Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Et tu, Sam

Buy American Guest

Default Et tu, Sam

http://www.freep.com/article/2010011...505/1001/rss01

Sam, Sam, Sam....you too? I once said I thought you should be mayor....how wrong could I have been?

Why are you so surprised with the invocation of the "Detroit Shuffle"?

It actually could be a legitimate argument if the facts support it. It isn't the first time I have heard that Wayne County juries are not reflective of Detroit's population. When you think of it, the county includes Livonia, Canton, Northville, Wyandotte and many more communities that do not have Detroit's profile. If the defendant is from Detroit, does it then follow that a jury of his peers should include more of Detroit and less of Wayne County? Lots of questions could be asked here.

1-- Do Detroiters get called for jury duty?
    2-- If called, do they attend?
    3-- What is the ratio of jurors in the jury pool, Detroiters:Wayne County Other Than Detroit?
    4-- What is the ratio of jurors selected, Detroiters:Wayne County Other Than Detroit?
    5-- Are Detroiters dismissed at a greater rate?
    6-- What is the ratio of defendants, Detroit:Wayne County Other Than Detroit?

When the facts in the case are against you, then attack the legitimacy of the process. Sam is laying the groundwork for his appeal by claiming his trial jury doesn't accurately reflect the makeup of the community. Kwame made a similar claim at his trial. I'm curious to know how many potential jurors ignore their summons and don't appear and what the racial percentages of that are.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    It actually could be a legitimate argument if the facts support it. It isn't the first time I have heard that Wayne County juries are not reflective of Detroit's population. When you think of it, the county includes Livonia, Canton, Northville, Wyandotte and many more communities that do not have Detroit's profile. If the defendant is from Detroit, does it then follow that a jury of his peers should include more of Detroit and less of Wayne County? Lots of questions could be asked here.

1-- Do Detroiters get called for jury duty?
    2-- If called, do they attend?
    3-- What is the ratio of jurors in the jury pool, Detroiters:Wayne County Other Than Detroit?
    4-- What is the ratio of jurors selected, Detroiters:Wayne County Other Than Detroit?
    5-- Are Detroiters dismissed at a greater rate?
    6-- What is the ratio of defendants, Detroit:Wayne County Other Than Detroit?
    He's being charged in a federal case. His peers are the entire country.

MichMatters Guest

Sam's a smart [[and desperately hopeless) man. He's throughing everything against the wall to see what sticks. This isn't some truly ideological accusation/complaint; this man is fighting for his public life. He's about as shrewd and cynical public figure you'll find anywhere in the state.

Remember, Sam tried to turn this thing upside down last week or so by claiming he's a fall guy [[which, IMO, is true). He's simply going through his entire bag of tricks.

iheartthed -- He's being charged in a federal case. His peers are the entire country.

That is the point I was addressing.

Very well stated!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    Sam's a smart [[and desperately hopeless) man. He's throughing everything against the wall to see what sticks. This isn't some truly ideological accusation/complaint; this man is fighting for his public life. He's about as shrewd and cynical public figure you'll find anywhere in the state.

Remember, Sam tried to turn this thing upside down last week or so by claiming he's a fall guy [[which, IMO, is true). He's simply going through his entire bag of tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    He's being charged in a federal case. His peers are the entire country.
    Actually, it's a larger area than that -- the jury pool covers Sanilac, St. Clair, Macomb, Oakland, Wayne, Washtenaw, Jackson, Monroe & Lenawee Counties according the the court's web site.

http://www.mied.uscourts.gov/Information/Jurors/djm.gif
    Last edited by catch22; January-11-10 at 09:06 AM.

This is a sinking man grabbing at straws. Let's see where can we find twelve peers [[= sleaze bags) around the Detroit area?
    Shouldn't be hard. Oh yes, I guess the law has a higher standard. The peers can't be felons etc.

The case is being handled by Judge Avern Cohn, the smartest and most experienced judge on the Fed Ct for the Eastern Dist. of MI. He's already ruled that the case will not be delayed for any of the reasons asserted by the defendent. Cohn is rarely if ever overruled, although the actual trial date will be delayed a week upon consent of both parties.

Hmm, so I guess Mon-con can't forget about this ploy when her turn finally comes up!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    This is a sinking man grabbing at straws. Let's see where can we find twelve peers [[= sleaze bags) around the Detroit area?
    Shouldn't be hard. Oh yes, I guess the law has a higher standard. The peers can't be felons etc.