Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    detmich Guest

Not so cool to have around = people who say "get off my lawn"
    Are the Power Puff Girls going to keep a lookout for that?

I personally find the graffiti interesting. If we ignore the surface it's on, and focus on just the paint, its art to some and not to others. I suppose if you don't like it, then stay out of the cut, it's not for you because they left it for a reason.

As for the legality side, it pains me to see any type of graffiti on walls of businesses, homes, overpasses, and abandoned buildings. Every structure carries an aesthetic purpose, but maybe the Dequindre cut doesn't. I guess maybe that's why I really don't care that it exists. It's always been pretty much out of site of the public. No need to clean it up.

I'm sure someone will find a way to twist this, but it's okay. I hate the canvas it's on, but I like the art. I wish there was more of it, but not on private and public property.
    Last edited by wolverine; May-19-09 at 01:16 AM.

There is a video on ModelD this week about all the Greenways in Southeast Michigan.

Some of you are acting like all graffiti is racial slurs and gang related. Who are you kidding?

And while I agree with a previous poster that said the Dq Cut's art is disappointing in a way, I think discouraging legal work plays a role in that. I'm way more of a fan of murals than simply writing. And the Cut is almost entirely writing. If painting was allowed and encouraged, I promise there would be some more impressive work. In fact I would spend a day creating a mural on a walll....

And to balace the ridiculous hate speech pictures, here's an example of good street work featuring the image of Detroit's own... The late, great, J. Dilla...

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesoul View Post
    Interesting viewpoint. Care to elaborate?
    I thought my comment was pretty self-explanatory.

Most graffiti art that I've seen is pretty much amateurish stuff. It takes some talent, but not a whole lot. It would be one thing if they commissioned someone to do something, but not for any little hack who thinks he's/she's the Da Vinci of spray paint.

We had planned to hit the DC this Saturday during our trip to EM anyways, but I"m really curious to see it now. I'm not opposed to all GA so I'll go in with an open mind.

Speaking of spray paint, I noticed someone did a little spraying on the Salvation Army store at Michigan and Central. I imagine the SA must be awash in money so it'll be no problem to clean all that black paint off their previously nice white wall.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I thought my comment was pretty self-explanatory.

Most graffiti art that I've seen is pretty much amateurish stuff. It takes some talent, but not a whole lot. It would be one thing if they commissioned someone to do something, but not for any little hack who thinks he's/she's the Da Vinci of spray paint.

We had planned to hit the DC this Saturday during our trip to EM anyways, but I"m really curious to see it now. I'm not opposed to all GA so I'll go in with an open mind.

Speaking of spray paint, I noticed someone did a little spraying on the Salvation Army store at Michigan and Central. I imagine the SA must be awash in money so it'll be no problem to clean all that black paint off their previously nice white wall.
    It wasn't self-explanatory - it was one sentence making a very bold sweeping statement about graff writers in general. A statement I do not believe is true. Just because someone puts their stuff on a wall doesn't mean they think it's good. Writers write for all kinds of different reasons, and those who want to get better do so through practice. So you will see different incarnations of them as they improve over time. I don't think any writer just thinks they are so great either, I think other writers think they are great and tell each other - typical art community type stuff.

I'm glad to hear you will go in there with an open mind, but please remember whether you like it or not personally, it is art to someone. I'll be the first to say there are good and bad pieces in there, and right now more bad than good...but the cut is ever-changing and at one time there was more good than bad. Just depends on when you go. It's always a matter of personal preference too. Doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to paint there.

As far as the Salvation Army is concerned, what does that have to do with the cut?

I finally got a chance to check out the DC prior to going to EM this morning.
    I was extremely impressed. They did a really nice job with that and it's a great addition to the downtown area.

As far as the graffiti goes, I really don't think it adds much at all, but I don't find it all that intrusive that it takes away from the DC. Reading this thread a week or two ago I was under the impression that there would be much more graffiti and the DC would have a much rougher feel to it.

Someone in this thread had mentioned that minus the graffiti it would have too much of a pristine feeling or something along those lines. Even with the minimal graffiti I thought it pretty much had a pristine and clean look about it. It makes me wonder if graffiti artists would even want to go down there as opposed to going to an area with a grittier feel.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009062...d+to+RiverWalk

The EDC approved an $871,900 lengthening of the Dequindre Cut from Woodbridge [[where it ends), to Atwater. Also, the Michigan DNR announced that they will connect the Dequindre Cut to the Riverwalk through Tricentennial State Park. This is supposed to be done by Fall. Good news for the DQ and for greenways in Detroit...

its not very long at all . . .shouldn't take long to complete

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009062...d+to+RiverWalk

The EDC approved an $871,900 lengthening of the Dequindre Cut from Woodbridge [[where it ends), to Atwater. Also, the Michigan DNR announced that they will connect the Dequindre Cut to the Riverwalk through Tricentennial State Park. This is supposed to be done by Fall. Good news for the DQ and for greenways in Detroit...
    great news. without meaning to denigrate the many people who have made the cut and the riverwalk possible [[and continue to do so), it'll be a much easier sell with a seemless connection between the two

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    great news. without meaning to denigrate the many people who have made the cut and the riverwalk possible [[and continue to do so), it'll be a much easier sell with a seemless connection between the two
    I completely agree. Riding the DQ and Riverwalk are cool, but the short time on the east riverfront roads is terrible. Especially Woodbridge which is paved with bricks, and the rest are just tons of potholes and broken glass, etc. It will be great when they are connected, and even better when they connect the North part of the DQ with the midtown loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Lets all prey we don't see anyone wearing those tight spandex bike shorts. That would be a disgrace.
    Paging Gannon.

http://detnews.com/article/20090702/OPINION01/907020340/1008/Vandals-ruin-riverfront-pathway

Vandals ruin riverfront pathway

Jonella A. Mongo

The long-awaited opening of the Dequindre Cut Greenway near the Detroit riverfront occurred in mid-May, providing walkers, joggers and bike riders another route to enjoy. But the Riverfront Conservatory's beautiful restoration job is already under attack by graffiti "taggers."
    The taggers have spray-painted benches, signage, emergency call boxes and the walkway. It is shameful that with all of the underpass areas devoted to graffiti, these "taggers" vandalized valuable public property. Individuals like myself who frequent this pathway find the spray-painting vandalism disgusting and destructive.
    What makes this blatant defacing of property even worse is that it requires additional money to clean and restore vandalized property to its original state. That is money that could be used for a host of other things this area so desperately needs.
    Advertisement

Expansion of this $3.25 million project is underway, and it is estimated that the completed 5.5-mile pathway will cost $300 million. That is no small amount of money.
    So hopefully taggers and others who vandalize public areas will think twice or find other proper outlets for their creative endeavors. They should leave the benches, signage and pathway the way they were intended -- for the benefit of pedestrians and bikers.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5