Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Out of wedlock-cohabitation

I would love the opportunity to refuse a rental property to a devoutly religious couple,[[citing a disaproval of their religious belief system) preferably a couple of eighty somethings, to give them a taste of their own vile medicine. Considering high divorce rates, and that we can only speculate there is a supernatural being that requires a marriage ceremony-a ritual that probably evolved for some cultural-societal benefit, as opposed to knowing for a fact that in the natural world humans need shelter to protect them from the elements, it is unreasonable to allow the religious to claim that their religious freedoms are violated when they are not allowed to discriminate against unmarried couples. When my sons mother and I rented an apartment years ago she wore a ring and we introduced ourselves to the old landlord as a married couple, using the same routine twice. Second time around after we moved I made sure the landlords knew we werent married, they seemed shocked so they probably would not have rented the place had we been upfront.

On children born outside of religious ceremonies, wives sometimes commit infidelity so a religious ceremony does not gurantee legitimacy. It infuriates me to hear the religious refer to small human beings as 'illigitamate'. Medical science determines parenthood.What if a couple has a civil ceremony with no mention of God, or they go through the routine of a religious ceremony to 'keep the peace' or out of respect for family,lying to the religious figure about believing, or simply just not taking the event seriously,is the child still not the real deal?

Ive read several cases involving landlords who discriminate based on marital status,and the landlords have actually won a couple surprisingly. Cant remember all the names of the cases, but I remember the fair housing commission in Alaska ruled in favor of the plaintiffs. The issue strikes a nerve with me I think because of the antagonism and judgement I encountered dealing with oppressive religious individuals. Live and let live...

I'll rent to married couples or unmarried couples as long as they are clean, non criminals, and paying with american made money!

Retroit Guest

No discrimination on basis of religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status. Housing programs for elderly exempted; children may be restricted to certain areas of complex [[Dept. of Civil Rights v. Beznos Co., 421 Mich. 110))

Hah! "Quiet" couples are ok to live near... I know I just don't want to live around the revolving-door, chronically arguing, yelling, cursing, constant car-horn blowing, match and gasoline can-holding, hammer, knife and or gun welding, audience requiring [[court TV, Jerry Springer) kook-dumb couples!

I need the drama of a "disgruntled" boy or girl "friend" like I need a tsunami. I don't! And some of the married folk really carry on too. Some people just do not know how to live, and have no respect themselves, for others or others property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundyke View Post
    I'll rent to married couples or unmarried couples as long as they are clean, non criminals, and paying with american made money!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-17-10 at 07:39 AM.

littlebuddy Guest

You don't have the money to buy a house or don't want the bother, but you want the right to tell those who do who they can and cannot rent to. Just because someone else has a standard that you don't agree with they should change to fit what you want? What do high divorce rates have to do with them renting a house to you? Is that your reason for not marrying, that you are afraid of marriage because you might get divorced? Why live then, as everybody dies one day, just give up now and get it over with if the world will not bend to your will. Take the time and trouble to earn money and buy some houses and then not rent them to people you do not like. Rent them to people like you who 9 out of 10 times will not pay rent on time if at all and trash the place.

Sorry buddy,

It is not legal in the United States to discriminate against people because of their marital status.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    You don't have the money to buy a house or don't want the bother, but you want the right to tell those who do who they can and cannot rent to. Just because someone else has a standard that you don't agree with they should change to fit what you want? What do high divorce rates have to do with them renting a house to you? Is that your reason for not marrying, that you are afraid of marriage because you might get divorced? Why live then, as everybody dies one day, just give up now and get it over with if the world will not bend to your will. Take the time and trouble to earn money and buy some houses and then not rent them to people you do not like. Rent them to people like you who 9 out of 10 times will not pay rent on time if at all and trash the place.