Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Youth Radio Project, apply today

Expose Yourself to Art Radio is accepting applications from 9th-11th graders in Southwest Detroit and Hamtramck.

Students must be able to get to our two-hour Saturday workshops at Ladybug Studio, 1250 Hubbard Street, Detroit or PCS, 8625 Joseph Campau Avenue, Hamtramck each Saturday during the program

Applications are available here

Introduction: Expose Yourself to Art Radio is a program where youth can learn how to write for, produce, and present on the radio. Student-produced segments will be in the subject area of Arts and Culture and will air on AM 1610 in Hamtramck, AM 1610 in Southwest Detroit, and on the Internet. This program is possible because of a generous contribution from the Kresge Foundation.

Qualifications: Enrolled students in 9th, 10th, or 11th grade in Detroit or Hamtramck may apply by completing this application and submitting to the person introducing the program or mailing it to the address at the bottom of the application.

Expectations: Not only must participants commit to two hours each Saturday between February and May 2010 for Saturday workshops, they must be able to meet at Ladybug Studio, 1250 Hubbard Street, Detroit or PCS, 8625 Joseph Campau Avenue, Hamtramck each Saturday during the program. Participants will be expected to be on time, ready to work, and prepared to deal with the tasks at hand.

Deadline: The deadline for student applications is Wednesday January 20th. We will review the applications and contact a number of applicants for interviews on Saturday January 23rd. The first workshop will be February 6th.
    Please mail applications to: AM 1610 The Station, 11758 Sobieski, Hamtramck, MI 48212 or scan them and send them to scherry [at] defcode [dot] com.

Questions about the program can be directed to Steven Cherry [[313) 377-7130.

Doc, I owe you a big apology, I gave you a hard time a few months back when you announced your project. I was wrong. Good luck with your dream, it is a very worthwhile project and I salute your diligence in getting it launched.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Doc, I owe you a big apology, I gave you a hard time a few months back when you announced your project. I was wrong. Good luck with your dream, it is a very worthwhile project and I salute your diligence in getting it launched.
    Apology accepted.

Dream is a little heavy, it's more like a project. I've spent the better part of my life ignoring criticism which results in fairly thick skin.

The Kresge Foundation has funded the project, so my chief commitment is to this youth radio program and fufilling my promise to the youth in Southwest and Hamtramck.

If you know anybody who'd be interested, spread the word, my application deadline is January 20th.