Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What's Your Vehicle Project?

I know there are car people on here, so I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. Whether you've done projects before, have one in progress or thinking of getting started, feel free to jump in. It'd also be a good way to share information & experiences. If you're a cycle person, chime in as well. Pictures never hurt either.

For me, it's a '73 Charger SE that I've owned since 1980. It was my daily ride for years, then occasionally driven until about 2001. I set it aside rarely driving it & regretted that I ignored it for so long.
    The past few years it's been residing in the garage; I've pulled the fenders, bumpers, trim, lights & the interior is nearly stripped out. The engine & transmission are still in it as is some of the electrical. It needs quarter window patch panels replaced so I'll hire a pro to do it properly. Investing in welding equipment plus the learning curve isn't worth it to me at this time. The community college has a campus not far from me where auto mechanics & bodywork are offered; I'm seriously looking at taking fall classes provided my travel schedule at work allows it.

From the factory:
    1973 Charger SE
    Power: 318-2bbl; 727 Trans
    Exterior: White vinyl over Harvest Gold; Flat hood
    Interior: Saddle with split bench seat; Column shift
    Options: AM/FM radio with three speakers; AC; PB; PS

What I'd LIKE to see:
    Power: 451-4bbl Stroker or 440-4bbl; 727 Trans or Keisler equivalent
    Exterior: Black vinyl over Rallye Red; Power Bulge hood; Front spoiler; Rear wing
    Interior: Black with bucket seats; Console Shift
    Options: AM/FM/MP3/CD with four speakers & subwoofer; AC; PB; PS
    A little customization, but nothing definite at this time.

I recently bought a fender off a '77 Cordoba so I could practice with a hammer & dolly set. I've done some bodywork before, but it was limited to say the least.
    In another lifetime I did tuneups/routine maintenance, minor engine work & brake jobs to make a few extra bucks. I was able to get in on some engine builds during that time as well.
    I have to admit, I'm intimidated by the new stuff; almost anything non-EFI up to the early 90s I feel comfortable with. I have to get up to speed on several things where technology has taken over. If I were more knowledgeable about EFI, I would seriously consider it as an alternative.
    I once owned a '74 SE that was white vinyl over Rallye red; it had a 318 that I beefed up some with a Carter TQ, milled heads, a hotter cam & headers with Cherry Bombs to make a racket. It met a horrible fate at the hands of a psychotic girlfriend.
    Last edited by MoparDan; January-15-10 at 06:52 PM.

I know this isn't what you meant but it's getting my 1997 Chevy S-10 running again. My friend and I have the engine half out. I believe that that the head gasket is shot. I bought that truck brand new in 97 when I was in high school. It ran great until last year. 110,000 miles and a perfect body. I went and bought a 2008 Chevy Impala when the truck stopped running.

I have a 1986 Silverado sitting by the barn that is on my multi-year to do list. It belonged to my grandfather so it's a bit of a sentimental project. I've been picking up parts over the past few years when I found a bargain. So far I have a new windshield, NOS fenders and inner fenders and some really nice Pirelli tires. Perhaps this is the summer when I'll have time to strip it down to the frame an get into the actual restoration.

Once the temp warms up I'll be changing out the visqueen I have over the hole in the back window . Got some new red duct tape for christmas so I might use that, you know, snazz things up a bit.

I consider all those projects; it doesn't have to be a restoration. Even yours Gnome! I have an extra roll of red duct tape if you feel the need to go nuts!
    After mod'ing my '74, I promptly went out to see what it could do[[115mph actually). Hey, I was 20 & going to live forever!
    I wound up blowing the left head gasket soon afterwards. Why? Because of a head bolt that wasn't torqued down properly. Lesson learned & filed away for reference.

My project was a 1977 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Landau. Been in the family since it was purchased new at Walt Lazar Chevrolet in Taylor. It is black w/black landau top. White interior w/swivel bucket seats. AM/FM w/8 track. PS PB AC. My wife helped with the installation of the engine and final assembly of the bumpers and trim. All brake and suspension parts are new. Engine is 355ci. THM350 trans. I have all the original documentation that came with the car. I also have the factory documentation from GM Canada [[Date of birth, day it left home, where it went before before it was adopted by us).
    Since finishing it we had a ton of fun at car shows, cruises, and last year took it on part of the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour when it came through here. I also play with motorcycles for fun.

Used to work on early 60's Chevys.... 65 Impala SS Convertible, 64, 63, etc...

Now its a Mustang and I do things here and there since its a daily driver. Everything from sequential taillights to short throw shifter to pulleys to K&N... just small projects.

I would like to get back into something classic, but it seems the prices are ridiculous now.

What do people do about unleaded gas in the older cars?

I have 3 stalled projects. 1965 Mercury Comet, 1996 Jeep Cherokee, and the newest 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII. Time and money are the biggest roadblocks. And keeping the daily drivers on the road don't leave me wanting to work on anything else.

1971 charger and a 1981 chrysler imperial. Ihave a lot of imperial parts.

I'm rebuilding the 374 V8 on my 56 Packard this spring, it's Dream Cruise [[Nightmare Crawl) or bust! that's my goal for this year.

Restoring my triple-black Grand National... oh-oops... I'd need to own one to restore it... ahhhh, to dream : ) : )

I have a '74 Ford Country Squire 460 4V and a '68 AMC Ambassador 343 2V. Both cars have minor mechanical issues and have been sidelined the last few years due to money issues. This year looks better for getting them back on the road however. I do have limited space and mechanic knowledge. Can anyone recommend a willing mechanic who has worked on a carbureted vehicle before and believes in using good American made parts and not Chinese ones?
    Last edited by CountrySquire; January-19-10 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    What do people do about unleaded gas in the older cars?
    I found this on Allpar, hope it helps you out.
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/emissions.html

Unleaded gas

"Removing the lead from gasoline has two nasty side-effects: running unleaded gas can be unhealthy for older cars [[before about 1973) without hardened valve seats, and it reduces the effective octane of the gas. Over time, new compositions have helped to raise octane, and other additives allow classic car owners to keep their engines healthy."

Got any pics of those Impalas by chance? One brother owned two '59s & my dad had a '62 SS; all long gone unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    I'm rebuilding the 374 V8 on my 56 Packard this spring, it's Dream Cruise [[Nightmare Crawl) or bust! that's my goal for this year.
    Packman, I posted a pic of a '53 Caribbean Convertible some time back on the "Old Car Pics" thread. It's #47 near the bottom. It's owned by the Dodge dealer & he has several other creampuffs in their showroom.
    http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=601

How much HP/Torque does the 374 put out?

Rideron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Thats the real Packard V8, not the "StudePackard" is it?

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    I have a '74 Ford Country Squire 460 4V and a '68 AMC Ambassador 343 2V. Both cars have minor mechanical issues and have been sidelined the last few years due to money issues. This year looks better for getting them back on the road however. I do have limited space and mechanic knowledge. Can anyone recommend a willing mechanic who has worked on a carbureted vehicle before and believes in using good American made parts and not Chinese ones?
    For the cost of a kit plus labor, it may be cheaper to go with a rebuilt carb using your old one for a core exchange. Just make sure you do your research as to make, model & any stamping numbers on your present units. Any auto parts store there should be able to assist you in finding what you need; if you do want to have someone else rebuild your old ones, I'm sure they could refer you to a reliable mechanic if nobody posts one here.
    I'm not a Ford guy but I believe they use Motorcraft/Autolite & AMC normally used Carter.

Multiple projects in my garage/basement, actually..
    1. '78 Dodge Diplomat wagon, 580 hp 440, full-manual 727, 8 3/4", black paint with big & little Mopar Rallye wheels..
    2. '99 Kawasaki ZRX1100, currently making around 145 rwhp..getting a new six-speed ZX11 tranny and some fresh pistons.
    3. Several early seventies Honda CB500 four cylinders..one's getting "restified," one's getting infused with a buttload of CBR600 Hurricane bits and turned into a dedicated track bike, and one's being turned into a piece of furniture for my living room..
    4. '81 Honda CM400 twin..getting a bit of a facelift, going from "commuter" to "cafe racer," but still gonna be my daily to & fro bike..

At the current rate of progress, I expect all of these to be finished shortly after I die of old age..

If anyone is interested there is an auction house in Kalamazoo called biddergy.com that will be selling off a few gems on the 27th of this month.

Here are a couple you guys might like
    69 vette http://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?id=34145
    65 skylark [[cherry) http://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?id=34085
    55 belaire http://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?id=34293

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If anyone is interested there is an auction house in Kalamazoo called biddergy.com that will be selling off a few gems on the 27th of this month.

Here are a couple you guys might like
    69 vette http://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?id=34145
    65 skylark [[cherry) http://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?id=34085
    55 belaire http://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp?id=34293
    I'm curious to see what the opening bids will be on the Vette & Bel Air.
    A co-worker has had a '55 Bel Air sitting in a shed at his father's property for several years now. But like everyone else has stated, the resources of time & money always come into play...I've almost got my oldest girl off the payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparDan View Post
    For the cost of a kit plus labor, it may be cheaper to go with a rebuilt carb using your old one for a core exchange. Just make sure you do your research as to make, model & any stamping numbers on your present units. Any auto parts store there should be able to assist you in finding what you need; if you do want to have someone else rebuild your old ones, I'm sure they could refer you to a reliable mechanic if nobody posts one here.
    I'm not a Ford guy but I believe they use Motorcraft/Autolite & AMC normally used Carter.

Yeah that Ford 4 bbl has given me lots of grief! The 2 bbl on the AMC is problem free. I bought a re manned carb for it after I got the Ford in 2002. It got me a few years until I started having issues with it, surging at highway speeds. My previous mechanic thought it would be better to rebuild the original carb, I had him do that, dorve the car home it worked great. Parked it for the winter, started it a few months after parking it and it would only run for a few seconds before stalling out. I tried new fuel filters, dry gas, all that did not work. I am tempted to pull the carb set up off and try an after market throttle body fuel injection system. Does anyone have experience with after market fuel injection systems?

I have a rotating cast of cars,in and out of the garage.My current is a 1972 cb750 seventies chopper.I'm trying to finish it for autorama,I got the frame back from the powder coaters today.I just[[in september)finished a cosmetic preservation of the Cougar II for the Detroit Historical society.

Quote Originally Posted by davemarc View Post
    I have a rotating cast of cars,in and out of the garage.My current is a 1972 cb750 seventies chopper.I'm trying to finish it for autorama,I got the frame back from the powder coaters today.I just[[in september)finished a cosmetic preservation of the Cougar II for the Detroit Historical society.
    My wife and visited the museum and saw the Cougar II a few weeks ago. Nice job. My Monte Carlo was supposed to be pictured at the museum, but they lost the photo. Ended up with my name and another persons car being shown. Trying to locate the correct pic. I have a 72 CB750 also. It is more of a bobber.

The Cougar was fun. I have about 60 hours in it. What exhibit was the picture used in?My CB is stuck between chopper and bobber.It has stock forks but an original 70's c+g chopper frame.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Yeah that Ford 4 bbl has given me lots of grief! The 2 bbl on the AMC is problem free. I bought a re manned carb for it after I got the Ford in 2002. It got me a few years until I started having issues with it, surging at highway speeds. My previous mechanic thought it would be better to rebuild the original carb, I had him do that, dorve the car home it worked great. Parked it for the winter, started it a few months after parking it and it would only run for a few seconds before stalling out. I tried new fuel filters, dry gas, all that did not work. I am tempted to pull the carb set up off and try an after market throttle body fuel injection system. Does anyone have experience with after market fuel injection systems?
    Are you letting the AMC sit as well? The first thing I think about the Ford carb is it being "gunked" with varnish & residue so to speak from sitting, especially in extremely cold weather. If that's the case, then a rebuild or replacement is in order. Spraying carb cleaner may help to a point, but won't completely solve the problem. Granted, this is pure speculation on my part. In the future I would start & attempt to drive it at least every one to two weeks.
    My knowledge of EFI is very limited, but it's something I need to get up to speed on. Edelbrock & Holley do make complete kits. I know Car Craft & Hot Rod magazines have featured other brands in articles, so I'd have to research that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by davemarc View Post
    The Cougar was fun. I have about 60 hours in it. What exhibit was the picture used in?My CB is stuck between chopper and bobber.It has stock forks but an original 70's c+g chopper frame.
    The pic was located in Dodge Hall in a display called "Sold". It is back by the stairs leading up the next level by the handicap lift. It is covered with pics of cars and their owners.
    Last edited by lpg; January-22-10 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast