Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lights out in downtown now?

I went to the bank machine in downtown Windsor at 8pm and looked across the river and it looked like all the high rises in Detroit vanished. I guess the downtown office market has hit an all time low now. The only thing I saw lit was the GM logo on the RenCentre and some street level traffic lights. It wasn't too long ago that that beautiful downtown skyline was lit up like a christmas tree at night.

It was incredibly foggy downtown all day. At one point I could barely see the sky scrapers a few blocks from my office.

Isn't it still snowing pretty hard out that way?

DetroitDad Guest

The lights are on. There is a snow storm going on in Downtown Detroit right now. From my Downtown high rise window, I can't see more than a quarter mile, and that is after a slight improvement.

In the fog or snow, with low visibility like this, it is kind of weird. Outside my windows the bright city lights have turned the fog a glowing orange. When the visibility is zero, I can't even see the buildings across the street, the ground below, or any separation of Earth and sky, all I see is the orange glow.

Retroit Guest

So that's what Detroit would look like if the DEGC had its way.

MichMatters Guest

I was just about to say that it most likely has to do with the weather, but daveinwindsor never misses a point [[regardless of how bad it was, and in this case it was terrible because this is so easy to explain) to badmouth the city. Snow and fog obscuring the skyline? What a perfect front to pretend that downtown must have completely emptied out and all the lights were turned out within a few hours! How ridiculous is this? lol

Quote Originally Posted by MichMatters View Post
    I was just about to say that it most likely has to do with the weather, but daveinwindsor never misses a point [[regardless of how bad it was, and in this case it was terrible because this is so easy to explain) to badmouth the city. Snow and fog obscuring the skyline? What a perfect front to pretend that downtown must have completely emptied out and all the lights were turned out within a few hours! How ridiculous is this? lol
    Well, I hope you're right. But, it wasn't snowing at 8pm across the river. The buildings were pretty clear as I saw the GM logo lighted and the traffic lights and street lights on. The window lights were out on the highrises.

I can guarantee you that the snowstorm was still over Downtown Detroit at 8 pm.... I was walking through it on my way to a friend's house.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Well, I hope you're right. But, it wasn't snowing at 8pm across the river. The buildings were pretty clear as I saw the GM logo lighted and the traffic lights and street lights on. The window lights were out on the highrises.
    I also think that a lot of businesses are thinking more "green" when it comes to energy consumption and are making sure office lights are turned off after the building clears out. In the past, buildings/companies may have been more lax about leaving office lights on during periods of non-use.