Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gun permits DOUBLED in Michigan in 2009

And here I thought that having a Democrat in the White House was supposed to lead to FEWER guns floating around

Posted: 12:52 p.m. Jan. 14, 2010
    Gun permits doubled in Michigan in 2009

By Dawson Bell
    Free Press Lansing Bureau

http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...034/1001/rss01
    Last edited by artds; January-14-10 at 03:07 PM.

"And I thought that having a Democrat in the White House was supposed to lead to FEWER guns floating around"

Not this Democrat; a great deal of people are crazy skittles over Obama being POTUS. Handgun prices are through the roof and there's been a run on ammo for the last year +. I just had a friend of mine tell me the other day that he's getting a permit and a CCW cause he's afraid Obama will be taking it all away soon. This stockpiling and ammo hoarding dwarfs the shit that was going down in the run up to Y2K. Lucky me; I invested when the market was down.

I dunno what it is about Obama that scares the shit outta these doods. I mean, it just can't be that he's a Democrat, right? lol.

Why must it have something to do with Obama being President, rather than the recession, crime rates sky rocketing and the overall economy. People wanting to protect themselves from all the criminals running rampant to eat and live, unlike ever before.

Retroit Guest

Gun ownership usually increases when people feel that their government is planning to take away their freedoms.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Why must it have something to do with Obama being President, rather than the recession, crime rates sky rocketing and the overall economy. People wanting to protect themselves from all the criminals running rampant to eat and live, unlike ever before.
    It has been well-documented that since Obama was elected there has been a huge surge in people applying for gun permits, etc. all around the country. Obama's reputation is that of being anti-gun. So, people who want guns have scrambled to get them. I don't think it goes any deeper than that.

Personal experience, filed under FWIW -- this shit started during the run up to the election and pegged after the election results were in. Doods on the internets gun boards were freakin` and now their outta their skulls.

BTW -- The in my post wasn't meant to imply that it's because Obama is a Democrat, rather something else that's pretty obvious. We're all too familiar with that 'tude 'round these parts.

Seen a Tea Bagger get together lately?

I thought it was because people have started hunting for their own food during the recession.

Rideron Guest

If you're buying a gun now because you're afraid of a government reaching out to disarm you; sorry but you have already missed the boat.

The records generated now with a gun purchase or a CCW permit provide a direct link right to you for any current or future goovernment agency that wants to comes knocking on your door to collect it from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    If you're buying a gun now because you're afraid of a government reaching out to disarm you; sorry but you have already missed the boat.

The records generated now with a gun purchase or a CCW permit provide a direct link right to you for any current or future goovernment agency that wants to comes knocking on your door to collect it from you.
    Or you can just post your right-wing nutjob theories on an internet forum, and the Big Bad Gubment can just as easily locate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post

That was happening before Pres. B.O. began running things further into the ground [[collection of data).

If he really wants to loose control in America, just wait until the gov't attempts to "collect" its first firearm...

What else do you need...

http://newsmax.com/InsideCover/holde...1/21/id/326743

Print Page | Forward Page | E-mail Us
    Eric Holder Was a Gun Control Nightmare

Friday, 21 Nov 2008 11:03 AM
    Article Font Size

By: Jim Meyers

Barack Obama’s nomination of Eric Holder for attorney general will not sit well with advocates of Second Amendment rights — Holder has consistently championed stronger gun-control measures.
    As deputy attorney general in the Bill Clinton administration from 1997 to 2001, Holder “was a strong supporter of restrictive gun control,†according to The Volokh Conspiracy, a Web site that focuses on the legal system and the courts.
    He advocated federal licensing of handgun owners, a three-day waiting period on handgun sales, rationing handgun sales to no more than one per month, banning possession of handguns and so-called "assault weapons" by anyone under age 21, a gun show restriction bill that would have given the federal government the power to shut down all gun shows, and national gun registration.
    “He also promoted the factoid that ‘Every day that goes by, about 12, 13 more children in this country die from gun violence’ — a statistic that is true only if one counts 18-year-old gangsters who shoot each other as ‘children,’†noted the Web site, founded by law professor Alexander Volokh.
    After the 9/11 attacks, Holder wrote an opinion piece for The Washington Post arguing that a new law should give "the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms a record of every firearm sale." He also said prospective gun buyers should be checked against the secret "watch lists" compiled by various government entities.
    Earlier this year, Holder — who would become the first African-American attorney general — co-signed an amicus brief in support of the District of Columbia’s ban on all handguns and on the use of any firearm for self-defense in the home.
    Holder also played a key role in the snatching of 6-year-old Cuban Elian Gonzalez from his Miami relatives’ home in April 2000, according to the Web site. Gonzalez was to be sent to Cuba where his father lived.

When I took a CCW class only two people said that they were taking the class because they were afraid that the right would be taken away. Everyone else was gettice the permit to defend themselves from criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Gun ownership usually increases when people feel that their government is planning to take away their freedoms.
    then why did't it rise in last decade ...ummm [[kidding)

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    then why did't it rise in last decade ...ummm [[kidding)
    Good point. I should have said: "Gun ownership usually increases when law-abiding citizens feel that their government is planning to take away their freedoms."

It's not and either / or issue! All of those realities are factors..... as those who are purchasing CCWs vary in their reasoning, and decisions and choices on the subject and are not all from the same political group either.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Handgun prices are through the roof and there's been a run on ammo for the last year +. I just had a friend of mine tell me the other day that he's getting a permit and a CCW cause he's afraid Obama will be taking it all away soon. This stockpiling and ammo hoarding dwarfs the shit that was going down in the run up to Y2K. Lucky me; I invested when the market was down.
    You reminded me of this one from The Daily Show:
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...009/money-shot

Anyone with any common sense realizes, IF and when the economy finally collapses, there will be marauding gangs looting and stealing, reference New Orleans. If people are hungry and you have food, you better have a gun to protect it, or they'll just walk in and take it - with a gun. That is why so many people are buying firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Anyone with any common sense realizes, IF and when the economy finally collapses, there will be marauding gangs looting and stealing, reference New Orleans. If people are hungry and you have food, you better have a gun to protect it, or they'll just walk in and take it - with a gun. That is why so many people are buying firearms.
    What's it like to live scared of everything?

Boy, now I feel that I need a gun in order to protect myself from all the paranoid new gun owners...

I'm gonna point my satellite dish at my neighbor's house as a warning.

If the government was really going to take citizens guns away, what exactly would people do? Become insurgents?

Quote: "What's it like to live scared of everything?"

What's it like believing everything your party tells you?

Are the personal attacks really necessary? Stashmoos comment was legitimate. There is no need to bring your petty disputes to EVERY thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    What's it like to live scared of everything?

Some type of change in gun laws is not the same as "taking guns away". What is the govt. going to do- go door to door and search everyone's house? What BS.

Boy, now I feel that I need a gun in order to protect myself from all the paranoid new gun owners
    Yes, the "Berserk gunman of the month" is scarier than the govt.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Are the personal attacks really necessary? Stashmoos comment was legitimate. There is no need to bring your petty disputes to EVERY thread.
    It was not a personal attack. When one openly writes that he anticipates wildly implausible conditions, and uses those implausible conditions to justify "defending himself against marauders in search of food", that's being scared silly.

I use my own brain. I don't need groupthink to get me through the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Some type of change in gun laws is not the same as "taking guns away". What is the govt. going to do- go door to door and search everyone's house? What BS.
    Nah, they're just going to pass a new version of the assault weapons ban.

However, when this happens, right wing fanatics everywhere will claim that Obama's plan was *really* to take the guns away, but that the public sufficiently armed themselves in time to prevent this from happening. Seriously, these people are that delusional.

I'm a gun owner myself, but there's a difference between people like myself and the people I'm berating:

I own a gun because I find it necessary to own one, but I very much dislike the fact that its necessary to own one in the first place.

It's the people who actually LIKE guns and get EXCITED about guns who the public has a legitimate reason to be concerned about, and if the government finds it necessary to prevent assault weapons from getting into the hands of these people and even take their guns away for acting all crazy, then I'm all for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast