Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Architect Leslie G. Larkin

Anyone hear of Leslie G. Larkin? If so, what can you tell me about him?
    Tonight going through the old Lincoln Park newspapers on microfiche at the Allen Park Library I can across an article in The Melvindale News June 18, 1936 paper talking about Lincoln Park's Park Theatre. It listed Leslie G. Larkin, formerly associated with C. Howard Crane to be the architect of the upcoming renovation. Its the renovaton that still exists on the exterior. For years I've been seeking this answer as to the architect to the 1936 facade renovation! The June 19, 1936 The Lincoln Parker [[William Mellus' paper) talked about the history of the theater and its developer Maurice Levy and stated that it was built "under supervision of Leslie G. Larkin, associated with C. Howard Crane, prominient theater architect." Googling Mr. Larkin's name I only see that he was one of the founders of the local CSI [[Construction Specifications Institute) chapter.

Larkin does not show up in the directory of theater architects in the back of the Andrew Craig Morrison book on Detroit theaters, and the Park [[in Lincoln park) isn't listed, the book only lists theaters in Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park and the Grosse Pointes.
    Crane had relocated to England by then, the UK experienced their cinema building boom in the 1930s, a decade after the US and Crane saw the writing on the wall and went where the work was.
    I helped hang a new screen in the Park, about 1978 or so, one sight you don't want to see is an adult theater with the lights turned all the way up.
    Last edited by 56packman; January-14-10 at 11:15 PM.

Did Crane's firm continue to do business in Detroit after Crane went to the UK? If the wording in the article is as stated, it sounds like Larkin was the lead architect for the project on behalf of the Crane firm. In this case, you would not see the individual credited as the architect, but the firm, C. Howard Crane.

Reviewing my notes, the June 18, 1936 The Melvindale News listed the architect as Leslie G. Larkin "formerly associated with C. Howard Crane."

Then the June 19, 1936 The Lincoln Parker talks about how the theater was to be enlarged and remodeled with a new interior, marquee, new neon sign, comfortable seats, sound improvements and the latest ventilating system. Then the article goes onto talk about when the theater was built in 1925, its developer Maurice Levy, and states that "ground was broken for the new structure in March [1925] under supervision of Leslie G. Larkin, associated with C. Howard Crane, prominient theater architect."

If C. Howard Crane was gone by the 1930's how does it explain that he designed the Farmington Civic Theater which opened in 1940?

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    If C. Howard Crane was gone by the 1930's how does it explain that he designed the Farmington Civic Theater which opened in 1940?
    A mostly-finished design could have been sitting on the shelf. Could have been done by an underling. He could have done it from somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    A mostly-finished design could have been sitting on the shelf. Could have been done by an underling. He could have done it from somewhere else.
    That is true. Thanks for the info.

Ok, I got an email back from the Burton Historical Collection. They said:

"A search of the Biography Index and the Manuscript Collection did not provide any information regarding Leslie G. Larkin. As our Music, Art and Literature Department covers the subject of architecture, you may consider contacting the staff there to check their files." They gave me an email to someone there to contact.

So, do you think that C. Howard Crane was really the one responsible for the design and that he was now in England and Mr. Larkin was overseeing the project like he did on the 1925 construction?

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    Anyone hear of Leslie G. Larkin? If so, what can you tell me about him?
    Leslie G. Larkin was my grandfather who passed away in 1978...unfortunately, family archives are sparse but I will 'dig' some more and let you know what I'm able to find out.

From the AIA 1956 roster:

LARKTN, LESLIE G[[LENN). [[AIA)
    Office: 515 Hammond Bldg, Detroit 26. Home: 31040 Westfleld, Livonia,
    Mich,
    b, Groton, N.Y, Dec. 2, 92. M, 19, Children 2. Educ: Detroit Inst, of Tech,
    08-10. Draftsman, various offices, 09-18, 19-24; Draftsman Specif. &
    Constr, C. Howard Crane & Assocs, 24-28, Specif-Constract Admin,
    Derrick & Gamber, 28-41, 46-54. Present Firm: Derrick & Gamber, org.
    21, Joined firm part, 54. Reg: Mich. Gen. Types: 2,3,5,7,9. Mem Mich.
    Soc. of Archts, Constr. Specifs. Inst. Gov. Serv: Capt. to Major, Army-
    Corps of Engrs, 42-46. AIA Mem: Detroit Chapter.

Even though Crane moved to London in 1930 [[and is buried there in 1952), he came back to Detroit often. And by 1940 the Luftwaffe was bombing London, so Crane may have extended one of his stays in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    From the AIA 1956 roster:

LARKTN, LESLIE G[[LENN). [[AIA)
    Office: 515 Hammond Bldg, Detroit 26. Home: 31040 Westfleld, Livonia,
    Mich,
    b, Groton, N.Y, Dec. 2, 92. M, 19, Children 2. Educ: Detroit Inst, of Tech,
    08-10. Draftsman, various offices, 09-18, 19-24; Draftsman Specif. &
    Constr, C. Howard Crane & Assocs, 24-28, Specif-Constract Admin,
    Derrick & Gamber, 28-41, 46-54. Present Firm: Derrick & Gamber, org.
    21, Joined firm part, 54. Reg: Mich. Gen. Types: 2,3,5,7,9. Mem Mich.
    Soc. of Archts, Constr. Specifs. Inst. Gov. Serv: Capt. to Major, Army-
    Corps of Engrs, 42-46. AIA Mem: Detroit Chapter.
    Thanks for the great info.

Quote Originally Posted by dnlarkin View Post
    Leslie G. Larkin was my grandfather who passed away in 1978...unfortunately, family archives are sparse but I will 'dig' some more and let you know what I'm able to find out.
    I'm excited to hear from you, dnlarkin. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Cataloging a group of blueprints I found this. The architects on the plans were Samuel J. Durant and Leslie G. Larkin.
    Attached Images Attached Images