning the show's location since in Detroit everyones personal interests are hitched to the Big 3. It's not a Paris or Tokyo, in which constructive criticism can be offered without fear of biting the only hand that feeds, so to speak. [[E.g. I can't recall anyone at the time, Detroit media or otherwise, ever acknowledging that the Pontiac Aztek was a REALLY bad idea.)

So could the Big 3 have better handled P.R and product quality issues in the past if the premier domestic show were held in NYC or L.A., instead of on their front porch?

You can't be serious.

Have you been drinking?

Perhaps you should hold your next anniversary party where none of your family lives. Maybe London?

Retroit Guest

Quality is generally measured over time as a car is being used, not while it is sitting in an auto show display. Auto shows are more focused on the superficial, aesthetic design of new cars and concept cars.

But I do agree that the Big3 should have a better way of measuring quality and customer satisfaction. I don't think that simply counting how many cars are sold or not sold is the best way to determine what needs to be approved. It seems to me the current philosophy is "Let's throw a bunch of cars on the market and hope one of them will be a big seller" instead of "Let's see what the customers like and dislike about each car and try to improve upon the same model in the future".

Why is the NAIAS in Detroit?
    Well, why do ou think it's here?

Haikoont Guest

Methinks the OP needs a hobby.
    Last edited by Haikoont; January-16-10 at 03:50 PM.

For nearly 80 years, the SE Michigan auto dealers held a regional Detroit Auto Show. With the NAIAS re-branding in 1989, it was repositioned as an "International" [[not premier domestic) auto show to bring in additional foreign manufacturers and the foreign press. The product and business ills of the Big 3 began long before the re-branding and they continued to fester despite volumes of negative criticism in the business press and car mags. Despite their significant quality improvements over the past two decades, it has been proven that not even the Big 3's continued loss of market share was enough to motivate them into making the necessary drastic business decisions until they were on death's doorstep.

So now we have the domestic "Significant Six" auto manufacturers and the centers of gravity of three of them are scattered around the US. Putting aside the physical deficiencies of Cobo Hall, where is a better place to hold an "international" auto show in the US? What would be accomplished if the Detroit auto show reverted to a regional event?

So, Ford's leadership in quality, safety, durability, hybrids, car and truck of the year, etc... is all because the NAIAS is in Detroit?

Man, you guys just can't stomach Detroit having anything positive eh?

This place is hilarious.

No wonder detroitno.com is aliased here.

Here is one thought why...the vast majority of global automotive supppliers are located in SE Michigan. Many of these "job shops" place a significant amount of effort into the design and engineering of vehicles right from SE michigan. Most never get to see the finished product so this is a chance for them.

It's the Motor City...'nuff said.

Yeah, what's up with that? Why does that URL take you to DY??
    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    ...No wonder detroitno.com is aliased here.

Is the Pope a Catholic?

The general question "iheartthed" is asking is a legitimate one. Is Detroit's press willing to ask the hard questions and be critical of the Big Three when so much of the media's advertising revenue is tied to ads from the Big Three? But I don't think that's an argument for or against locating NAIAS in Detroit. There's 50 more weeks in the year for the media and those in the industry to speak the truth about what ails the Big Three.

this thread topic sounds like it came from The Onion.

The DADA , Detroit Area Dealer Association owns and runs the NAIS. The name the idea the office is all run by the Director of the DADA out of their Big Beaver office.

This is why the entire premise of losing the NAIS is silly. The NAIS isn't owned by car manufacturers, suppliers or any other group outside of metro Detroit. It is owned and run by the local automotive dealer body.

I liked it better in the old days when the auto show was held in the state fair pavilions. As noted above, the Detroit Auto Show was a "must see" attraction for all of the people at every level connected to the auto business and the auto supply business. Everything was glitzy and garish, but you could see every car and get in them and get the feel of them. My father, a toolmaker for a fastener firm at the time, took us every single year.

H, did you ever attend a show in the Convention Hall on Woodward near the Greystone?

Well I'll say...

Attachment 4862
    Last edited by 313WX; January-16-10 at 09:09 PM.

I always thought that the NAIAS should be a travelling event like the Super Bowl. Each year it is held in a different city..

Another idiot thread for attention. Way to go iheartthed. I hope you had a good laugh starting a thread that irrates the people who love the city and want to see it succeed. What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    H, did you ever attend a show in the Convention Hall on Woodward near the Greystone?
    I think I remember going to a "convention hall", but can't remember what show it was, maybe a boat show.

Two words -- Heinz Prechter.

Two words -- Heinz Prechter.
    Been dead for years though.

Keith Crain.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    The general question "iheartthed" is asking is a legitimate one. Is Detroit's press willing to ask the hard questions and be critical of the Big Three when so much of the media's advertising revenue is tied to ads from the Big Three? But I don't think that's an argument for or against locating NAIAS in Detroit. There's 50 more weeks in the year for the media and those in the industry to speak the truth about what ails the Big Three.

It would be a legitimate question except for the fact that it isn't just Detroit media covering the event.