Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why did you STAY in Detroit?

Since we have a "why did you leave Detroit" thread. Retroit thought up another one for why did you stay?

Any takers?

Detroit is my home.

I would not know where I would move to if I would leave.

Retroit Guest

Thanks GOAT. I was actually trying to be sarcastic, but now that I think of it, I guess I am interested in why people stay and put up with the crime that those who have left say caused them to leave.

I'd rather deal with crime than yuppies.

I thought those that left have made it clear that those of us that live here are just too darn poor to move out.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCherry View Post
    I'd rather deal with crime than yuppies.
    Hey! I resemble that!

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I thought those that left have made it clear that those of us that live here are just too darn poor to move out.
    So, if you could afford to move out, you would?

[[might be a good idea for yet another thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    So, if you could afford to move out, you would?
    I live in Detroit - it is abundantly clear from that statement alone that I am uneducated, impoversihed, living on welfare and more than likely a criminal.

If only I could get more welfare money I could 'move on up.'
    I guess I'll just go find a line for a hand out somewhere since I am a Detroit resident so I am unwilling to work.

Retroit Guest

Sorry, I didn't sense the sarcasm in your first post.

Sorry, I didn't sense the sarcasm in your first post.
    Then in that case accept my apologies for the follow up sarcasm.
    I remain in Detroit for a few reasons:

1. I want to see the city improve and the only way to help is with my vote, dollars and volunteering.
    2. 90% of my friends live in the city - being close to friends is important to me and makes my life enjoyable
    3. There is nowhere in Michigan that I would enjoy enough to lure me out of the ctiy. If Michigan offered better options I would consider leaving but I just don't see any place in this mess of a state jumping out at me.

Retroit Guest

Apology accepted, forgiveness granted.

Do you experience any crime?

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Then in that case accept my apologies for the follow up sarcasm.
    I remain in Detroit for a few reasons:

1. I want to see the city improve and the only way to help is with my vote, dollars and volunteering.
    2. 90% of my friends live in the city - being close to friends is important to me and makes my life enjoyable
    3. There is nowhere in Michigan that I would enjoy enough to lure me out of the ctiy. If Michigan offered better options I would consider leaving but I just don't see any place in this mess of a state jumping out at me.
    My sentiments exactly.

My additional reasons:

It's Michigan's only real big city. None of the suburbs offer anything like urban living; Detroit is as good as it gets.
    Detroit is incredibly laid back, unpretentious, and relatively inexpensive[[except taxes).
    The remaining housing stock is one-of-a-kind. My house turned 105 this year and will probably stand for 105 more if the City is still around. Leaded glass, cove ceilings, oak woodworking, and true craftsmanship. They don't have that in Macomb Township, and they do in Grosse Pointe, but those people creep me out.

I've been told I'm like the abused wife. They stay because leaving sometimes hurts more. Odd analogy, but.....

Truth be told...I love the city...her rich history. The incredible architecture [[what hasn't been demolished). The memories I've made with so many. The memories still to come. Most of all, I think many of us stay because we aren't quitters. We've been rocked by hard times before. We'll be rocked by hard times again. We are, for all intents and purposes, "still standing". We are gritty, but clean up well. We appreciate what we still have. And if starting at square one is what it takes, I'm certain there will be others standing next to me to rebuild from the basics.

Cheapest rent, best friends, more culture than Brooklyn's little pinkie, and a fascinating place in general to spend your time.

Thanks GOAT. I was actually trying to be sarcastic, but now that I think of it, I guess I am interested in why people stay and put up with the crime that those who have left say caused them to leave.
    Based on this statement, you would think that everyone in Detroit wake up everyday seeing rapes, burglaries, homicide, dope dealing, sodomy, money laundering, identify theft, carjacking, bank robberies, riots, etc... Sorry to disappoint you but not everyone witnesses crime and some of us don't life in a warzone.

Ravine Guest

Please, folks. No one stays in Detroit because of the architecture or rich cultural history.

I cannot afford to move.
    My job-- and I'm the only one working-- is here.
    My mother-in-law, to whom my wife is 100% devoted, is here.
    I was born in this area. Moved into the actual city 35 years ago. Have been in this house for 30 years.
    Detroit is where I'm from, basically, and I live here.

But, if I could afford to move, and the wife/mom-in-law thing wasn't involved, I probably would do it, yeah.
    And a lot of it is about the weather. Now that I'm, well, not young, the cold & damp is effecting me in ways that, earlier, it did not. I think I'm taking on me dear sainted mum's arthritis of the hands, and the cold & damp really helps with that, just wonderful, yeah, aching fingers is a terrific feeling.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Truth be told...I love the city...her rich history. The incredible architecture [[what hasn't been demolished). The memories I've made with so many. The memories still to come. Most of all, I think many of us stay because we aren't quitters. We've been rocked by hard times before. We'll be rocked by hard times again. We are, for all intents and purposes, "still standing". We are gritty, but clean up well. We appreciate what we still have. And if starting at square one is what it takes, I'm certain there will be others standing next to me to rebuild from the basics.
    Maybe I should be more blunt.
    This post, above, is a bunch of double-talk. The question, by my interpretation, was not a matter of philosophy or related to college-level humanities courses.
    The question was "why do you stay," not "can you think of a bunch of impersonal, cheerleading bullshit that sounds good."

We're not trying to win a spot on Diddy's team, here. A little honesty about why your ass is still in this city is all that we need. It's that simple.

I'm in Detroit because my car broke down and my pregnant wife and my kids are back in the car waiting for me but I need another $1.10 to get the bus to Pontiac so I can get my tools and a fan belt and come back to fix the car, so can I have $1.10 now, sir, can I please? God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Please, folks. No one stays in Detroit because of the architecture or rich cultural history.

I cannot afford to move.
    My job-- and I'm the only one working-- is here.
    My mother-in-law, to whom my wife is 100% devoted, is here.
    I was born in this area. Moved into the actual city 35 years ago. Have been in this house for 30 years.
    Detroit is where I'm from, basically, and I live here.

But, if I could afford to move, and the wife/mom-in-law thing wasn't involved, I probably would do it, yeah.
    And a lot of it is about the weather. Now that I'm, well, not young, the cold & damp is effecting me in ways that, earlier, it did not. I think I'm taking on me dear sainted mum's arthritis of the hands, and the cold & damp really helps with that, just wonderful, yeah, aching fingers is a terrific feeling.
    I agree with you. I love Detroit because I was born here but if I could leave, I would, to go back to the west coast.

It is not the "crime" that would make me leave again, it's the weather.

By the way, I forgot to mention I'm a vet.

And I've got a nice American flag toothpick I'll give to you if you look like the guilty white liberal type with a few bucks to spare.

I was born here.

I continue to live here because my family owns the house that I'm renting. I hope to own it soon.

I love the history and the motto of this city rising through the ashes like a phoenix. Despite the current bad times, I'm sure that in time things will get better. I enjoy the fact that Detroit is the mecca of electronic music.

I stay because I want my hometown to become better than it is. I decide to leave as many have done, and nothing really changes. As a citizen of Detroit, I have a responsibility to help in any way I can to bring Detroit out of this long depression.

This is the only place that I know, love, and could buy a $3000 house on a block where most of my neighbors owe more than $30000 on theirs. And yes, it was worth every penny. Since this is the only city I have ever lived in I don't mind the poor services and crime rate. My neighborhood is much nicer than the one I grew up in, and I feel quite safe and at home here. I contemplated moving to Georgia or Texas once I finished my masters, but decided to hang around since here I can survive on unemployment income, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast