Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default C.P.A. Building on Mich Ave

Hi - I am actually a long-time user of this forum on the reading end, but rarely posted... and didn't bother updating my account until now.

Quick question: Does anyone know if the C.P.A. Building on Michigan Avenue across from Slow's is completely vacant? I think it's a beautiful building.

Thanks!

Given that the entire bottom level of the building is covered by steel bars and plywood, I imagine that it is entirely vacant. I have frequently wondered about this building as well. Does anyone have information regarding its history?

A few yrs back some Mormon Missionaries were living upstairs in the back. Don't know if they are there now, but I've seen lights on within the last yr.

The C.P.A building doesn't stand for Certified Public Accountant btw... something to do with train engineers or something. I think Gistok knows more about the place,... or maybe it was Ray1936.

I've been poking on this site long enough to know it's not smart to ask a question without doing at least some basic research on your own

What I found out is that the CPA stands for the Conductors Protective Association or the Conductors Protective Assurance - which makes sense given its location and the detail on the facade. It looks like it was an insurance company for conductors, engineers, etc.

The last piece of information that I saw was someone claiming that there were members of the church of latter-day saints using the upper floors... I know the bottom floor is still boarded up, but that doesn't preclude usage of the upper floors. I hope that someone is still using the building, because that means there is at least a fighting chance that it is still in decent condition inside.

According to this site, the Conductors' Protector Assurance Association was founded in 1907.

However, in the Annual Report of the Commissioner of Insurance for the State of Michigan for 1915 [[published 1916) states,

"The Conductors' Protector Assurance Company of Detroit, Michigan, was organized under Act No. 37 of the Public Acts of 1915, to transact the business of insurance railroad employes [[sic) for the loss of position arising from discharge and retirement, and on this date, reinsured the outstanding risks of the Railroad Conductors Co-operative Protection Association of Detroit, Michigan, which has been doing business in this state for some years."

The building is completely vacant and has been for sale for a long time. The folks at O'Connor Realty next to Slow's have it for sale.

I'd heard [[but have no way to confirm) that the upper floor, or an upper-floor office, apparently was done up in beautiful wood at some point. Always wanted to see that.

Last time I checked the place out, there were homeless people hanging out at the little "overpass" next to the building. I think the building is boarded up.

greater corktown had their offices on the third floor until at least three years ago. at that time, the fifth floor was also occupied. the building has been for sale since long before that. the problem is that the current owner is absentee and asking for an exhorbitant amount to purchase the building. [thus avoiding the blight fines by having the building listed for sale.]

The mormons were still using it within the last year. I saw a couple of guys on bikes wearing ties go in and out of there several times.

The homeless encampment has been there for a long time.

Years ago, there was also a nice coffee shop on the first floor.

According to the realtor's site, the building was built in 1880. The owner is asking for $1.4 million, or $175/sq. foot, which is outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    According to the realtor's site, the building was built in 1880.
    1880? No way does that architecture date from 1880. More like 1920, perhaps.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

CPA building was built around 1925 from what I understand, also based on photographic evidence of MCS it starts showing up around that time as well. Someone needs to fact check on the Realtor's website

Part of the parcel is the building to the west, which is basically a pile of bricks with a billboard on top. That building could easily be from the late 1800's, and would explain the date on the listing.
    The price has not been lowered in years, so the owner is obviously not serious about selling it.

Interesting thread, I too always wondered about this building.

I'm told by someone from our citizen's patrol in Corktown that a guy living in the neighborhood, who is a notorious member of the criminal element, had stripped over $750,000 worth of scrap out of the building and was caught by the police. But the cops were so dumb, they believed the guy when he told them that they were remodeling for the owners, and even told the cops who the owner was. They finished what they were doing and hauled it all away in a dumpster trailer, then bragged about it to some of the neighbors. This all supposedly happened before I moved to Corktown almost 2 years ago.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ezzyzx000/CPA1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ezzyzx000/CPA2.jpg

If you want this it's listed on ebay.: Item #: 230422570550

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I'm told by someone from our citizen's patrol in Corktown that a guy living in the neighborhood, who is a notorious member of the criminal element, had stripped over $750,000 worth of scrap out of the building and was caught by the police. But the cops were so dumb, they believed the guy when he told them that they were remodeling for the owners, and even told the cops who the owner was. They finished what they were doing and hauled it all away in a dumpster trailer, then bragged about it to some of the neighbors. This all supposedly happened before I moved to Corktown almost 2 years ago.
    this is absurd! Are you sure its true?

Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx000 View Post
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Ezzyzx000/CPA1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ezzyzx000/CPA2.jpg

If you want this it's listed on ebay.: Item #: 230422570550
    Apparently this is from 1907, so not quite from the same building, but probably the precursor to the current CPA building

I remember in the 80s someone was building a beautiful loft on the top floor. He was actually living there and planned to have his collector cars on the ground floor. I can't remember who he was. I think he was in business, not entertainment. At the time, the area had just begun to decline pretty significantly. His idea was to bring in more residents on the other floors and promote development in the area. I guess he didn't end up staying long.

I found a Corktown History site now defunct saying that Corktown Development Corporation moved into the CPA Building in 2002, but a picture of the building has "the building is now empty' in the caption.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; January-10-10 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Apparently this is from 1907, so not quite from the same building, but probably the precursor to the current CPA building
    well if you look, it says Dime Bank Bldg. on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    well if you look, it says Dime Bank Bldg. on it.

ha i actually didn't read that, I just saw the headline.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    this is absurd! Are you sure its true?
    That definately is crazy! I can't believe the cops believed him. But there isn't really any way to make sure it is true unless charges were brought against him.

The building is owned by a guy named Raad Kouza out of Belleville, MI. Looks like he is just an individual investor sitting on the property. A $1.4M price tag is simply ridiculous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast