Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grand River & Oakman shops

Does anyone remember shopping in the Grand River & Oakman Blvd. area? I worked at a Father & Son Shoe Store in the mid 1960s. It was across from the Beverly Motown Theatre and near Sears.

Would love to hear stories about this. I grew up just after everything closed. My mom told me she worked at the Winkleman's in the 1970s... what other stores did they have?

My best friend from high school [[Mackenzie) used to work at the Kresge's there. I remember walking there from high school with her. Once in a while, my dad and I would go to the army surplus store that was down there, and also to the movies. I did more of my shopping at the Grand River and Greenfield shopping strip.

^ Thanks, but neither thread was specific to the Grand River/Oakman neighborhood. I'd love to see photographs from earlier eras or even a list of the shops there.

I used to go there all the time, The Beverly Theater, Barrys War Surplus, Sears, Federals, Cunninghams Drugs, Shifrin Willens Jewelers, Robert Halls mens store, Mickey Shore's in car Stereo Shop [[ The Little Yellow Shack by the Railroad track). My older sister worked at the Michigan Bell building on the corner of Plymouth & Northlawn

Beverly Theater

I used to go there with my aunt to shop they lived on Cherrylawn always loved it and had a great time.

Hey daddeeo, Thanks for the photos. My first eight years were spent on Greenlawn, north of Fullerton. The Beverly Theater was my cultural apex where I saw the latest war [[when we always won), science fiction and monster movies for 25 cents. I loved that place. Went to Noble Elementary until we moved to northwest Detroit in the summer 1960.

I recall shopping in that area often with parents [[along with going to Greenfield and Grandriver too), then sneaking and up to area on bikes as a teen. By then [[mid-seventies) it was getting rough and stores were closing... and the area getting bad. Then there was the mall explosion - especially Northland and later Fairlane... the end [[for Grandriver stores).
    Quote Originally Posted by 9606 Prest View Post
    Does anyone remember shopping in the Grand River & Oakman Blvd. area? I worked at a Father & Son Shoe Store in the mid 1960s. It was across from the Beverly Motown Theatre and near Sears.

This may be overload on the Grand River & Oakman Area but here goes:
    This is what I remember; I lived in that area from 1946 to 1958
    I could be mistaken as I’m old and during those years businesses changed
    NE corner of Grand River & Oakman, Tie Rack, and The name may not be right. They sold ties for one dollar.
    Going east. A jewelry store, don’t remember the name
    Going east Kresges , going in the first door on the left was a standup soda fountain, then a small record section where we listened to new records, walking north down that first aisle two counter was a toy counter on the right Across from that counter was a baby section and a door to cross Oakman.
    On the extreme east side of Kresges was a large sit-down fountain, walking north from there was a photo booth where a girl would take our picture and we would get a strip of four. They were the same type as those now self serve ones . Continuing North was an exit to walk to Sears, passing that Shoe repair shop. Mostly we got our shoes repaired with new heels, soles or half soles as they were cheaper or taps on our heels to click and sound “cool” when we walked. Across from the shoe repair shop was an entrance to sears. There was a penny weighing machine and a machine that gave out 4 x 6 pictures of movie stars. I can’t remember the cost. . In the basement was the sporting goods department where I remember that they advertised that George Kell was going to show up. There was a tunnel at the east side of the building going under the railroad tracks to the second parking lot. There was a small concession stand at the other end of the building Note there was no tunnel during those years from Sears to Federals. I don’t know after 1958 as I moved.
    At the north end of the second parking lot was a large building that made cement products [[steps, blocks, etc) the building was a glass house construction, like a flower house.
    OK now walking on Grand River from Sears were some stores but I don’t remember what they were as they were women’s stores until just about one of the last stores before the railroad tracks was a men’s store called either Simms, Sims or Syms
    Then came the tracks and A White Tower hamburger place. This was followed by either Anchors or Harrys War surplus, crossing the side street, a gas station and then the big Barrys War Surplus. Barrys expanded and Anchors and Harrys disappeared. After Barrys, there were a couple of stores and then either Anchors or Harrys. I think Anchors was next to White Tower but it may have been Harrys. Bottom line, all three of them were there. The story was that if you got caught stealing at Barrys rather then call the police the young help would just take you out in the back and beat the crap out of you. Don’t know if it was true or not but nobody wanted to find out.
    Across the Grand River was the Beverly Theater where, when I went there was $.12 on Saturday and $.20 on Sunday.
    Note if you were a regular you sat on either the right side or the left side, sort of that was your Turf. We sat on the right side. They had a punch card in which they would punch it every time you went and, I think, every 6th time you got in free.
    Going west were un-remembered stores and then Federals, then Woolworths [[dime store like Kresges) Meyers jewelry store was on the SE corner of Grand River & Oakman
    [[Afterthought on the east side of Oakman just north of the ally from Kresges was a Victor’s store that just carried paint. This was when latex paint first came in.. Across from them and down a little ways was Robert Halls [[Men’s suits.) then at Oakman and Elmhurst was Kroger’s. They probably changed names many times but it was Kroger’s during my time.
    On Grand River [[north side and west of Cloverlawn was a bunch of stores but the only ones I remember was Western Auto, an appliance store and Northlawn Grill. When TV first came in we used to sit on the side walk and ask the appliance store to put the Lone Ranger on.
    That’s about it, most of the kids went to Noble school, then Tappan, followed by Mackenzie. Their church was St Bridget’s
    Last edited by FEO; March-13-11 at 03:24 PM.

I was a kid just as it was starting to decline just a bit [[late 60's - mid 70s). I recall my mom and I going on the buss. It was the next best thing to going to mall which at the time there was only Westland and Northland brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Would love to hear stories about this. I grew up just after everything closed. My mom told me she worked at the Winkleman's in the 1970s... what other stores did they have?
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-13-11 at 04:36 PM.

Hey, FEO. Wow you bring back alot of memories. I'd forgotten about Barry's. The nearest surplus store like that now is on Greenfield in Dearborn [[what's the name?). That jewelry store was cool too.

The Sears shoe repair shop was actually a small version of a Sears kit house built for display purposes. After Sears exited the kit house business it was converted. I worked at the Sear's in the credit central on the third floor [[added for office use) from 1968 until the acounts were split and half went to Troy/Oakland Mall and the remainder stayed at store 1080--Detroit. Grew up on Tuxedo between Monica and American and went to St. Cecilia's.

Name:  Grand River & Oakman.jpg
Views: 9290
Size:  46.5 KB
    Grand River & Oakman

Yep we shopped both at GR/Oakman and GR/Greenfield. Going to Barry's Surplus was a great time. I think Dad bought tires at a joint near Barry's. Tires meant war!

Probably my first job was selling 'emergency press' papers in 1964 on the street in front of Sears for a couple weeks. I was so screwed by the guy who put us out there. Somehow I lost money on the deal.

A ways west, Jerry's Bike Shop was a huge favorite. It was near GR and Wyoming, I think.

highjinx Guest

Saw Hard Days Night at this theater; though I frequent Tower on Meyer & Grand River most often.
    The fond memories of this are when it was all about the hustle & bustle.

highjinx Guest

Berry's was a young boys paradise adventure; those that worked there would just let this young man roam around for hours looking at all the neat stuff and wonder what is was.
    The tanks and half track that sat across the street; use to play on them and sit in them until someone was found dead in one of the tanks and they welded the hatches shut.
    The berry's storage yard with all the trailers of war surplus tools and gadgets also would wonder all around that place.
    I recall seeing a trailer that the door was open and small boxes had been failing out of it, I took a look what was in the small boxes, it was socket sets; a trailer full of socket sets..
    I wonder what happen to all the stuff from both Berry's building and lot, the tanks and the rest of the stuff when it closed down; just a neat place for a young boy to let his imagination run wild.

We lived in the Joy/Greenfield area, and my parents only went to Grand River/Oakman to shop at Sears. Grand River/Greenfield and Northland were the shopping districts of preference. Among many items purchased, I can recall a two-piece Silvertone stereo, all my dad's green work uniforms, and a "starving artists" oil painting which still hangs in my 93-year-old mother's front room. What really stirs up memories is the candy and nut counter, which was strictly off-limits. The aroma of the warm nuts hit me as soon as I entered the store. Sears closed somewhere between '71-'73, and we then did our Sears' shopping at the Lincoln Park store, until Fairlane opened in '75. Still miss that grand ol' store.

I went to Noble 1961 thru 1966 then, the new Curtis Elementary an ending up at St. Brigid till 1970.

Goodness I now recall that... showing my age I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The Sears shoe repair shop was actually a small version of a Sears kit house built for display purposes. After Sears exited the kit house business it was converted.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hey, FEO. Wow you bring back alot of memories. I'd forgotten about Barry's. The nearest surplus store like that now is on Greenfield in Dearborn [[what's the name?). That jewelry store was cool too.

Harry's Army Surplus
    2050 N. Telegraph Rd. [[ Just south of Ford Rd.)
    Dearborn
    Phone 565-6605
    Store Hours M-F 9-8:30, Sat.10-8, Sun.11-5
    Closed Christmas Day
    New Year's Eve 9-5

Wow! Thanks for the memories! I grew up on Ohio between Grand River and Plymouth. 1958-1976. The big, beautiful house I grew up in is long gone. Loved going to the Beverly Theater. I also remember going to Federals record dept. With my older sister and her friends to get the latest top 30 hits sheet sponsored by WKNR Keener13!

Grew up near Grand River & Meyers - Federals, Sears, Dewey's Lumberville Hardware, Cunningham's, NBD, A&P, Tower & Beverly Theater, etc. to name a few -- neighborhood was never the same after the '67 riot, ALL ethnic groups seeking safety left quickly, very quickly.....
    Last edited by Smirnoff; August-03-13 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast