Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Victory Theater

Default Victory Theater

Does anyone remember going to the Victory Theater on Grand River and Ivanhoe?
    My Grandmother and Aunt lived on Spokane street near Grand River and when I was young, I think I was visiting there and my older Cousin took me to the Victory show and we saw Frankenstein meets Abbot and Costello. Scarred the hell out of me.Probably the first movie I ever saw at a show.

I have a book listing all the Detroit movie theaters from 1906-92. For the Victory Theater, it directs the reader to the Grand Victory Theater. At the listing for the Grand Victory Theater, it directs the reader to the Victory Theater. Brilliant!

Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein was shown at the Penn Theater in Plymouth last October. It played to a full house of mostly families with plenty of young kids. Their reaction to Abbot & Costello skits were no different from when I first saw them on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5N9FJc__Q

I remember the building as a church, the white terra cotta facade covered with 'mural stone'. The best feature was two huge terra cotta eagles with full wing span. It appeared there was stud lighting on the building--light bulbs in centers of flowers. After the church went out of business, probably in the mid to late 1980's the eagles disappeared off the cornice and the building appeared to be stripped. I never saw the interior and probably should have stopped by on a Sunday while the church was still operating. I'll ask a friend who grew up in the neighborhood if he remembers going there and if so has any rememberences.
    Last edited by detroitbob; January-11-10 at 12:53 AM.

Which book is that, Eno?
    The book on Detroit theaters I have is about 30 years old, but it does have a drawing of the Victory in the back [[looks gorgeous!) and the following under the main entry of "Grand Victory":

GRAND VICTORY
    8225 Grand River Ave.
    919 seats
    Architect was Maurice H. Finkel
    Was Grand Victory from 1921-1939
    Renamed CHARGOT from 1939 to 1940
    Renamed VICTORY from 1940 until closing in 1958

Motor City Marquees by Stuart Galbraith IV, McFarland & CO., 1994

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Motor City Marquees by Stuart Galbraith IV, McFarland & CO., 1994
    I have an extra copy of "Opera House, Nickel Show and Palace," the definitive source on Detroit theaters [[though it's dated because it's 30 years old). I picked up an extra copy last time I was at John King since it's so rare. I'd let it go at what I paid for it: $40. Not looking to make a profit, just trying to help out other theater buffs.

Thanks for the generous offer but the book I have, despite it's shortcomings, suits my needs.

I lent my copy of "Opera House, Nickel Show and Palace," to Stuart Galbraith who used it as a prime reference in his book. It is good to have both works.

Can anyone post a picture of Victory Theater, or know where one is posted? I am restoring a wedding photo of my parents, getting in the car at what is now the 'Abundant Life Christian Center', and you can see the Victory Theater in the background. Part of the building is destroyed in the picture, and I would like to try to make it as authentic as possible...but I don't know what the building looked like. I can see the spread-winged Eagles at the top!

Probably not the same theater, I'm not Detroit native youn know, but what an astonishingly beautiful oil painting!!

I was fooled at first in thinking it was a photograph, until I zoomed in. Amazing!

Is this the right one?

There was a victory at 8225 Grad Avenue, as mentioned above, and the neighboring plot is now the home of this sign...

Supporting troops is the right thing to do..... but donating you car??? Could be a cross post to this thread.

Default Victory theater

There is some old movie footage at about the 31 minute mark on this video.
    http://www.archive.org/details/LostL...010?start=59.5.

it shows the Victory theater along with the Hot Rod Shop next door, and Andy's Barber shop next to that and A Standard gas station on the corner.
    Great video of Detroit

I've noticed quite a few editing errors in Motor City Marquees. It is a fine resource none the less.

buildingsofdetroit:
    I'd be happy to take that puppy off your hands if you're still offering it.
    email me at krawlspace [[at) comcast.net

Name:  momdadmyron-1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  34.8 KB

The Victory Theater was across the street from Calvary Presbyterian Church, where my parents were married. The church has changed hands several times, and is now the Abundant Life Christian Center at Vicksburg and Grand River Ave. The church 'Whitehouse' asked about is it. They are coming out the side door in this picture, and you can see the Victory sign behind my mothers head, and the eagles on top...

The movie REALLY helped jgavrile, thank you all for your help! I'll repost the picture when I'm done with it!

Default "Opera House, Nickel Show and Palace"

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I have an extra copy of "Opera House, Nickel Show and Palace," the definitive source on Detroit theaters [[though it's dated because it's 30 years old). I picked up an extra copy last time I was at John King since it's so rare. I'd let it go at what I paid for it: $40. Not looking to make a profit, just trying to help out other theater buffs.
    Hi! Do you happen to still have the extra copy of "Opera House, Nickel Show and Palace"? If so, I would be interested in buying it. I have been researching late 19th- and early 20th century theaters and have come across references to this title a few times. Thanks!