Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Justice served?!

The fleeing vehicle had clipped a minivan with three persons inside and then smashed into a tow truck. All three suspects died, with one of the men being ejected from the car. The passengers in the minivan and tow truck suffered minor injuries.
    Westbound I-94 was closed until about 4:30 a.m.
    . On Wednesday afternoon, two teenagers from Detroit died in Roseville after crashing the truck they were driving into a tree at Gratiot and Utica roads.
    According to reports, the teenagers had stolen the truck from a parking lot at 13 and Gratiot and were fleeing police when the crash occurred.
    Read more: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0cgjKGZHe

Fortunaltly no innocent persons were killed by the fleeing felons.
    OK lets hear the opposing points of view.

Very unfortunate. In each case the perps took a risk for some purloined items, the CVS case is really dumb. What was there haul, some disposable razors, a case of beer perhaps? Worth the lives of the three in the minivan, hardly! But they made the decision to do the crime and evade police dangerously by heading the wrong way on the E-way. At least they did not take the innocent people who were uninvolved in the crime.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Fortunaltly no innocent persons were killed by the fleeing felons.
    Looks like a bad week for criminals and a good week for innocent bystanders. 5 less fellons to pay for in the prison system.

Buy American Guest

Yes, fortunately no innocent persons died.
    The three that chose to steal the Fusion, rob the store, flee from the police, get on the freeway going the wrong way...got exactly what they deserved. So did the two thieves who stole the truck the other day and decided to run from the police. This was not the St. Clair Shores Police Departments fault; the chase was over and these thugs still ran with no regard to anyone else except themselves.
    It doesn't matter what their "haul" was, the police have to pursue; otherwise, thugs will have the attitude that they can walk into a store, a bank, my home and blatently take what they want, get in their stolen vehicles and just drive away.
    Last edited by Buy American; January-15-10 at 11:05 AM.

Yep, no matter how bad things get there are always legitimate ways to make money. When all I could get was part time work for 6 years, I still managed to pay my bills, albeit not on time. But if I wanted a beer and chips from the party store I took in bottles and cans I collected from the road while I walked the dog. If I wanted the extravagance of going to a bar and spending $50, I used money made from selling stuff on eBay. I agree, there is no excuse to steal.

One of the problems with these chases is that there is little or no accountability for those caught. Some aren't even charged with fleeing and eluding, only the initial offense that brought them to the attention of the pursuing units.

I've said for years, if you engage police in a chase, you do two years mandatory separate from any other charges. Same as the gun laws when used in a felony. Even if no one is harmed and no property is damaged; you start a chase, you do two years. No excuses, no pleas, no 'good time', no parole.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    One of the problems with these chases is that there is little or no accountability for those caught. Some aren't even charged with fleeing and eluding, only the initial offense that brought them to the attention of the pursuing units.

I've said for years, if you engage police in a chase, you do two years mandatory separate from any other charges. Same as the gun laws when used in a felony. Even if no one is harmed and no property is damaged; you start a chase, you do two years. No excuses, no pleas, no 'good time', no parole.
    I agree with you 100%.
    It's hard to imagine that in "some" cases of a chase there are no charges filed in regards to the chase itself. I am sure that in every county throughout Michigan there are laws prohibiting someone eluding the police, whether it be running away or driving away. I think when the lawyers get the case, they plea deal and some charges are dropped.

"Three Detroit men on the run from police died this morning after their vehicle crashed while driving the wrong way on Interstate 94. According to St. Clair Shores police, the incident occurred after the three men, all in their 50s, fled a CVS Pharmacy at 11 Mile and Harper after being suspected of shoplifting."

WTF? One might feel a little sorry for dumb kids who run from the cops and get hurt or killed in an accident. But dumb middle aged men driving the wrong way on the freeway after stealing some crap from a CVS have no conceivable excuse and really deserve their fate.

So what's with the old folks crime wave that seems to be going on, like the 53 year old man that that guy on Manistique shot after experiencing several break-ins, and now these guys? Aging crackheads getting desperate? I'm 50, and while I did some truly idiotic things as a younger man and ran with some very problematic people, I really can't conceive of still being out there doing such blatant dumb-ass dangerous crap.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    So what's with the old folks crime wave that seems to be going on
    They need healthcare, so they have to go to jail to get it

Now I know why I heard SCS police sirens early this morning...

Those 3 fools probably didn't realize 2 things... 1) police response time to a 911 call anywhere in SCS is 4 minutes or less. But when the CVS is only about 1/2 miles from the Police HQ on 11 Mile & Jefferson, a police car is sure to be there in less time.... 2) the favorite nighttime break hangout for SCS police on the midnight shift is the 11 Mile/Little Mack 7Eleven store... 1/2 mile closer to the freeway than the Harper CVS store.

Same situation in Roseville... response time to police calls... lightning fast.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-15-10 at 02:27 PM.

The cynical part of me reads stories like this and gets a certain amount of satisfaction that there are three less criminals I have to worry about.

Thank God that this situation didn't end with the death of a innocent person, the way the theft in Waterford resulted in the death of a security guard last night.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post

I can certainly understand the sentiments and certainly agree this was a serious crime and could have been far worse had it resulted in the deaths of others.

But had the perpetrators survived, would it really have risen to the level of justifying the death penalty? [[That's what's really implied by saying "justice was served.") I don't believe so. We currently don't [[usually) sentence to death even drunk drivers who ARE actually involved in accidents that kill others.....

Retroit Guest

Anyone that puts the value of an object above the value of their own life deserves neither.

My view on this:

Crime don't pay......

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com