Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default New Vandalism Warning Signs Downtown

There is a road sign below the stop sign at the intersection of Adams and Park Avenue [[Grand Circus Park) going West on Adams. The sign reads; "Vandalism Zone", and has a picture of a spray pain can. Is this supposed to be a warning sign for visitors and residents, or is it similar to a neighborhood watch sign?

While we are on that subject, does Detroit have some sort of neighborhood/citizen watch program for the Central Business District [[CBD)? It seems that the petty crime could really be reduced by strategic planning and participation by all the residents that now reside here.

Here is the sign in question.
    Attachment 4796

Looks like a hipster installation to me....

DetroitDad, you're reading the sign wrong, it's telling people that this IS a vandalism zone, 24/7, as in "spraypainting permitted here". It is a fake sign and probably from the same people who are responsible for the Hygenic Dress League murals on Park Ave & Elizabeth and on Franklin down by the river, and the birds painted on the GAR Building.

Retroit Guest

I hope it gets spray-painted soon. I would love to see these vandals get a taste of their own medicine.

Retroit, do you consider the Hygienic Dress League to be vandals? In every one of their installations they've gotten the permission of the property owner beforehand. Not sure how its "vandalism" if the owner says "ok."

[[and, btw, the piece that is the topic of this thread is not, to my knowledge, work of HDL.)

I love the HDL murals and the birds on the GAR. I think you're right though, on second thought this is not their style. It is impossible to tell for sure but this could be for a film or just a random installation.

Retroit Guest

Stop signs are owned by the citizens [[collectively).

that sign is on there good, they even hammered down the screw.

Isn't spray paining curse words on things an expression of art?

I've wondered what would be said if a minimalist artist whitewashed all the "murals" in the Dequindre Cut...

Ha! Vandal sign has disappeared [[at least if it really was at the stop sign described above). A nice trophy for someone -- or maybe I call b.s. on this sign as I cannot see how you would see a building in the background heading west on Adams at the intersection of Park. Just saying.

That sign is not to the MUTCD standards. Is it reflective?

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    Ha! Vandal sign has disappeared [[at least if it really was at the stop sign described above). A nice trophy for someone -- or maybe I call b.s. on this sign as I cannot see how you would see a building in the background heading west on Adams at the intersection of Park. Just saying.
    and now "The Rest of the Story...." I can't verify that is is still up today, but it was there on Sunday [[SE Corner of Adams and Park). Looking wsw you CAN see the UA, Just saying.
    Attachment 4814

Just sayin' . . . Thanks for the clarification Mr. Palmer. I'll take a walk at lunchtime to see if sign is still in place.
    As an aside: With or without a designated vandal zone sign, is this a vandal hot spot or wistful fun on someone's part? Why this spot? Are there more signs elsewhere?
    Maybe BOB and Harry S. Truman can get to the bottom of this.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Isn't spray paining curse words on things an expression of art?

I've wondered what would be said if a minimalist artist whitewashed all the "murals" in the Dequindre Cut...
    I'd like to see that happen. Just sayin'

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    Just sayin' . . . Thanks for the clarification Mr. Palmer. I'll take a walk at lunchtime to see if sign is still in place.
    As an aside: With or without a designated vandal zone sign, is this a vandal hot spot or wistful fun on someone's part? Why this spot? Are there more signs elsewhere?
    Maybe BOB and Harry S. Truman can get to the bottom of this.
    Yes, vandalism and theft seems high in that area, judging by the amount of glass from broken car windows and regular graffiti, as well as the crime statistics maps out there, depending on time of year. Right now it appears there has been a significant drop in vandalism, probably because of a drop in visitors to the area [[?) and the weather.

I've lived in two different buildings [[possibly a third very soon) in this "neighborhood" over the past 5 + years, and have never seen the crimes first hand, but regularly see or hear about the aftermath. All three buildings overlook the various parts of this area. I've considered aiming a web cam or two out my windows that overlook these areas...

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I've considered aiming a web cam or two out my windows that overlook these areas...
    What an excellent idea! I bet if a lot of people started doing that [[and made it known), crime would decrease.

@sludgedad
    sounds like the start of a very engaging pulp fiction. Please continue the story.

the old curio shop
    Ah. That would be old Charrington's shop, the gateway to room 101.

If this is still up, can someone please go spraypaint it black so whoever thinks they're cute & vandalism of Detroit is cool is trumped? Thanks.

DetroitDad Guest

The sign is gone.

I've actually thought about doing my own similar thing, but for different reasons... I thought about printing up white lettered stickers on a green background with the name HASTINGS on them, then putting them on the CHRYSLER signs along the southbound service drive. Then seeing if it would be noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Khartoum View Post
    Looks like a hipster installation to me....
    How does it justify as being a hipster installation? If you ask me whoever did this has a sharp sense of humor. Clearly this sign is acting as a sense of irony. But please tell me how it justifies as being "hipster oriented." There are more of them around town and around the country and they all have a meaning behind it.

Retroit Guest

And the meaning is......?

Is that supposed to be like the stop carjacking signs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast