Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Louis Elias

Default Louis Elias

Seeing the obituary's today I see where the last of the 3 Elias Brothers ,Louis Elias ,has passed away, Founder of the Big Boy in Michigan

My ex brother in law's father was friends with the Elias Bros way back.....When Lou decided to open his first hamburger joint on John R, the father in law was asked if he wanted to join them in the business. He said no, he was going to open a bar instead. And, the rest as they say, is history. He "coulda been somebody"! After the bar, there was a service station......and then, not much.

Every trip I make back to Michigan always finds me at a Big Boy at least once for a Big Boy and fries. I sure love 'em, and there's none out here in the desert.

Was one of the Elias Brother's the founder of the Professional Bowlers Assocation?

I worked at Stainless Equipment on Piquette Street near John R about 1983. The owners of Stainless were related by marriage to Louis Elias. Thus, Stainless did all the food service equipment and salad bars for the Elias Brothers Big Boys.

.."They're all over Michigan up north and to the south.
    Elias Brothers restaurants will feed your hungry mouth.
    Elias Brothers is the home of the Big Boy and a lot of other very good stuff"

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Was one of the Elias Brother's the founder of the Professional Bowlers Assocation?
    That would be Eddie Elias, not sure if it is the same family though. Not saying it isn't but I don't recall the tie in.

Stosh Guest

Louis Elias

Born in Boston, MA on Jul. 18, 1916
    Departed on Jan. 14, 2010 and resided in West Bloomfield, MI. Visitation:Sunday, Jan. 17, 2010 Service:Monday, Jan. 18, 2010 Cemetery:Forest Lawn Cemetery Please click on the links above for locations, times, maps, and directions.
    Louis was a resident of West Bloomfield for 10 years, formerly of Franklin for 40 years.

Born in Boston, he moved to Detroit around the age of 10. He received a bachelor's degree from Michigan State University.

Together with his brothers Fred and John, the opened their first restaurant in 1936 at Dixie Highway and Telegraph. It ultimately evolved into the Big Boy.

Louis also owned a thoroughbred farm in Ocala, Florida. He loved horses; raising, breeding and racing them. He once had a horse in the Kentucky Derby.

He enjoyed watching sports, especially the Detroit Lions and Michigan State games. He was also part owner of the Detroit Express.

Husband of the late Esther. Brother of Ann Hanson [[Jim), Helen Morgan [[Bill) and the late Mary Kassab [[Gabe), Fred [[Samira) and John. Also survived by many loving nieces and nephews.

Family will receive friends at A.J. Desmond & Sons [[Vasu, Rodgers & Connell Chapel), 32515 Woodward [[btwn 13-14 Mile), Sunday 1-5p.m. Prayers 4p.m..

Funeral service Monday 11a.m. at The Antiochian Basilica of St. Mary, 18100 Merriman Rd., Livonia. Visitation begins at church 10a.m.

Interment Forest Lawn Cemetery, Detroit.

Memorial tributes to the church.

yep, supposedly there was a Big Boy on the eastside that Louis [[referred to by my old boss as Louie) Elias would eat at every morning. Thus, when Stainless was doing updates/changes to the food service equipment to this particular one my boss would start screaming [[and I mean screaming) LOUIE ELIAS EATS THERE EVERY DAY! Louis Elias was my former bosses uncle.