Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

This is encouraging. I think small businesses are the best way to restart an economy: it brings the biggest variety, creativity, and general cost-effectiveness [[if you don't have corporate wads and support, you're efficient as possible). Better, it brings those intangible somethings of pride and community. It's a completely different experience, to shop or eat where the person helping you either owns the place, or works directly for who does. I've seen very few true urban neighborhoods, where people actually know their neighbors and associate with them regularly, but one of the hallmarks of this kind of community is privately-owned businesses where people can congregate and get to know each other. That doesn't tend to happen at Starbuckses like it does in a mom and pop coffee shop, and getting people addicted to your coffee isn't the same as customer loyalty.

Here's hoping for much more where these came from. Seeing dark blocks light up creates hope, and hope is what really rebuilds cities.

ziggyselbin Guest

That is a great story. I especially like the idea that these businesses are community oriented. That is to say they require people to go to the business or direct people to people interaction. One reason I like this and I am sure there are more is how low tech these businesses are in this digital age. Thanks for this piece.