Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Know a Good Detroit Bankruptcy Lawyer?

Like many people in our fair state, I will be filing for Chapter 7 soon. I've been trying to find a good, reasonable bankruptcy lawyer. So far the only two names that have been suggested to me are Walter Metzen in Detroit and Rita Kostopoulos in Warren. Anyone know about these two or have any suggestions?

Unsurprisingly, I am having a hard time coming up with the dough to file. According to Metzen's website, he charges about $1200 for a straightforward Chapter 7 including court costs and that stupid debtor seminar thing. That sounds pretty good to me, considering my cousin just paid about $1600 for hers. Is it possible to get a good lawyer for less than $1200?

Look on Craigs list under services legal there is lots of listings. There is one attorney I saw that says he charges a flat rate of $799 which includes filing fees.

Good luck.

Ravine Guest

All I can say is, if Gazhekwe drops by this thread with a suggestion, that suggestion will be worth, at the least, an investigatory phone call. Gaz seems to possess a little Rolodex with all kinds of valuable names & resources, and her judgment is-- as far as I can tell-- very, very good.
    Good Luck, Bon Chance, alla that.

Chuck_MI Guest

You get what you pay for. Sorry, no better advice.
    Good luck.

Thanks, Ravine, what a sweet commendation! I do have someone in mind, but he might not be the cheapest. I hate to recommend someone who I know is really good if all Rosa really cares about is the cheapest price. My contact is good, and he has compassion to deal within someone's means. The truth is, no one who is going through bankruptcy has a whole lot of cash to spare.

OK, Rosa, check your Private Messages. I sent you the contact info.

I advise you go with one of the various firms that advertise on television. Bankrupcty court and attorneys are like sorority and fraternities. They are a very close knit community and those in the know can make things happen with the judge and the creditors that you will need to get through the process smoothly.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    I advise you go with one of the various firms that advertise on television. Bankrupcty court and attorneys are like sorority and fraternities. They are a very close knit community and those in the know can make things happen with the judge and the creditors that you will need to get through the process smoothly.
    No, no, no. Ask an attorney or a friend of an attorney who that attorney would refer a bankruptcy to. T.V./radio ads do not make for good attorneys. 90% of Bernstein's cases are referred to outside attorneys.