Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Atlas Theatre

Default Atlas Theatre

Does anyone remember attending movies at the Atlas Theatre on Plymouth Road in the 1950s and 1960s?

Lots and lots of my Saturdays were spent at the Atlas Theatre. A whole crowd of us--aging from 8 - 12 years old would walk up there for the Saturday matinee. A couple of movies and cartoons and a box of popcorn could be had for less that 50cents. This would have been from 1958. Went there until we moved from the area in 1969.

9606Prest: I sent you a private message. Would you let me know if you received it? I'm having trouble with it. Thanks in advance!

The place was kind of dumpy.
    We were closer to the Grand River.

Saw the scariest movie I had ever seen in my life "The first man in outer space". Had nightmares for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by szla View Post
    Saw the scariest movie I had ever seen in my life "The first man in outer space". Had nightmares for a while.
    Hey kid, there's a monster in your closet waiting for you to go to sleep.

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1269235993/

I thought of this as my neighborhood theater but was probably geographically a little closer to the Mercury and maybe the Great Lakes. I remember seeing West Side Story at the Atlas and taking a visiting Canadian there for a summer vacation treat . She was frantic to get out the door before the "Godsave." A little discussion helped her understand that we neither smoked in movie theaters nor sang "God Save the Queen" there at the end of the evening. She liked both ideas.

Atlas Theatre, at 15832 Plymouth Road, was designed by Robert J. West and opened in 1939. It was a 950-seat theater.