Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default In Detroit, Entrepreneurs See Opportunity in Hard Times - NYTimes.com

Thanks... reposted this to Facebook.

So it begins...crazy artists find Detroit.

This is exactly why I want to come here.

Detroit need more brave entrepreneurs to make their dreams come true and make the city better for it.

Pimping out my blog....
    http://r8rbob.wordpress.com/

Why no mention by the start-ups of the notoriously horrible process of getting city approval to do anything?

Is it me, or does the NY times post more articles on Detroit than on it's own city?? Positive or negative? Sure seems like they would be more concerned with what's going on in their own city, unless it's reported in another section of the paper, that I'm not aware of. New York being almost 10 times the size of Detroit, has plenty of things to report about I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Is it me, or does the NY times post more articles on Detroit than on it's own city?? Positive or negative? Sure seems like they would be more concerned with what's going on in their own city, unless it's reported in another section of the paper, that I'm not aware of. New York being almost 10 times the size of Detroit, has plenty of things to report about I'm sure.
    NYC loves Detroit because it reminds them of Brooklyn, Harlem, and Queens before NYC became over-saturated with wealth & gentrification. Almost everyone I meet from NYC has some kind of affinity for or curiosity about Detroit.

Almost everyone I meet from NYC has some kind of affinity for or curiosity about Detroit
    I have noticed this all along the East Coast. Beats me though.

The Times has a "local" section that focuses on city and regional stories.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/nyregion/index.html

When a writer friend of mine in S.F. asked why Charlie LaDuff would write for the Detroit News I said he is either losing his skills as a reporter or getting lazy. I think doing stories like his in Detroit is only too easy. That's why I think NYT sends it reporters so oftern to Detroit; you get the great human interst story with less work and at a lower cost.

It great to read about new entrepeneurs in the city and a few of their project sound like great additions to quality of life in the city. However from what I read they are not pulling any wealth into the area from outside state or nation but redirecting the wealth that may still be there. That is and will continue to be the funtimental challenge of replacing the manufactoring sector.