Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default DDOT wins ridiculously long URL award

I know: It would be awfully simple to have a handy URL for people to key in and get information. But Detroit is much more creative. Check out this outstanding, 86-character URL!

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...0/Default.aspx

Stosh Guest

What is it? Do they get paid by the letter? Extra for the backslashes? Probably even more for the unneeded capital letters...

Compare with these totally uncreative URLs.

smartbus.org

theride.org

Bonus! Apparently someone forgot to renew the domain or update the host records for http://www.ridedetroittransit.com/ which now points to dead link. I hope all those billboards with the large type of the web address are down by now.

cool story, bro.

just because they spelled out each word of DDOT? it's not all that long - look at any URL on a shopping website. a google search for ddot gives you a couple results, one of which is your long link.

I'm sure nothing simple like www.detroitdot.org is available....or anything....

Quote Originally Posted by jtw View Post
    cool story, bro.

just because they spelled out each word of DDOT? it's not all that long - look at any URL on a shopping website. a google search for ddot gives you a couple results, one of which is your long link.
    Did you try those links, jtw? I found some shorter ones ... that led to ... nothing.

yeah, i tried the others - broken links are annoying but as long as there's one that works, no harm no foul.

the bigger gripe is that the entire site needs javascript enabled before it displays anything at all.

Here's another link to a Detroit "jewel".

www.cobocenter.com

Um....slightly off topic....but anytime you want to include a stupidly long URL in an email or a post, great way to quickly shorten it is to go to www.tinyurl.com I use it frequently. [[Yeah, it's free!)

^^^^ Nuh-Uh. Security issue. Never expect anyone to click on a blind link. That's how phising and trojan sites are so successful.

It's times like this that Google is our best friend.