Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tv show motorcity motors

On right now [[Monday at 10 pm) on the Discovery Channel. Takes place in a Detroit and the opening says something about a team looking to build autos and inspire a city.

Stosh Guest

It's an ok show but could be set anywhere for what they show. Opening credits show some ruins, but otherwise... meh.

I find it ironic that the opening credits show both guys riding their souped up bike sans motorcycle helmets. Such is show biz.

The guys in the show are the guys who own Detroit Bros. Custom Cycles on Woodward in Ferndale.

http://detroitbros.com/

They were featured a couple of times on Discovery Channel's "Biker Build Off" some years back during the whole Discovery Channel love affair with custom motorcycles. They shoot this new show at a location in Detroit rather than at their actual facilities.

In case you're interested, here's the DVDs of their appearances on BBO. As I remember they were pretty interesting in that they fabricate a lot of their parts out of junk.

http://store.discovery.com/detail.php?p=85482

http://store.discovery.com/detail.php?p=85124

I thought this was going to be along the reality/OC Choppers vein and actually be relevant to the Detroit/SeM area, but it's just monster garage.

How is this any less relevant to the area than OCC is to Orange County, New York? That doesn't make any sense, it's practically the exact same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    How is this any less relevant to the area than OCC is to Orange County, New York? That doesn't make any sense, it's practically the exact same concept.
    I guess I meant more of a reality show about the people involved and the area..etc. In the commercials they hyped it up as a Detroit centric...guys out to change the city and the area...blah blah. I thought it was going to be about their business and making it work here in Detroit or Ferndale...wherever they actually are. What we got was Monster Garage in whch they build ridiculous custom vehicles based on silly "challenges". last night it was a pothole filler. next weeks is going to be a "corn stalker".

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I guess I meant more of a reality show about the people involved and the area..etc. In the commercials they hyped it up as a Detroit centric...guys out to change the city and the area...blah blah. I thought it was going to be about their business and making it work here in Detroit or Ferndale...wherever they actually are. What we got was Monster Garage in whch they build ridiculous custom vehicles based on silly "challenges". last night it was a pothole filler. next weeks is going to be a "corn stalker".
    Ah, I get it. On the other hand, they've already made a business work here in our area, and have gotten their name out pretty well on National TV. I think they do help reinforce that "Detroit tough mechanical wizard" vibe whether it be this show, their past appearances on Biker Build Off, or just how they run their custom chopper company day-to-day. Maybe it will evolve into something a little more interesting if there is any success with it. But I do agree that just another Monster Garage isn't really that enthralling.

PS I miss Monster House, that show was absurd.

I wish they would show a little more about how their motorcycle customizing has done them well over the arbitrary time based challenge tossed out to these guys.

While I'm thankful that they're shooting here in Detroit, I'm not exactly sold on the fact that they put Detroit in a totally positive light; they're constantly talking about trying to inspire Detroit and how their creations are a boon to the city. Granted there's only been a few shows but I'm not exactly sure how many pot holes their pothole filler is going to repair. The premise of the show is kind of an odd indulgence, more of game show and part reality show drama.

I do like the fact that they talk about the Detroit spirit and our area's ingenuity but beyond that I think the show could be shot in any town with creative people like the Detroit Brothers.

The most entertaining part of the show for me was watching them drive over the pothole from hell. I sure hope I never run into that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon48202 View Post
    The most entertaining part of the show for me was watching them drive over the pothole from hell. I sure hope I never run into that thing.
    It left me wondering where it was.

But I'm in agreement because the build of the vehicle seemed pretty slip shod. When the Suburban rolled off [[more like towed off) the lift, it barely looked as though it was going to hold together. The pot hole filler looked pretty shoddy up until they sent it out to be painted- and I'll assume more mechanical changes had to be made at that point.

Yea that thing did't "sling" the asphalt very well the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTROIT View Post
    Yea that thing did't "sling" the asphalt very well the first time.
    It didn't exactly "sling" too well the second time around either.

Also one major difference between this show and the original incarnation of Monster Garage is that these cars don't hardly look stock after the build. This show seems more interested in taking a stock vehicle and strapping on whatever equipment they need in order for them to complete the challenge. If memory serves me correctly, when Jesse James did this show- most of his creations still looked relatively street legal.

Stosh Guest

Related to urban farming I wonder? Bet that won't be a Detroit scene at all.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    It didn't exactly "sling" too well the second time around either.

Also one major difference between this show and the original incarnation of Monster Garage is that these cars don't hardly look stock after the build. This show seems more interested in taking a stock vehicle and strapping on whatever equipment they need in order for them to complete the challenge. If memory serves me correctly, when Jesse James did this show- most of his creations still looked relatively street legal.
    Yes, they were supposed to, though that's just an arbitrary criteria.

This one didn't look too stock, but it was my absolute favorite:

Ever meet somebody from Detroit who takes offense to people from the burbs saying they are from Detroit? This is the same type of complaining. At least it really gets filmed here, unlike Hung.

Does anyone know exactly where this show is filmed? There is a exterior shot of a rather distinctive warehouse in the opening, but i'm unsure of its location.

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    Ever meet somebody from Detroit who takes offense to people from the burbs saying they are from Detroit? This is the same type of complaining. At least it really gets filmed here, unlike Hung.
    So, by "here" you mean "Ferndale"?

p.s. at least with Hung..being from 'here' is somewhat integral to the story. MCM could be anywhere and is likely only here due to the tax credits.
    Last edited by bailey; January-05-10 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xphillipjrx View Post
    I don't have any issues of where it's shot. I just think the premise of the show [[whether it was Jesse James or the current Detroit Bros.) is kind of fluffy. They have a five days to meet a some arbitrary challenge? It's a game show. It's a male soap opera at best.

At least with other build shows like American Chopper, Biker Build Off and some of those others, one can see the people of the company actually go through their creative & fabricating processes to appease a real client or build a bike for an real event. The fruits of that labor is actually delivered and used. What happens to the Monster Garage/ Motor City Motors vehicles after the show is done? Are they even worthy of keeping or even have an after market value?

As long as we go into watching this show knowing it's a glorified game show/ man drama and not take it so seriously I think it's somewhat enjoyable.

So, by "here" you mean "Ferndale"?

p.s. at least with Hung..being from 'here' is somewhat integral to the story. MCM could be anywhere and is likely only here due to the tax credits.
    It's not filmed in Ferndale, their motorcycle business is there. Not that it matters, the us vs. them bullshit too many of you folks preach will be the last nail in the coffin. You think Hung pretending to be here is somehow better or more geniune than these actual successful businessmen from our area filming a show in our area? I'm having a harder and harder time taking your opinion seriously.
    Last edited by Johnlodge; January-05-10 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    It's not filmed in Ferndale, their motorcycle business is there. Not that it matters, the us vs. them bullshit too many of you folks preach will be the last nail in the coffin. You think Hung pretending to be here is somehow better or more geniune than these actual successful businessmen from our area filming a show in our area? I'm having a harder and harder time taking your opinion seriously.
    Regardless of where it's actually shot, the "Detroit" business that lead to the show was and is now, in Ferndale. My point was the same as yours...pointing out the inanity of the comment about detroit vs. suburbs.

With regard to Hung, no, I don't think it's any better than actually filming here [[although it's my understanding they did do quite a bit) . My disappointment with this show is that it could be filmed anywhere. It's not really about "detroit" or anything really about the Detroit Bros...other than they are creative and talented fabricators and mechanics. it could be Cleveland Motors or Pittsburgh Motors....etc. And really there is nothing wrong with that per se. From the hype I thought it was going to be more than monster garage redux.

This show is filmed in a warehouse near Mexicantown

Jesse James' version was better hands down! Same producer I believe as well. Same prizes. I know these guys are local but I do not think they are going to be nearly as succesful as Jesse James was [[not to be pessamistic). It is filmed in Detroit and the contestants are local. Other than that this show will not help nor hurt Detroit. They are not building their bikes on the show and most people that follow custom bike building would already know about these guys already.

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    Does anyone know exactly where this show is filmed? There is a exterior shot of a rather distinctive warehouse in the opening, but i'm unsure of its location.
    The warehouse is the old Wolverine [[?) warehouse on Pershing Street at Evans Street in Southwest Detroit. Right across from what used to be Woodrow Wilson Middle School, now Phoenix Academy.

That is right around the corner from my old sometimes stomping grounds. Have to take a ride.