Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Banner pic of marker- The V nited States of America???

The stone marker or plaque that is shown in the banner with the writing and United spelled with a V.
    Is that intentional or or did a total crack head engrave that stone??

In medieval times, the letters "U" and "V" were used interchangeably.
    [sovrce]

In stone carving, V usually replaces U.

Buy American Guest

Found this answer but I'm still confused, too.

"This lettering ... was the result of developments in the English alphabet. The letter J is a late variant of the Latin I, which gradually differentiated from I in function as well as form until, in the seventeenth century, the distinction between J as a consonant and I as a vowel was fully established. Similarly, the letters V and U are varieties of the same character—the U being simply a cursive form of the letter V, with which it was formerly used interchangeably. U and V were not given separate alphabetical positions until about 1800. The letter W, or double U, sometimes seen as a double V is a survival of this use."

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    The stone marker or plaque that is shown in the banner with the writing and United spelled with a V.
    More something like a Roman rivival. In Roman times the U was written with a V. Our National [[Dutch) anthem Is called the Wilhemus. It is the oldest national antem in the world, dating back to 1574. During international sports events or other offical instances only the first verse is played. However, in reality it consest of no less than 15. The first letter of all verses put together form the complete name of William of Orange. In Dutch that's Willem van Nassau. The last verse begins with the letter V so the current combination would be Willlem van Nassov.

A chart here shows that the Phoenician F begat the Greek Y which begat the Latin V which begat the Latin U [[and W).

Interesting subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Found this answer but I'm still confused, too.

"This lettering ... was the result of developments in the English alphabet. The letter J is a late variant of the Latin I, which gradually differentiated from I in function as well as form until, in the seventeenth century, the distinction between J as a consonant and I as a vowel was fully established. Similarly, the letters V and U are varieties of the same character—the U being simply a cursive form of the letter V, with which it was formerly used interchangeably. U and V were not given separate alphabetical positions until about 1800. The letter W, or double U, sometimes seen as a double V is a survival of this use."
    I can't believe that anyone believes our language was set in stone from day one.

Here's another example from the Lafayette Building:

http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/si...f0c70b109e.jpg

Note the location of the capital J and U in the California Job Case where printers stored their type:

I have been to many cities photographing buildings and a LOT of buildings have a V instead of U. It's not just here.

I can't believe this thread exists.

Just wow.

....wow.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I can't believe this thread exists.

Just wow.

....wow.
    No doubt. He said two totally different ignorant things at the same time.

LodgeDodger Guest

What are they teaching you kids in school these days?

i miss the old days before the Great Depression when the crack used to be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I can't believe that anyone believes our language was set in stone from day one.
    It was carved in stone. Dvh!

You've gotta be kidding me. The "V" is symbology used to connect the United States to the great values, ideas, authority and power of the once mighty superpower known as the Roman Empire. You've never seen the latin spelling of Ivlvs Caesar anywhere?. It wouldn't surprise me if that was on a local government building. Why do you think the Roman Quadriga is on top of the Wayne County Building? Just for art? Why is area of parkland in downtown called Campus Martius? Even names of US cities are connected to Rome. How about Cincinnatti named after the great Roman, Cincinnatus, who showed great leadership and civic virtue by not being corrupted by absolute power when he was voted dictator to put down a revolt and, then, surrendered his position and disbanded his army once order and safety was restored to Rome. What did they teach you in history class?

Aw, lay off him... it's not as though he/she has crossed the Rubicon! So don't get your Fasces in a twist.

Ironically it can be easy to get confused by the U/V exchanging of Roman lettering. Just look at the silver Peace Dollar, in circulation from 1921-35... the obverse of the coin uses the Roman "V" in "IN GOD WE TRVST"... but the reverse of the coin uses the "U". Check out the coin image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Dollar

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Aw, lay off him... it's not as though he/she has crossed the Rubicon! So don't get your Fasces in a twist.

Ironically it can be easy to get confused by the U/V exchanging of Roman lettering. Just look at the silver Peace Dollar, in circulation from 1921-35... the obverse of the coin uses the Roman "V" in "IN GOD WE TRVST"... but the reverse of the coin uses the "U". Check out the coin image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Dollar
    A simple web search would have answered his question. I'm embarrassed for him.

Yes, Please cut One Shot a little slack here, It was a legitimate question if you don't know.
    Look around in the world, enough people struggle with Spelling already, History is a whole different subject!
    Attachment 4760

Attachment 4761

Attachment 4762

Attachment 4763

Attachment 4764

This archaic spelling is also used on the Administration Building for the Grosse Pointe School System on St. Clair:

Attachment 4770
    Last edited by EMG; November-01-10 at 05:00 PM.

Route29 Guest

Thought this was pretty common knowledge.
    Then again, gentle poster is from Shelby Township. I don't think they have many engraved stone buildings with Latin references in Shelby Township.
    Best Bvy?

The European jeweler Bulgari uses the the "V" in place of the "U" in their name in their advertising.

Fvcking absvrd.

Damn I had no idea I was asking th stupid question of the year! Thanks all! I had a feeling it might be something like that. Just still seemed weird to me. Maybe if I seen the rest of of where this islocated my brain would start working again and the crack would dissolve from my system! :P
    Ya and whats does someone from the snobburbs know anyways?
    Last edited by One Shot; January-11-10 at 04:05 PM.

It's understandable. I don't recall seeing V for U until I visited New York.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast