Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hygrade Deli?

Default Hygrade Deli?

Has anyone ever been to Hygrade? Is the corned beef good? I've been to Mikes next door hundreds of times but never to Hygrades. Thanks for any info.

Absolutely. The Corn Beef is [[IMHO) top notch and how it's suppose to be. Jewish deli style. Boiled and then shaved thin against the grain. The only other place that I know of Dowtown that has good corn beef like that is Russel Street Deli. [[RSD has great pastrami too)

I am always on the look out for a full service, Jewish style deli like the one I worked at as kid - Ember's Deli.

Too bad, both places have somewhat limited hours though. I don't believe they are open for dinner.

Stick with the meat-and-potatoes classics and you can't lose.

The fellows at Hygrade are old school deli guys, and their staff is friendly and attentive. Everyone who lunches there goes back, from what I gather.

After trying them a few times for breakfast when I was living at the BoHouse, I ended up going more than a mile further to Duly's and becoming a regular there. Also, at Jordi's Cafe con Leche at Vernor and Scotten because I guess I'm a coffee snob. [[Hygrade's coffee is worse than Duly's)

I have no doubt that their lunches are better, but at the time I was supervising Eph's and had no desire to try any more of anyone's Corned Beef.

They used the same supplier that we did for pastrami, which is actually about three blocks away! That supplier has produced the best pastrami around for a very long time, same place that supplies that high-end joint in A2 that everyone raves about. [[and probably every Jewish deli within a hundred miles!)

As for their corned beef, now that I've finally reacquired a taste for it, I'll give them a try. I have no doubt that their reputation is deserved.

Cheers

Try Mudgies for their corned beef too.

been to Hygrade? Is the corned beef good? I've been to Mikes next door
    I have not been to either and I cannot tell where they are located.
    Hygrade has a plant on the west side is it still there??

thanks

Slick,

West on Michigan from Corktown, just before the Boulevard on the north side of the street.

They are not affiliated with the Hygrade hotdog company, as far as I know.

Not a manufacturer, just a couple of old-school lunch joints.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; January-08-10 at 02:38 PM. Reason: hyphen for clarity, not moldy school lunch resellers...old-school joints that serve lunch!

Just had lunch there. A very very good corned beef sandwich. And the pickles are awesome, I asked what kind they were and they use Topors from Detroit.

Topors plant is real close to Hygrades

Gannon, thanks,

West on Michigan from Corktown, just before the Boulevard on the north side of the street.
    Oh that Mike's, best ham sandwich around along with the bean soup.
    Used to eat there a lot when I was in the City.

Nothin' to it, Slick!

These both deserve to be on our short list of joints we'd never take a first date to that sustain us despite their decided lack of atmosphere. Duly's and Golden Fleece make that list, too. Zeff's in Eastern Market, too. Along with Mike's and Hygrade, I don't think the bunch of them added together have spent even $100 bucks on decorations and structural improvements in the years I've been going there!

Have we done an old-school restaurant survey lately? The upscale places like Russel Street Deli and Mudgie's get another category...I think...at least because of their food sources.

Cheers, this one bears investigating by the D'Yes community for 2010!

Comfort Food Joints...don't have to spend on atmosphere and fancy menus and the like. They merely have to do it the same the next time, and they usually do!

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Topors plant is real close to Hygrades
    Topor's plant is very near the Eastern Market. Unless they moved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Nothin' to it, Slick!

These both deserve to be on our short list of joints we'd never take a first date to that sustain us despite their decided lack of atmosphere. Duly's and Golden Fleece make that list, too. Zeff's in Eastern Market, too. Along with Mike's and Hygrade, I don't think the bunch of them added together have spent even $100 bucks on decorations and structural improvements in the years I've been going there!

Have we done an old-school restaurant survey lately? The upscale places like Russel Street Deli and Mudgie's get another category...I think...at least because of their food sources.

Duly's put up a steel storm door a while back, labor and materials were probably over 100.00. Now if they could do something about that bathroom............

At least one of their production facilities is just south of Michigan and east of Jefferies. I used to go there often...great guy, and he may have one of my favorite musician-friends still working for him.

Matter of fact, I'll be seeing that guy in a recording studio here in a few moments...

LOL, you are right about the door at Duly's...heh. Like any 24-hour joint though, why do they need locks?!

My Dad tells a story about when was having lunch at Hygrades one day and the door was propped open. In walked a dog and $h!t on the floor. The cook used the spatula to scrape it back up and went back to work flipping things on the grill. I dunno if its true, but I never stopped there! Maybe my dad owes the guy money?

Best reuben east of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Duly's put up a steel storm door a while back, labor and materials were probably over 100.00. Now if they could do something about that bathroom............
    If only they hadn't changed the sign I might be able to deal with their crappy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Nothin' to it, Slick!

Maybe you need to find first dates that want to go out for breakfast! I took my then future wife to breakfast at Hygrade and Stewart gave us his blessing... and a great pastrami and eggs!

I've been going to the Hygrade since the 1970s,hi Bernie and Stu!Ask for a pastrami meal on onoin,you won't find a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    If only they hadn't changed the sign I might be able to deal with their crappy food.
    Huh? I think Duly's has really good food. It's noting fancy, just good diner / Coney Island food. Where else can you order an omelet and it arrives with a lettuce salad on the same plate?

I love Hygrade Deli. I used to eat there all the time and then I moved to another neighborhood. When I came back a couple of years later they still remembered me and asked how I was doing. The food is great, too!

Mikes ham is also delicious. I really like their pea soup.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Huh? I think Duly's has really good food. It's noting fancy, just good diner / Coney Island food. Where else can you order an omelet and it arrives with a lettuce salad on the same plate?
    Gest Omelets, Plymouth & Beech Daly, with an orange slice, to boot.

I reassessed the atmosphere at Hygrade this morning. Same as always, just as I like it. Sure beats any of the hundreds of coney joints that litter this city. It's a real old school Detroit gem lacking any of the pseudo-urban hipster attitude found in a lot of the newer downtown establishments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast