Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Dequindre Cut...Open When?

Does anyone know if when the Dequindre Cut is officially opening? I walked it and biked it last year before it was open, but we had to get through an opening that someone made in the fence [[at the Jefferson end). The modelmedia website
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/developme...ndre18409.aspx
    says the official opening is May 14. I can't find anything on the Detroit Conservancy site http://www.detroitriverfront.org/.

Any information is appriciated.

Boomer313

I have ridden it multiple times. All the gates have been open. Not sure when the official opening is supposed to be but they may want to do it before every square inch of bench/pole/trash can are tagged.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/200...ally-open.html
    Faded Detroit Blog says May 14th. I was there for a bike ride a few weeks ago and there are no barriers up.

I pass it every day on my way to work. I've seen the southern end entrance open recently. There have also been electricians working on the pole lights. It looks ready to go, but I'm not sure what the deal is.

Looks open to me and there are no signs posted that says it is not.

I can't wait to ride through the DC at night when the lights work.

Does anyone know when the stretch north of Gratiot is supposed to be finished?

I'm pretty sure that there are still railroad tracks in place [[unused, though) just north of Gratiot, and the rail line Detroit Connecting RR is still active as far south as Mack, so who knows...

I live close by and at the end of last summer my roomate and I rode bikes down there. It is going to be awesome. They should have an opening day bike party.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemianrobot View Post
    I can't wait to ride through the DC at night when the lights work.

Does anyone know when the stretch north of Gratiot is supposed to be finished?
    The lights are on -- Go ride!

The section north of Gratiot is still privately owned. Discussions with the owner are continuing.

I'll also mention that the City made some quick temporary improvements to the sidewalks along the south side of Gratiot from the Cut to Russell/Eastern Market. This will eventually be properly reconstructed in the near future. And, the conceptual design for the Dequindre Cut north of Gratiot includes ramped access directly into Eastern Market.

I'm really excited about the future plans to link into Eastern Market, that will be fabulous. Does anyone know what the south end of the trail is like now? Last summer there was a chain link fence and a bunch of dirt and sand. It would be nice to have an actual destination at the end that would connect to the River Walk.

I think the grand plan is to have the Dequindre Trail proceed straight out of the cut and meet the riverwalk at Tri-Centennial Park, right at the renovated Globe Trading Co. building. Not sure if any progress has been made on getting the trail down to Atwater, but no work has begun on the Globe.

As a side point, I was reading in the stimulus projects list and saw that the bridges that carry Larned over the Dequindre cut are due to be replaced with Stimulus money.... how will that work if they just open the trail next month?

Default Freep just reported it the grand opening is May 14

freep.com just reported the grang opening is may 14

Thanks for all the updates - I'm going ridin'.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009041...15076/1118/RSS

I just drove by the cut last week, and for all the nice landscaping and work that was done... the remaining sidewalls of the [[long ago) removed bridges along the cut.... looks butt ugly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I think the grand plan is to have the Dequindre Trail proceed straight out of the cut and meet the riverwalk at Tri-Centennial Park, right at the renovated Globe Trading Co. building. Not sure if any progress has been made on getting the trail down to Atwater...
    That's correct. Some work has been done clearing the land for this connector. It can be ridden with fat tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    As a side point, I was reading in the stimulus projects list and saw that the bridges that carry Larned over the Dequindre cut are due to be replaced with Stimulus money.... how will that work if they just open the trail next month?
    That's a good question that I wish I had the answer to. The Antietam bridge work certainly did cause issues with D-Cut.

I am glad to be informed through this thread.

I'll be riding through the DC by this weekend. The weather forecast through Saturday is looking great!

The Riverfront Conservancy has been getting a number of calls about the No Bikes signs on the Dequindre Cut. Those are temporary and are merely intended to discourage use while the trail is under construction.

The grand opening is still scheduled for May 14th at 10am at the southern end [[at Woodbridge.)

We'll see you there!

TP told me that it was opening on the 14th...I'll be in town that weekend with one of my bikes and I'll look forward to riding it!

O.

I cannot wait until the DC reaches the Midtown Loop. By this point the DC should already be directly connected to Eastern Market and the Riverfront. This would mean I can walk/bike from my apartment [[a block away from the Midtown Loop), through a beautiful greenway in the middle of a large city, in order to get to Eastern Market or the Riverfront. It's really nice riding through the neighborhoods right now, to get to these locations - I love to see the new happenings and enjoy the magnificent ruins/re-developments - but it would be nice to have an artistic, well maintained, smoothe surfaced and landscaped greenway to lead me there as well.

I hate seeing the graffiti on the new light poles and emergency squawk boxes but I love the work on the concrete walls. I'm not sure of what the rules are on new spray being laid on the walls but I do hope it continues to go on grow and transform, there's really some nice work down there.

Blarf Guest

Lets all prey we don't see anyone wearing those tight spandex bike shorts. That would be a disgrace.

Just rode the Dequindre cut on Friday before the rain. Was nice to get out of the wind. I really hope to see that last section completed to the riverfront. It's all nice till you hit those brick paved streets at the end.

Anybody going to the official opening on Thursday? It's supposed to be from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

I'll be there on my chopper.

gravitymachine Guest

i would love to go, but my day job precludes me from participating.

Unless it's spilling rain, I'll be there.

I've been looking everywhere Craigslist.com and such for a cheap mens mountain bike to ride on the Dequinder cut and riverfront and have not found anything. Anyone know where I can get one or know anyone selling one?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast