Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Flea Markets in the D

Any good flea markets in or near the D that aren't too pricey or junk ridden? Im familiar with Dixieland and Russell Industrial booths, but Im interested in the simple table type flea markets or resale shops in and near Detroit. Ever stop by that big place on Vandyke that sells used toys and assorted trinkets and goodies

Gibraltar Trade Centre and the Taylor Trade Centre both in Taylor. GTC is at Eureka and Racho, and TTC is on Ecorse.

In Detroit, there is a flea market on Federal Street west of Junction Avenue [[you turn under the railway viaducts).

In Hamtramck, on Jos Campau there is a large store [[in an old auto dealership) called "Recycled Treasures". They are not a flea market, but everything they have is at flea market prices or less.

I was there Saturday, and I bought one of those old sewing tables complete with the sewing machine, where the sewing machine sinks into the desk. It is made of mahogany and I paid $10. I junked the sewing machine and use it as a little desk.

There is the Royal Flee market in the old Farmers Market on Sundays [[I have heard about it, I've never been there.)

In Romulus, during the nice weather months, is the Middlebelt Road Flea Market on Middlebelt Road south of the airport. Its an outdoor market with all sorts of stuff. I haven't gone to it in about 3 years but my husband and father-in-law went nearly every week this past year. I hear that its grown in vendors.

Although it has been a number of years since I've been there, the Roayal Oak Farmer's Market becomes a flea market every sunday

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/portal...farmers-market

A Flea Market of regional fame is open every Sunday with 100+ vendors sell on a rotating basis, attracting repeat visits from antiques and collectibles-seekers from all over the state
    I thought I read that Royal Oak was rehabbing the old market with new doors, windows, an industrial kitchen, and ADA compliant bathrooms. Don't know the status of that work so I suggest you call up there and ask if they are indeed open.

IIRC the "flea" quality of the RO Market was much more upscale than the Dixieland place in Pontiac. In RO they cater to a more decerning crowd.

Upscale fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    IIRC the "flea" quality of the RO Market was much more upscale than the Dixieland place in Pontiac. In RO they cater to a more decerning crowd.
    Oh yeah - Dixieland is mostly junk - the tiny antiques dealers that used to be in the back are not what they used to be. The RO market has a lot of dealers of "vintage" and antique stuff - I can usually find something cool there. This time of year when it's cold there is a flea market and farmer's market on Saturday, and then Sunday is the flea market. In the summer time Saturday is pretty much only farmers, and the outside booths are full as well - on Sunday it is all flea market inside and out - I LOVE strolling around this market in the summer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin89 View Post
    In Detroit, there is a flea market on Federal Street west of Junction Avenue [[you turn under the railway viaducts).
    I think I passed by once or twice..is the market open on Sundays? There is a flea market on Dequindre and 8 mile and also on Ryan? a little farther north...also on Groesbeck but was a bit crummy...

Not really a Flea Market.
    I've stopped into the Detroit Antique mall behind Cass Tech on the freeway service drive. Alot of 60's stuff in there, and spots of vintage items too.

Default Lewis trade center

has anyone ever been to this flea market http://www.lewistradecenter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Junkin4Life View Post
    has anyone ever been to this flea market http://www.lewistradecenter.com
    Well - I see that they sell "chester drawers"!! LOL That truly makes them a unique place to shop if I ever saw one!
    Last edited by lizaanne; January-14-10 at 05:22 PM.

Try Vogue Vintage on Woodward in Pleasent Ridge.They also have a warehouse in Ferndale. Lots of cool Mid Century stuff
    The farmers market in Royal Oak is every Sunday from 8 am until 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    Well - I see that they sell "chester drawers"!! LOL That truly makes them a unique place to shop if I ever saw one!
    That's hilarious!

i'll have to look into this.. see what spots will let you rent out a table for a couple of weekends..

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    That's funny!
    There's a logging show on the tube where the guy felt his son betrayed him. He called him a "Benny McDonald".