Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WiFi Initiative for Motown

Posted: Jan. 4, 2010
    Internet effort aims to get more Detroiters connected

BY GINA DAMRON and NAOMI R. PATTON
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Access to high-speed Internet means access to education, access to job opportunities, access to the world.

And by the end of this year, thousands of low-income Detroit residents could gain access to those things through an initiative to connect targeted areas with wireless broadband Internet service.

The Detroit Connected Community Initiative project -- mainly funded by an $800,000 grant awarded from the Knight Foundation in November -- is expected to develop a broadband infrastructure in three areas within Detroit's Midtown-Northend and Osborn-Northeast areas.

Patrick Gossman, executive director of the Community Telecommunications Network and Wayne State University's deputy chief information officer, said the number of Detroiters with access to broadband or wireless Internet in most areas of the city is less than 40%. Some residents have computers, he said, but only slow dial-up Internet service.

"Not being connected in the digital age, really, is a huge disadvantage," Gossman said Sunday.

"If we can't get Detroit connected, I think we're going to have a much harder time getting Detroit out of its economic slump. If we can't up education, up job training, we're not going to break that cycle."

To help provide the Web access in neighborhoods, CTN is partnering with 4C's Family Place, Focus: HOPE and Matrix Human Services.

Gossman said the initial effort could provide wireless access to more than 4,000 residents, including an existing network around 4C's Family Place that now serves about 80 residents. The goal, he said, is also to have computer labs for training on how to use the Web.

The service will be free, at least initially. CTN is also adding $100,000 to the initiative and working to get federal grants to help get computers for residents.

Anthony Semanik, project manager for government and public affairs for Focus: HOPE, said Internet access is crucial.

"Internet access should be in a category with public telephone," Semanik said. "It should be part of the infrastructure."
    http://freep.com/article/20100104/NE...ters-connected

The italicized part is interesting.

LodgeDodger Guest

Good luck with that. It didn't work in Oakland County.

I hear that LD, they gave the wireless Oakland contract to the lowest bidder. How can four guys build an infrastructure like that ? Failure from the start.

It's gone aground in Washtenaw, too. With the cell networks now increasingly providing Internet, this is a nonstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I'm still waiting for my "Free" internet out here in Oakland County boonies!

I hope for Detroit's sake that they can actually make it work! I do question the "Free initially" part of the article? Hopefully this is not just another deal where the grant money ends up funding a for profit business. Or worse yet, lining the pockets of the those who never manage to get the project off the ground.

For info, just check the history of Bignet in Pontiac. Even Microsoft couldn't right the ship.

Stosh Guest

I have to wonder just what happened to the Wi-Max initiative? That was supposed to eliminate the need for all the wi-fi networks and broadcast from a central location.

We are so far behind other countries when it comes to internet access. Yeah, everybody can have access for a $120 a month bundle. But we happen to be in a major recession right now. Some people will buy medicine over the internet. For more info go to www.medicinenotinternet.com My computer will be spending alot of time at McDonalds in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    ] My computer will be spending alot of time at McDonalds in the future.
    Beware- so many places have "Wi-Fi Available" signs,
    key word "free" is not there.
    Many McDonalds, like Starbucks, charge for internet access or only allow access to paid members of wi-fi networks.

Wait a minute!!

Is High Speed internet NOT available in Detroit??

No, we only have a kerosen powered amish 1.0 version of dial up.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Oakland tried to implement county wide. This project is focusing on subsections of the city.

It had no chance in Oakland as it was based on a premise that it would be free at a very low level bandwidth with upgrade options for-pay. That allegedly would pay for the system.

Since most households already had for-pay broadband accounts, most with email addresses established through them, there was little likelihood that anyone would sign up for the paid upgrade accounts. And they didn't. Instead, they would use the free low bandwidth account as a back up, should their other account go down or when away from home.

With countless businesses, like Panera and libraries, already offering free high speed connectivity, there was even a further lack of need for it.

Finally, the short distance model they proposed would have required over 5000 nodes meaning incredible amount of set up and maintenance. Had they gone for a "WI-Lan" model they could have covered the county with 10-15 nodes, but that would have required users to have WILan cards.

Everyone with any tech savvy saw that was doomed from the outset, way too late, and viewed it as a political ploy by LBP to look like he was making the county tech hip.

Lose-Lose situation and they lost.

If they want the disadvantaged to get online, it would be cheaper to provide them with $100 netbooks and free accounts with established providers.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    No, we only have a kerosen powered amish 1.0 version of dial up.

Gotta love the amish.

Seriously with all of the horror stories I just want to make sure I can keep running my business. I have to have high speed cable. As for "free": Nope. I would rather pay so that I can scream at a customer service rep if something goes wrong

So who is the cable company out there?

Quote Originally Posted by MJCMEX View Post
    Gotta love the amish.

Seriously with all of the horror stories I just want to make sure I can keep running my business. I have to have high speed cable. As for "free": Nope. I would rather pay so that I can scream at a customer service rep if something goes wrong

So who is the cable company out there?
    Both Comcast and AT&T offer High speed internet service in the city. Comcast through cable & AT&T through DSL. Comcast went all digital in the City last year. I don't know why the wouldn't offer citywide boradband service with the recent upgrades to their infrastructure.

While I don't know about 100% city wide coverage, Both services were offered to the two residences I used to own in the city. One in Indian Village and the other in Brush Park. I suppose you should check with the providers before renting or buying a place.

Ypsilanti has a free wireless service in the downtown and depot town areas that works pretty well. They set the whole system up at an extremely minimal cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Both Comcast and AT&T offer High speed internet service in the city. Comcast through cable & AT&T through DSL. Comcast went all digital in the City last year. I don't know why the wouldn't offer citywide boradband service with the recent upgrades to their infrastructure.

While I don't know about 100% city wide coverage, Both services were offered to the two residences I used to own in the city. One in Indian Village and the other in Brush Park. I suppose you should check with the providers before renting or buying a place.
    That would be difficult since I already bought a place. Comcast is very well known. I will give them a try. Thanks for your help.

Not trying to be an advertisement but our company is operating WiMAX today in Metro Detroit. Its only used for businesses at the moment.

www.123.net

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I have to wonder just what happened to the Wi-Max initiative? That was supposed to eliminate the need for all the wi-fi networks and broadcast from a central location.

Hi,

This is Steve Pierce with Wireless Ypsi.

http://www.Wireless.Ypsi.com

We would love to do the same thing in Detroit.

We already similar Wireless Ypsi networks are in Dearborn, Trenton, Lincoln Park, Ann Arbor as well as New Mexico, Texas and soon Florida.

In Ypsilanti we have had over 40,000 unique users and average 800 to 1,000 users per day.

Who should we talk to?

Steve Pierce
    Wireless Ypsi
    Steve@HDL.com
    734-274-4602

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Ypsilanti has a free wireless service in the downtown and depot town areas that works pretty well. They set the whole system up at an extremely minimal cost.

Open up all the library branches and give them computers.

Case closed.

Internet in the Libraries is perfect.

Then mount Wireless Ypsi Radios on the roof tops of the Library and in a couple of days we can cover a square mile or more hanging additional the radios on street lights and with owners permission nearby homes and businesses.

It really does work. Come to Ypsilanti and try it out. If you let me know you are coming, I will buy the coffee.

Steve Pierce
    Wireless Ypsi
    www.wireless.ypsi.com
    Steve@HDL.com
    734-274-4602