Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: A-OK Toys

Default A-OK Toys

Anyone remember A-OK toys?

They were distributed by the Arkin A-OK Products Co., and were generally found in grocery stores [[Chatham, Great Scott, Wrigleys, A&P) on hanging racks. Marbles, Detective Sets, Jump Ropes, Blow-Loons, Army Men, Play Slate Chalk Boards, Whoopie Cushions, Flying Saucer Guns, Magnetic Travel Bingo and many more. Always cheap, always fun.

Although the company was based in Novi, I vividly recall visiting my grandfather [[he lived on Addison near McGraw until the mid '70s) and seeing the top of a large factory -- with the A-OK logo -- from his front porch. The building had to be off Wyoming, just north of [[behind) the glass plant.

I visited the area recently and discovered that my grandfather's house is gone and tall brick walls and trees on the west side of Addison obscure the view. A quick spin down Wyoming near the Drive-in didn't help much either. There are warehouses there but nothing that I immediately recognized.

Some of the toys are labeled Arkin A-OK Products Co., Novi, Michigan, but there are older toys which indicate that the company was located in Detroit. Can anyone shed any light on this?

There was a fire at the Novi facility on August 28, 1976. The company, however, continued to distribute toys until at least 1991. It may have been even later than that but the most recent item I have encountered is a whoopie cushion from 1991. Beyond that, there is almost no other information available about the company. Hopefully someone here can elaborate.

If anyone is interested I will post a few snaps of some of the older toys.

-- Paul
    Last edited by Laughsmith; January-07-10 at 06:14 PM.

I just remember the toys. You were right they seemed to be on the end cap at least at the Wrigley/Great Scott by where I grew up.Haven't seen them or thought of them in ages.

Paul, I haven't thought if those toys in years, since my kids were little! Taking my kids to grocery store usually meant having to buy something from the check out lanes for them. As I remember, they made pretty good stocking stuffers, once the kids reached a certain age. I'm sure there were many safety issues and probably lead isuues too, that no one gave much thought to back in those days. I would love to see your pictures!

I remember those, and I remember the plastic cars made by Gay Toys of Walled Lake. I recall a funny story of how my mom took offense to one of those Toys in the check out lane at Great Scott, it may have been an A-Ok toy. IT was called 'Indian Massecure'. She wrote a letter to the company because it was Racially Insensitive to Native Americans.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; January-08-10 at 09:18 AM.

I had a vague recollection of those toys. Then the previous post mentioned the other one. I was racking my brain on the Gay Toys name. A neighbor back in the early 70's worked there and would bring my boys [[2-4 yrs old) some of the cars, trucks, boats. Oh the good old days when you didn't have so many worries about Lead and safety.

And nearly every package had a "Toy Bonus Dot Game" on the back:

I can't find any listing for A-OK Toys in any directories from the era, but Arkin Distributing was at 4924 Joy throughout the 1960s, distributors of World Toy House and A-OK toys.

Thanks, Mike! That's a good start...

Great pics Laughsmith. Thanks for posting them.

They tell another story too -- the first signs of out-sourcing. I remember cheap toys from Hong Kong and Japan as a child. Made in Japan was considered inferior and cheap. Oh my how that shoe is on the other foot now. However this is the first I have seen of an American company with production in Asia. In that sense A-OK was far ahead of the time.

Attachment 4799
    Oh yeah, I remember them now, ...they had a crack sales staff.
    Last edited by gnome; November-12-10 at 02:13 PM.

Oh my gosh, I can not belive this is a topic on DY. I used to drive one of their little red trucks and distribute their products to Kroger and Perry drug stores in the late 80s to the early 90s. I believe I quit in 93, so they were still in operation up until then. I do believe they are gone now. Grocery store chains went away from their style of business years ago. We use to sell some wild stuff. Will always remember setting up the toy racks. Thanks for making think of that time again, it was so long ago and I was so much younger. So much has changed for me since then.

Arkin had a large distribution warehouse on Nine Mile, east of Novi Road. It's currently listed as available to lease:

http://signatureassociates.catylist....tingID=1949503

I briefly worked at their Novi location through Kelly Temporary Services about 1992 as a receptionist. Probably only for a day or two. It was a strange company. Not very warm or friendly. I never met the top executive or owner. Usually even a day at a company that size I got the feeling for who the key players were.

They appear to still be in business. State of Michigan lists them still in business. Their 2009 annual report was filed in March. They are still on Nine Mile Road in Novi.

From the MI DELEG website: http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...UCTS%20COMPANY

Searched for: ARKIN A-OK PRODUCTS COMPANY
    ID Num: 008444

Entity Name: AAOP CO.
    Type of Entity:Domestic Profit Corporation
    Resident Agent: IRWIN J. ARKIN
    Registered Office Address: 43100 - 9 MILE RD. NOVI MI 48050
    Mailing Address:
    Formed Under Act Number[[s): 327-1931
    Incorporation/Qualification Date:11-28-1960
    Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
    Number of Shares: 25,000
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 80
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors:

Also from the MI DELEG website

Assumed Names:
    Id Num

Creation Date
    Renew Date
    Expiration Date

ARKIN ENTERPRISES, INC.

2-19-1998
    10-8-2008
    12-31-2013

A-OK PEN COMPANY

12-4-1984

12-31-1989

SID SALES COMPANY

9-9-1975

12-31-1980

More from the MI DELEG website:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp...TING%20COMPANY

Searched for: ARKIN DISTRIBUTING COMPANY
    ID Num: 009444

Entity Name: ARKIN DISTRIBUTING COMPANY
    Type of Entity: Domestic Profit Corporation Resident Agent: IRWIN J ARKIN
    Registered Office Address: 43100 NINE MILE RD NOVI MI 48375 Mailing Address:
    Formed Under Act Number[[s): 327-1931
    Incorporation/Qualification Date: 7-5-1955
    Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
    Number of Shares: 55,000
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 09
    Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 06