Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

SKIPPER"S HAMTOWN: Open 6PM Monday through Saturday for the time being. Hours will expand upon completing set up and staff. Electricity to the awning lights is now on and working - somewhat. You'll be able to notice the joint as you drive by. Juke and games are due in by this week-end or early next week. Scheduling events will happen soon. Anyone interested in dart and pool leagues or holding non-profit, non-religious, non-partisan, political events, email me at 1kielsondrive@live.com. Got a band that might like to do a show at an introductory price? Email me. Wanna show your art work? Ditto. Got an idea for a promotion. I'll listen. I'd like Skipper's to become a community center for arts, performance and fund-raisers. Well, I can hope, can't I?

As I used to say about Skipper's Downtown [[Detroit), come on down! C'mon down to Skipper's Hamtown. Now open at 6PM each night, monday through saturday. Soon to be opening earlier and 7 days when I complete staffing and advertising. Skipper's is located at 9735 Conant Street Hamtramck 48212, at the light at the corner of Evaline.

Hey Skipper, the bar TJ was probably talking about down the street from the Whiskey is the Atlas. It just got new owners and they're doing well, it seems. The Atlas used to be Roadrunners Raft.

I'll pop in this weekend. I have some good leads on personable, cute bartenders if you need one for a shift or two. If you had a friend-of-smalls working it would encourage a flow between the two bars since it's easy walking distance.

Are you really non-smoking already?

Kielson-if you need a good bartender, let me know!

Is this the same Skippers that used to be on Bagley in the old MI Theater Bldg? That was a cool place to stop by after work. I remember it was extremely small and got quite the eclectic crowd.

It is the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Hey Skipper, the bar TJ was probably talking about down the street from the Whiskey is the Atlas. It just got new owners and they're doing well, it seems. The Atlas used to be Roadrunners Raft.

I'll pop in this weekend. I have some good leads on personable, cute bartenders if you need one for a shift or two. If you had a friend-of-smalls working it would encourage a flow between the two bars since it's easy walking distance.

Are you really non-smoking already?
    Yes. I planned to be smoke free regardless. When the state changed the law effective in a few months, I decided all of my work cleaning nicotine off of everything, and it was a LOT of work, wouldn't be for naught. We have a couple of months and my bar smells nice and clean already. I'd love a back and forth with Small's. The whole idea behind my move to Hamtown is 'the more the merrier'. I'd love to have bars surrounding me. I used to say that about downtown Detroit. Alas, they were closing and leaving.

Any Faygo in the fridge?

Where's the best place to park to go to Skipper's and Small's?

You can just park anywhere on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    It is the same!
    Thanks Rick. You can be my Maitre D' too, if you'd like. There's a cold beer on me, just waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Any Faygo in the fridge?

Where's the best place to park to go to Skipper's and Small's?
    No Faygo yet. I spoke to Jerry B, from Faygo, at the Michigan Restaurant Show. Unfortunately, I haven't hooked up with him. Maybe next week. I'm thinking I'll go to the Faygo plant and then hit Better Made. Is Kar's Nuts still in existence?

You can just park anywhere on the street.
    Great work! Are you coming on board as my publicist? I love it. You can literally, sing my praises. You better stick your head in the door this weekend.

Mars Nuts is on 14 mi rd in Madison Heights

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    No Faygo yet. I spoke to Jerry B, from Faygo, at the Michigan Restaurant Show. Unfortunately, I haven't hooked up with him. Maybe next week. I'm thinking I'll go to the Faygo plant and then hit Better Made. Is Kar's Nuts still in existence?
    You can see if Germack on Wilkins has anything you can carry; don't know if they package stuff in bar-sized amounts, though.

http://germack.com/

[just finished off a bag of their pistachios]

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    You can see if Germack on Wilkins has anything you can carry; don't know if they package stuff in bar-sized amounts, though.

http://germack.com/

[just finished off a bag of their pistachios]
    They didn't used to. Maybe they started marketing to retail.

C'mon out to Hamtown friday and saturday evenings. Skipper's Hamtown is located at 9735 Conant Street @ Evaline, Hamtramck, 48212. Open at 6PM each day. Nice selction of beers and wines. Quite few NA beers. Games are due to be installed friday. And maybe the juke box, too. See ya' there.

Concerning the parking in the street near Skippers, I think it's pretty safe.

Most of the people living in Hamtrack do not have driveways and they park in the street, so your car will have lots of company.

I never see the tell tale broken glass on the curb that you see in some areas of Detroit.

I have lived in Hamtramck for about 20 years, and I didn't have a driveway for years, and my car was never bothered.

Of course, use common sense and don't leave anything visible in your car that might look desireable --no need to tempt fate.

Concerning the parking in the street near Skippers, I think it's pretty safe.

Most of the people living in Hamtrack do not have driveways and they park in the street, so your car will have lots of company.

I never see the tell tale broken glass on the curb that you see in some areas of Detroit.

I have lived in Hamtramck for about 20 years, and I didn't have a driveway for years, and my car was never bothered.

Of course, use common sense and don't leave anything visible in your car that might look desireable --no need to tempt fate.
    Thanks Rick, you're my Maitre D', publicist and now my spiritual advisor. A true Renaissance man!

Lot's of Hamtowners walking in the door. That's encouraging. People who live nearby are discovering Skipper's Hamtown Bar. Light crowd last night, but all good people wanting to hang out, meet others and listen to some good music. Thanks to all of you. It's gonna be a good year.

Skipper:

Pool table, games and juke box look great! The place is shaping up nicely...a friendly spot, great conversation and great seeing you behind the bar again!

Bob

Thanks Bob. Likewise. Having you in my barrrom is exactly the kind of crowd I'm hoping for - intelligent, involved and passionate.

I dropped in on Saturday. It was pretty cool, although it still sorta smelled like fresh paint. Mostly a fiftysomething crowd that night. Good luck, Skipper!

"I never see the tell tale broken glass on the curb that you see in some areas of Detroit.

I have lived in Hamtramck for about 20 years, and I didn't have a driveway for years, and my car was never bothered."

In fairness^ I think you should add the caveat to never park in a shoveled out spot in Hamtramck with a chair standing on it -- unless you want some 70 year babuska working your car over with a ball peen hammer.

Oh drat, I forgot the "kitchen chairs in the snow warning"! There is nothing worse than being mugged by an old woman whose head comes almost to your chin. Especially on a date!
    Last edited by RickBeall; February-01-10 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I dropped in on Saturday. It was pretty cool, although it still sorta smelled like fresh paint. Mostly a fiftysomething crowd that night. Good luck, Skipper!
    Thanks Detroitnerd. Yes, it was an older crowd on saturday. Thursday was just the opposite - a much younger crowd. It'll take a while to meld the two. And it does still smell like paint and cleaner because of the weeks of work we did to clean the basement, walls, fixtures, etc, of nicotine and molds. I had planned it to be a smoke free bar regardless, but all of the work cleaning and painting just confirmed that I wouldn't allow smoking in the time until the law takes effect. I can't tell you how much work was involved in sanding and painting the paneled walls because we couldn't wash away 30 plus years of nicotine. We also had to clean mountains of trash from the basement and wash it multiple times to remove mold. I applied Drylock to the walls, paint to the ceiling and oil based paint to the floors. But, I think the end product looks pretty nice and is starting its evolution. Thanks for your comments and feedback.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast