Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stosh Guest

Default Lt. Gov. Cherry won't run for governor

Now maybe we will get somewhere. Hopefully new blood from either party will turn this ship of state around.

Lt. Gov. Cherry won't run for governor

http://detnews.com/article/20100105/...n-for-governor

It's not like he was going to be able to run on Granholm's record.

I should have known as soon as it appeared Jenny was grooming him that he'd never be able to run. She never finishes anything she starts, short of doing something effective like dying in office.

Thank the lord... we didn't need the second four years of that canadian mole... surely we can't afford four more or her prodigy.

"Lt. Gov. Cherry won't run for governor"

Bottom story of the day.

Then who on earth among the Democrats will run? Or is Mike Cox just going to waltz into office?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Then who on earth among the Democrats will run? Or is Mike Cox just going to waltz into office?
    Pretty much anybody besides Cherry should be able to run and beat Cox. I think that's why they pulled him. They probably have a stronger candidate in mind

Virg Bereno?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Pretty much anybody besides Cherry should be able to run and beat Cox. I think that's why they pulled him. They probably have a stronger candidate in mind
    McNamara-Kilpatrick-Granholm-Cox; same, same, same in terms of priority, though I think Cox will sell a tax platform and beat whomever the dems put up [[except for maybe Dillon?). It's a shame...I'm cool with the state going Republican, just wish there was actually a candidate not of the same family tree as the last Governor, Detroit Mayor, and County Executive.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Virg Bernero comes to mind as a interesting candidate. I saw him on TV sunday [[flashpoint?) and was impressed.

Yeah, and Virg isn't from the old guard mentioned above.

Good news IMO. Granholm has been a terrible disappointment. Usually I vote Democratic but after eight years of Jennifer I will likely switch my vote. I voted for her for the first term and was not able to vote during the last election, but I was not going to vote for her a second time. She has been Michigan's GWB if you ask me.

Cherry was a sure loser.

Who will the Dems run? Maybe they'll take pity on us and sit this one out. Virg Bernero is an interesting guy but we haven't seen a lot yet beyond the initial bombastic mile-a-minute declaratives.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Cherry was a sure loser.

Who will the Dems run? Maybe they'll take pity on us and sit this one out. Virg Bernero is an interesting guy but we haven't seen a lot yet beyond the initial bombastic mile-a-minute declaratives.
    The Dems will probably run Andy Dillion.

We need somebody with a pair of balls to take control in Lansing, somebody like Mr Robert Bobb. Right now, the Democrats and Republicans don't have a sole individual who could do for our state like this man has done for DPS. ROBERT BOBB for GOVERNOR

Virg Bernero reminds me of Kwame Kilpatrick.

almost hilarious... he quits before he even has to set foot in Detroit for campaigning.. kind of goes to show that he had little to no interest in having a rapport with urban michigan.. ah well...

think about it. Cherry asked Charles Pugh advice on how to get elected. What does he have in common with Charles Pugh? Campaigning for a city council seems to me unrelated to campaigning for major offices.

Cherry, like his boss, has never had a clue. Good riddance.

Thank god. I don't plan on voting for Cox and I didn't plan on voting for Cherry. My decision will be at the booth. I like Rick Snyder, but he may be too "progressive" for his GOP friends.

Snyder would be best for the state from an economic standpoint. Then you have Hoekstra gaining steam in the Amway Belt, which scares me.

Route29 Guest

I have never failed to vote Democratic [[except against Carolyn Buttcheeks Kilpatrick- Green) but I will take anyone this time around - anyone but Cox. He, by all appearances, has no soul or conscience. I don't see how he has any credibility at all.

Granholm may not be completely to blame for this state's woes, but come on. Things don't get much worse than this.

I'd love to see Rick Snyder snatch the Republican Nomination -- Hoekstra's definitely not my kind of Republican, Bouchard doesn't have a chance, and Cox just doesn't seem to have the experience necessary to actually lead a state.

MichMatters Guest

It's funny, because as bad as the state Dems are off, this time around, I honestly don't see how the state GOP is any less fractured than it has been for the last decade. As poorly as Granholm performed, this should be in the bag for the state GOP, but I'm less convinced every day we go forward that this is the case. A usual refrain from a lot of not-so-politically minded folks is that "they are all bad." This time, it's actually really very true.

My take on the Dem side is that this is now a race between Dillon and Virg. Many folks don't know Virg, but that's really the worst of his problems, to be honest, and it may actually be a plus in a time when folks aren't looking for names they know. Dillon has the name recognition, but the personality of wallpaper, not to mention that he's been complicit in everything that's happened at the state level in the last few years. Furthermore, Dillon is a conservative who just happens to be a Democrat. In fact, he's more conservative than he lets on publically. That's not going to play well in a Democratic primary. If independent-minded voters wanted a Dem as conservative as him, they'd probably just vote someone like Snyder, who's actually more progressive than Dillon despite running as a Republican.

As far as I see it, you have Virg and Andy on one side, and Cox and Hoekstra on the other with few potential surprise candidates entering the race from this point out.

Any Republican except Cox [[who's Achilles Heel is the Kwame Kilpatrick investigation)... and who's heritage is not DUTCH!!! [[usually west side of state conservatives).

And if it's any of the above... I'd vote for Dillon.

FYI... the major reason Cherry opted out was because his political fundraising was not going as planned...
    Last edited by Gistok; January-06-10 at 02:27 AM.

If my Union had backed him and asked me to put a sign in my yard for him, I'd take the sign. Use it for a drip pan for my leaky vehicles and a trellis for a plant. I saw not a snowballs chance for Vice Gov Cherry getting in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast