Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Real Pizza?

Default Real Pizza?

Can anyone please tell me where I can get a real pizza on the Eastside? By real I mean a pizza not cooked on a conveyor belt but in a real oven with a non-pimply kid watching it, and the dough made onsite not pre-made. Thanks, I'm having withdrawals.

Buddy's????

Yes buddys, I guess I should have said a round pizza. My bad.

bartock Guest

I've touted Dan Good Pizza before. It is Dan Good and in St. Clair Shores.

Cloverleaf is the East Side's Buddys [[Buddys is here also) - Cloverleaf is on Gratiot near Stephens [[??).

Dinotos in Grosse Pointe Woods and Nona's in Harper Woods get rave reviews, but I think they are a bit overrated. Dinotos is family owned/operated, and would be more of the home made variety, however, and I think one of our newspapers named it among the best in the region.

tarkus- Nonas on Harper east of Allard
    313 884 5900 . It's fabulous!

supino's pizza in the Eastern Market.

Louie's on JohnR in Hazel Park. Self-proclaimed "Detroit-Style" pizza. Best I've had in town.

Has anyone tried "slice" on 9 mile in Eastpointe?

I second Supino's on Russell St. in Eastern Market -- probably the best pizza in town!

I don't remember the pizza being that good, but one of my favorite things to eat in Detroit is a deli slice at Dan & Vis Pizza on Chene at the Boulevard.

southsider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ruxy17 View Post
    supino's pizza in the Eastern Market.
    Agreed. It fits your bill. Its not good pizza [[I guess its all subjective), but its all handmade.

Someone needs to define "real" or "good" pizza here. If one is coming from a NYC, brick-oven baked, thin crust, round pizza reference, nothing in Detroit [[nor probably in Chicago, either) will meet the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Someone needs to define "real" or "good" pizza here. If one is coming from a NYC, brick-oven baked, thin crust, round pizza reference, nothing in Detroit [[nor probably in Chicago, either) will meet the criteria.
    I've thought about while I live here in NYC, getting a job at a good pizza joint & taking a lot of notes... but I'm already working 6 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I don't remember the pizza being that good, but one of my favorite things to eat in Detroit is a deli slice at Dan & Vis Pizza on Chene at the Boulevard.
    You're right, they're pizza isn't that good. It's ok - goes down pretty good. It isn't great by any means.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're hungry it tastes pretty good.

Gilberts Lodge on Harper between 8 and 9

/another vote for Nona's
    //and Jets for the conveyor specials - I miss that more than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I think that place, Dan & Vi's, is gone.

Best pizza by far is Green Lantern at 12 & John R [[technically still the eastside). Cloverleaf, Nona's, Louie's and Pepperoni Grill on Mack round out my top five. Gee Willie's used to be there when they used the Cal's recipe.

jtf1972 wrote:
    >>I've thought about while I live here in NYC, getting a job at a good pizza joint & taking a lot of notes... but I'm already working 6 days a week.

I already have our 'joisy spy in place. One man band Walter Tore was born in New Jersey and he shared the recipe he learned as a teenager. Note well, that the bricks lining the oven are an integral part of the recipe [[seriously!), also note well that since we mentioned bricks in this reply, this reply is relevant to Detroit Yes and architecture in general [[less serious).

And here it is. This is a NJ style recipe.
    .................................................. ....................................

dough:

3 cups king arthur bread flour [[the best store bought I have found)
    1 cup of warm water with 1 tsp of instant rise yeast [[ I buy a big bag of it at GFS for like 2 bucks)
    1/2 tsp salt

add the yeast to the water and whisk it till it is mixed
    add the flour
    add the salt

knead with a kitchen aid mixer for 10 minutes or do it by hand for 10. I end up adding water until the dough is slightly sticky to the touch

this will divide into 3-4 crusts- roll each one into nice looking balls.
    spray some pam on the countertop and cover each one with a pot or damp towel and let rise for 3-6 hours. You can also put them in a zip lock bag and keep them in the fridge for a week.

Sauce:

canned tomato paste[[2 of those little cans)- add cold water until you get it to a thin consistency. Add fresh crushed garlic to taste and dried oregano and basil. [[ I usually use 3-5 cloves, a teraspoon of basil and a few tablespoons of oregano). Let it sit out while the dough rises

heat the oven for an hour as hot as it will go, place the rack on the lowest setting and line it with Dale Tile red clay squares [[ a case costs about 30 bucks and will fill 20 overns) there are no added ingredients in them only red clay. Get a pizza peel and lightly flour it. Flour the couter and dust a dough with flour. Pick it up gently and shape it on the pile of flour using light finger pressure. Then toss it to shape and cover with sauce and mozzerella chesse-don't go crazy with the cheese. do not use a rolling pin. It will wreck it. And do not cook it in a pan or tray. It has to cook directly on the stone. Bake it for about 10 minutes and you got it.
    .................................................. ..................................

All right, let's stimulate some economic recovery with these state secrets [[oh yes, and invite me over if you make the pizza, I've never tried.)
    Last edited by RickBeall; January-13-10 at 05:32 PM.

If this is the case, my heart will break.

Those deli slices are [[were?) amazing. I always meant to break one down and try to figure out the crust, but ended up eating them instead.

Southsider-

Wow! Supino's doesn't have good pizza? I know taste is very subjective and all but just curious what you didn't like about it?

I don't care for Supinos, I like my pizza, thin crust loaded with everything!

Mama Rosa's!

Try Supino's Pizza in eastern Market if you like thin crust, round pizza. I just not sure about the brick oven thing.

Vince's, on 8 Mile & Goulburn, used to have great pizzas [[baked and unbaked).

Must have closed really quickly, I just was in there at around 12pm today, They were as open as can be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast