Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Detroit Radio

Default Detroit Radio

Good morning all, long time lurker from the UK here. I am wondering if there is a Detroit radio station that you could recommend I listen to over the internet. I'm not really interested in music and would mainly like to listen to news and discussions of the city.

I've never visited Detroit but have fallen in love with the idea of visiting some day to see what I think is a wonderful city [[regardless of the problems) and this is all thanks to this site.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Woohoo- whereabouts in the UK are you from? my neighbor is from Cardiff

There is 97.1 WDFN The Ticket which is mostly sports radio but sometimes they sprinkle some local political banter. What I often times do is log into my Yahoo Messenger and listen to Detroit Radio Stations. Yahoo has CBS based listening so you can get into some talk radio or some music. It does not represent all of the stations, but it's a good convenient start.

I second 97.1 The Ticket. I especially like Valenti & Foster who are on in the afternoon. They make for a great duo.

woohoo - Just curious, what makes you so interested in Detroit?

blksoul_x Guest

Woohoo, unfortunately in Detroit most of the radio institutions are white owned and guided by an outside perception [[white perception) enveloped in the innate belief that the dominate resident in Detroit [[which is Black African) is, in their own coded words, 'stupid', 'crazy', 'lazy', 'hostile', or 'ghetto'. The truth is constantly under-told and the stories are often sensationalized to fit and quench 'their' racist beliefs.

Unfortunately, the majority citizen is this city regarding talk radio and a true voice is well under-represented.

At best, to combat the constant 'lynching' of real Detroiters, 107.5 WGPR is a radio station the can best describe true thought in this city. Karen Dumas has a talk show on Sunday from 2pm to 3pm [[or maybe 3-4pm). Also 'Mason in the Morning' will sometimes discuss true local issues and concerns that will benefit real Detroiters.

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

woohoo - here's a link to a dicussion board for Detroit/Windsor radio in general. It might give you a little more insight on what you're listening to.

Buzzboard
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-15-09 at 09:05 AM.

WDET 101.9 FM is definitely the place for Detroit-centric programming. The Detroit Today program [[http://wdet.org/detroittoday/) is dedicated to the discussion of local issues.

If you are interested in non-commercial music stations, I highly recommend WCBN 88.3 FM Ann Arbor [[wcbn.org) and CJAM 91.5 FM Windsor [[www.uwindsor.ca/cjam/).

Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated. To answer a couple of questions:

pgn421: I live in the town of Ramsgate in the south-east corner of England by the coast. It's a pretty average town - nowhere near the size of Detroit with a population of around 45000. We also have a council that is permanently inept and seems to take great delight in getting rid of our heritage and our wonderful buildings despite the best efforts of many of the residents. Unemployment is higher than the national average although crime is pretty low. I guess council's are the same the world over - all in it for themselves.

izzyindetroit: Quite simply, I love reading about the history of America and its towns and cities. Unfortunately, I've only been to the States once when I visited NYC for a week in 2004.
    In terms of Detroit, I actually stumbled upon this site and enjoyed it so much that I decided to stick around. I love looking at the photos on the site [[as much as it does make me sad to see history being destroyed by those who don't care). The thing that made me stick around though, is reading what you guys say about your city. It's wonderful to see people with so much hope for their city despite what's happened to it in the past.
    Although I don't always understand what's being discussed on the forums and I can't envisage the neighbourhoods or the areas, I make it my business to go away and learn about it - An example is that when I first arrived, I didn't have a clue who Kwame Killpatrick was and I'd never even heard the name but thanks to Google, I now understand most of what is being discussed. I hope to return to the States in the future and one day to visit Detroit [[thanks to these forums, I now know where to go and where not to go!) - something that probably would never have happened had I not found DetroitYes - I'm sure most sites would advise against visiting Detroit.

[quote=pgn421;7643]Woohoo- whereabouts in the UK are you from? my neighbor is from Cardiff[/quote

Small world, I was also born in Cardiff. Although, I've lived in the Detroit area for almost 40 years now. Most of my family still lives there and I visit on a semi regular basis.

Welcome to the forum Woohoo.

Another excellent source Detroit politics and issues is the Mildred Gaddis show on WCHB 1200 6-10 AM EST.

Live streaming can be heard here.
    Last edited by Lowell; April-15-09 at 10:26 AM.

To bad CKLW isn't still around!!

blksoul_x, I think Terry Foster would beg to differ with you.

He speaks his mind very freely on his radio show on 97.1. I consider him to be a very bright and articulate voice of Detroit. While I don't always agree with him; I still respect his view points. I don't believe he brings any form of racism to the table. If you honestly believe he's playing the Uncle Tom role, feel free to call them up and try to bring it up with he and Mr. Valenti.

Retroit Guest

For continuous news: www.wwj.com
    For news, commentary, and interviews: www.wjr.com This station has a mix of local and nationally syndicated shows. The locals are: Paul W. Smith, Frank Beckmann, and Mitch Albom.

A couple of other media sites that might be of interest would be:

1) Mike Austerman's www.michiguide.com It's a broadcast news and information site that concentrates on Michigan

and

2) www.atriumforum.com It's another site similar to the Buzzboard. Probably not as good as the Buzzboard, but it isn't as cluttered, either.

WWJ 950 AM Newsradio or WDET 101.9, in particular the Detroit Today program that starts 1 PM our time.