Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Boots Gilbert, "Song of the Club [[The Nite Club Song"

Since there's one old Detroit music thread going, here's another. I've always wondered about this song, which was recorded for the Fortune label and appears on an LP collection of hits on the label from the 1940s and 1950s. The LP includes "Hamtramck Mama" [[the preacher saw her, throwed his bible down) and "Highland Park Girl," among other humorous blues-type numbers. But this song is different--it's the only one by a female artist. It's about a cop, and it's pretty funny. Boots sings, "He carries a great big club, and he twirls it round and round." I wondered if anyone knew anything about its origins--it sounds as though it had a burlesque routine to go with it or something. The Internet yields very little info about it, other than the fact that it exists.

I have that album too.. Somebody should write a book about Fortune Records...
    Sorry, I don't know anything about Boots Gilbert either; I guess she was Detroit's version of Ruth Wallis..

Supposedly Craig Maki, who used to do a rockabilly show on the old WDTR, is writing a book about country music in Detroit.

I have 'club' on mp3. Email me at jondoe 888 g mail , and I will send anyone a copy.

I am one of Betty "Boots" Gilbert - Durden -Hatfield's grandchildren. I have been poking around online in search of old information when i came across this discussion. I would be interested in any recordings of her, my Grandfather Chuck Hatfield and the Treble Aires or anyone else. The family actually has very few recordings and only a couple of the ole 45s they recorded.

I have always been told that she was married to Tommy Durden [[briefly 1 1/2 yrs) as they both traveled around with Tex Ritter's group and also earlier with a one Bozo the Clown true story which can be verified in googles online billboard magazines files.. lol.. Chuck Hatfield [[also a steel guitar player) apparently won her away.

OH and "Dirty Kid" was Grandad Chucks name for the eldest grandson not yet married, kinda stuck when he passed in '88 and I didn't marry for another year, but I digress..
    Last edited by VegasDirtyKid1; January-04-13 at 04:33 PM.