Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Travel Channel show: "Permission to Trespass"

Got the following e-mail today through the Web site. This smells like trouble brewing. I can't imagine many building owners giving them the OK or access, but if the show airs, it'll make our fair city look even worse and could push for more demolition:

I hope they change the title, and I would not volunteer that information either, it definitely would give the viewer the idea that it's okay to break into buildings, and definitely would not make the city look good in any light. I hope you feel the same too

My 2 cents.

We could send them to east town and give the nice gentlemen that greeted that one photographer awhile back a heads up...

[[Real talk: ) how much are they offering you? Is this another one of those "great exposure" opportunities?

Being an almost weekly urban explorer I am really excited for this. But I didn't see anything else on the internet about this show.

Isn't this topic kind of played out in Detroit already?

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Got the following e-mail today through the Web site. This smells like trouble brewing. I can't imagine many building owners giving them the OK or access, but if the show airs, it'll make our fair city look even worse and could push for more demolition:

Give them some "safe" buildings, buildings that you think would not be destroyed in the coming years. I am curious about the UA, like many others. And be sure to take some buffs from here an the trips, like Ray or Gary. Sure, it could push for a demolition but in the present situation... nothing happens. Buildings continue to fade while people are standing by. The telling example was of course the William Livingstone mansion [[a.k.a. old slumpy.) A visit to a building in danger could also be a catalist to renovation. The coin flips both ways, I think.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-08-10 at 08:40 PM.

Rideron Guest

Anyone who would assist this cretin would prostitute his own sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    .....Buildings continue to fade while people are standing by. The telling example was of course the William Livingstone mansion [[a.k.a. old slumpy.) A visit to a building in danger could also be a catalist to renovation. The coin flips both ways, I think.
    Trespassers can do a lot of damage to potentially redeemable treasures: Look at this: William Livingstone Mansion

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitzack View Post
    being an almost weekly urban explorer.
    euwwwwwwww!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Trespassers can do a lot of damage to potentially redeemable treasures: Look at this: William Livingstone Mansion
    While that guy was an idiot [[if the video is even real and not a hoax, which I think it may be, the Livingston mansion ultimately moved collapsed because it had been moved locations and it was not moved properly. It had nothing to do with urban explorers.

Does someone want to take me urban exploring?

Way to make a rather depressing video totally hilarious!

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    Does someone want to take me urban exploring?
    Judging from his emphasis on self-importance, DetroitZack probably will.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Judging from his emphasis on self-importance, DetroitZack probably will.
    Urban exploring is not the problem. It's urban "reclaiming" that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Urban exploring is not the problem. It's urban "reclaiming" that is the problem.
    Tell me what you mean by that. I'd like to know.

BTW: Pretty clever CGI work; talented movie makers, here. I thought it was real; I could see the guy run toward the back and thru the bedroom doorway.

It would be stupid for a property owner to allow someone to film their building. The second it airs on Television, the city inspectors will be out writing tickets

Tell me what you mean by that. I'd like to know.
    Trespassers coming on to a property to take some pictures are better than coming in to rip all the plumbing out.

Yes, I know it's illegal, and someone can get hurt, but I'd rather see the former than the latter.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    euwwwwwwww!!!!!
    +1

. . . .