Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    littlebuddy Guest

Default Anyone ever eat at Luigis in Harrison Twp

over by Lake St. Clair? What did you think of the food? Going to try to stop in there soon and wondered if anyone else had eaten there.

Excellent! Get the lamb chops or pizza! They have a location in downtown Mt.Clemens too.

I have and the first time it was great and the second time it wasn't. The first time the chicken parmesan was good. Like most restaurants, theyve been there a while so they must be doing something right.

Just went there last weekend....Jefferson just N of Shook Rd [[15 Mi- about 1/2 m ile North)
    Award winning Gourmet Veggie Pizza...All their pizza is great. Not greasy, sweet tomato sauce.
    Best Lamb Chops around.

Place opened at 4pm. If you get there later, you will probably have to wait in line. Very small, old place. Have not been to the Mt Clemons location.

Try it, you will not be disappointed!!!

I have eaten there more times than I can count....everything on the menu is Great!!! If you don't see it on the menu ask, sometimes they will make you something that is not on the menu like veal siciliano. There is a total of 20 tables 13 in the restaurant proper and 7 in a back room. Additionally they have outside seating in the summer. Mt.Clemens location has a little different feel to it and slightly different menu, but everything there is great as well.
    Not sure why this is on a Detroit discussion, but what the heck.

all the time. the one on jefferson, in my opinion, is better than the one in downtown mt clemens. yes, it is small and you may have to wait but it will be worth it. and i agree with jba, great pizza and lamb chops... hubby gets 'em everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Not sure why this is on a Detroit discussion, but what the heck.

Because Detroit doesnt stop at 8 Mile just because politicians tell you so.

Luigis has great food, reasonable prices... the seating is unbelievably crowded, so if that bothers you, don't go. But the atmosphere is certainly unique enough to try once.

Like jba said, award winning pizza.
    Placed #13 on GQ's 2009 'Top 25 American Pies':

[[HARRISON TOWSHIP, MICH.)
    13. Luigi’s “the Original”
    Gourmet veggie pizza
    My nearly endless and seemingly futile quest to find a wonderful vegetable—not merely vegetarian—pizza somehow led me to Luigi’s, which looks like a roadhouse but is apparently a greenhouse. Topping a pie with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, and onions, as is done here, seems to promise a chaotic chorus of sad, shriveled, sacrificial plant life, and that isn’t the end of the potential problems. The crust contained sesame seeds, and the grated cheese was Asiago. The combination succeeded magnificently. The seeds contributed nuttiness and the cheese pungency to an array of vegetables that tasted remarkably fresh, to say nothing of cooked to order. The secret, according to the waitress: Toss everything on the pie, cook. That’s it.
    http://www.gq.com/food-travel/alan-r...?currentPage=6

I'm getting hungry, we must go to Luigis tonite!

littlebuddy Guest

Thanks, I want to go right now, but it will have to wait a few days.

Littlebuddy-if you like Luigis, then you will have to try La Dolce Vida , they have excellent food too

Default another recommendation

I like Luigi's - very homey atmosphere and food. But I would like to put in a plug for someplace closer to Detroit on the east side - Ferlito's on Mack, near Vernier. It's very family oriented, and the pasta is great; especially the lasagna.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Yes it does my friend, yes it does!! Thank God!!!

mmmmmmmm......gnocchis with palomino sauce and mushrooms.....so good. I have only been to the one in Mt. Clemens, and it is very good! They have some odd soups that are very good too, something like cheeseburger and pickle soup, but only on certain days [[I think this is the place that had it). Even the bread basket and crackers they bring to your table are really good.
    Last edited by One4Detroit; January-04-10 at 10:51 PM.

best ribs anywhere !

The only Luigi's I remember was downtown. A little hole in the wall lunch place I used to walk to when I worked at Himelhoch's. I can't remember the exact corner and it doesn't look like it's till there from what I can see.

Luigis prime rib is one of the best I've had. The regular cut is at least 24oz. The "grandma" cut is not much smaller 18oz.YUM. Have never in 15 years had a bad meal. It will be even better once the No Smoking ban goes into effect. Ditto pros recommendation of Ferlitos on Mack or The Villa on Gratiot near 8 mile in Eastpointe.

I agree with Tarkus about Villa but haven't been there in years. One of the relatives of Villa also owns the River Rat on South River Road. I haven't been there yet but have heard from friend it's equally as good. If your a prime rib lover, their promoting "prime rib sundays" with all the fixins' for $21.99.

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post

Luigis has great food, reasonable prices... the seating is unbelievably crowded, so if that bothers you, don't go. But the atmosphere is certainly unique enough to try once.
    That is correct!

It also ends at Five Points, Kelly Road, Kingsville, and just past Alter, and some other places too.

So Harrison Township now qualifies under the feel-good definition of Detroit? Too bad Detroit can't tax all these fake Detroiters; the City would have the all the money it needs.

Is Macomb Township "Detroit"? What about Monroe? Port Huron? Ann Arbor? Flint? London, Ontario? Toledo?

I hear Luigi's is good, but is anyone familiar with Giovanni's on Oakwood in actual Detroit? I've been meaning to take the lady there for a while.

Route-Gios is excellent. Fran the owner is a sweet lady

I used to eat at the Luigi's downtown, loved their pizza. Wonder if it is the same family. Can't remember exactly when they left downtown, but I would guess about the same time
    everyone else did.

It has been years. Awesome pizza! Do they still have all the bottles strung along the walls?

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    I used to eat at the Luigi's downtown, loved their pizza. Wonder if it is the same family. Can't remember exactly when they left downtown, but I would guess about the same time
    everyone else did.
    They are a father and son team. The son runs the one in Harrison Township and his dad runs the one in Mt. Clemens

Maof.....That's 12.95 for prime rib on Sundays.

littlebuddy Guest

Took the drive across the state and went to Luigis yesterday. Had a pizza and the wife had the Lasagna. Both were excellent! Thanks for the good reviews. I did not grow up on that side of Detroit and so was a little twisted around trying to find the place. Ended up driving up and down both sides of the Clinton River till I found Jefferson. Man, lots and lots of big,big boats all around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast