Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hungry? You will be after reading Detroitblogger John

His latest takes us inside Dutch Girl Donuts [[W'ward + 7) to meet 3 generations of the Timmer family that has run it in the same spot for 63 years. The talented writer-photographer presents a portrait of a family's values, a city's changes and an enduring tradition.
    The doughnut shop stayed behind, through the population flight, through the crumbling of the neighborhood, even after robberies shook up the staff. . . . "Our customers would have to travel farther if we moved. . . . We’ve never really had that discussion because the doughnut shop’s always been a Detroit thing.”
    Grandma Cecilia, the shop's 88-year-old namesake, recalls moving from Grand Rapids to the State Fair neighborhood D after her husband came home from WW II.
    It was a beautiful neighborhood. All lovely homes. The houses were all well kept.
    Six fine images illustrate the storytelling, five more than in the Metro Times reprint.

Mmmmm. Must.have.doughnuts. Anybody else heading to Dutch Girl?

I love Dutch Girl, I always seem to hit it up when I'm passing by that way. Good coffee too!

Oh sorry, I thought this was the embalming fluid thread.

Great donuts. And right down the street you can get the Butch Hollowell special.

I had to look up "Texas donut" for that other thread and ran across a gigantic 2-pound donut cut from dough with a bucket.

Small-Town Texas Donut Shop Keeps It Real And Really Big

Yikes!

Have always loved Dutch Girl donuts going back to the days when I used to take the Woodward bus through that area every weekday. I was on a bus once where the bus driver stopped in front of the place for a cup of coffee and some donuts on his way up to the State Fairgrounds and proceeded to take orders from each of the 10 passengers on the bus and buy us each a donut. Make mine chocolate frosted please!

Back when they were open 24 hours, and so was I, many a drunk night after hanging out at Bookie's ended with a stop at the Dutch Girl.

Being Dutch it's quite obvious if I visit Detroit in the future sometime that this will be a spot to visit then.

I'm glad they're still open. Haven't been there in 10 years. They had the best crullers. I'll have to drive down there some time.

Speaking of the general area, is the Kow Kow still open, by any chance? I read that they had a fire. Best almond chicken ever.