Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The city hall bell. Save it!

I thought about starting a thread for this bell even though this bell has been mentioned in a different topic. And that's because maybe this is a viable project, the reinstatement of this bell. Renovating a building, a theater or a skyscraper demands an enormous ammount of money. And how much is much? $10.000,-? That's small change for Illich.

There is another bell in the USA which is woven into the fabric of that country. A beel which was an iferior cast, a bell that cracked but even though the sound is gone, this bell still retains a place in the heart of every American. It's the liberty bell.

In 1950, the United States Department of the Treasury assisted by several private companies selected Paccard Foundry in Annecy-le-Vieux, France, to cast 55 full-sized replicas of the Liberty Bell. The bells were shipped as gifts to states and territories of the United States and the District of Columbia to be displayed and rung on patriotic occasions. This was part of a savings bond drive held from May 15 to July 4, 1950 with the slogan "Save for Your Independence." The table below shows the most recent known location of each state and territory replica Liberty Bell.
    A quote taken from the website of the virtual liberty bell museum.

Every state has it's own liberty bell. There are more than the 55 replica's to be found but I won't bother you with it. Why I mentioned this museum is that a yoke like this could and maybe should also be made for the city hall bell. And it would be very symbolic to use materials of buildings lost for that, like they did with the USS New York, for which the bow of that ship has been made of steel girders of the World Trade Center.

Here's the Michigan example in the State Capitol.

Wouldn't it be nice to see this bell get a prominent place again in the city on Campus Martius? It's a bell to remind Detroit citizens what has been lost in the city center. A place to remember the buildings fallen to the wrecker, like the Statler, Tuller, Lafayette and.... city hall.

Wake up the city! Wake up, Detroit!

Your thoughts
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-03-10 at 11:48 PM.

Retroit Guest

Could we use Kwame's head for the clapper?

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Could we use Kwame's head for the clapper?
    With the earring it might work, but in all honesty I think it would be difficult to shut up.

I am for saving the bell & all the stone & cannon from City Hall.

In 1950 the United States Department of the Treasury, with funding from private corporations, ordered 53 full-scale reproductions of the Liberty Bell for each of the states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. The bells were cast at the historic Paccard Fonderie de Cloches [[Paccard Foundry of Bells) in Annecy-le-Vieux, Haute-Savoie, France.

States were expected to display the bells and ring them on patriotic occasions. The bells promoted the 1950 campaign to sell U.S. Savings Bonds. Because the nation would also begin celebration of the 175th anniversary of American independence in 1950, the slogan of the bond drive was "Save for Your Independence."

Transported to Lansing aboard a truck painted red, white and blue, Michigan's bell was displayed outdoors at the Capitol on May 31 for ceremonies that kicked off the bond campaign. It was then taken on a statewide tour. Upon its return to Lansing, the bell was installed on the glass first floor of the Capitol building. [[The photo, above, shows workers moving the bell off the glass floor when it was removed in 1968.)
    http://www.michigan.gov/printerFrien...5824--,00.html

I'm confused, this bell doesn't seem to have ever been in Detroit, why would we move it there "again"?

Edit: I guess you are talking about two different bells? I don't know. Maybe saving a bell will help. Let's DO something!
    Last edited by Johnlodge; January-04-10 at 02:56 PM.

Retroit Guest

I found out that bell weighs 7670 lbs. and costed $2,782. Those are both a lot more than I expected. I presume the bell was made sometime around the construction of the city hall [[1868-1871).

I was trying to find out what the bell was used for. Just for time? Or special occasions?

7670? Wow... That would explain why a scrapper hasn't made off with it!

With all of the talk of Liberty Bells, both in Philadelphia and apparently from the looks of it in a cafeteria somewhere in Lansing, I think I missed something. Exactly where is the bell from Detroit's City Hall right now?

indeed I was using the lliberty bell as an example of how the bell could be displayed. Here in the Netherlands the changing of the year is used to play some michief. There are some famous examples of that. I will post some picturea the coming weekend. One time a full size [[decomissioned) lifeboat was kidnapped with a truck. So with the right equipment it's no problem.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-04-10 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    With all of the talk of Liberty Bells, both in Philadelphia and apparently from the looks of it in a cafeteria somewhere in Lansing, I think I missed something. Exactly where is the bell from Detroit's City Hall right now?
    Read this thread:

http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=3999
    Last edited by jtf1972; January-04-10 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    better still, look for a picture in the "Shorpy does it again" topic.

Thanks jtf

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgedaddy View Post
    Reading the article in today's Detroit News on cryonics, I can't stop thinking about Detroit's once famous Rita Bell. To bad she's long gone, she would have been worth preserving.
    Bill Kennedy once claimed that she had no lower torso.

Our once-beloved Rita Bell:

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    better still, look for a picture in the "Shorpy does it again" topic.
    After I posted I realized it wasn't on that page, so I ammended!

The bell that was atop City Hall in Detroit is on a couple of 2" x 4"'s in front of the 1905 Guardhouse at Fort Wayne. It has been there, exposed to the elements, for over 20 years that I know of. I remember when some members of the Coalition moved it to its current location a few years back. I make mention of it every time that I give a tour. Everyone always says what a shame it is to see it in such a state, but no one has risen to the occasion as of yet.

I am sure the Historical Society/CoD Recreation Department would entertain all offers to help with its restoration/preservation.

There was some discussion a few years back about someone [[perhaps Metaldoctor?) building a new cradle for it, but that has not happened as of yet.

If you need some contact information in regard to a preservation effort, I can put you in touch with the guy directly responsible for the bell's oversight.

Res

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    The bell that was atop City Hall in Detroit is on a couple of 2" x 4"'s in front of the 1905 Guardhouse at Fort Wayne. It has been there, exposed to the elements, for over 20 years that I know of. I remember when some members of the Coalition moved it to its current location a few years back. I make mention of it every time that I give a tour. Everyone always says what a shame it is to see it in such a state, but no one has risen to the occasion as of yet.

I am sure the Historical Society/CoD Recreation Department would entertain all offers to help with its restoration/preservation.

There was some discussion a few years back about someone [[perhaps Metaldoctor?) building a new cradle for it, but that has not happened as of yet.

If you need some contact information in regard to a preservation effort, I can put you in touch with the guy directly responsible for the bell's oversight.

Res
    Have you considered a T-shirt sale? A Lego replica to raise awareness?

Quote Originally Posted by PQZ View Post
    Have you considered a T-shirt sale? A Lego replica to raise awareness?
    PQZ.. I guess once you move away... it's easy to become uninformed... otherwise you would have known that the Henry Ford beat you to the punch...

http://www.hfmgv.org/events/legoExhibit.aspx

Oh my god, they found Rita Bell buried in the woods by Fort Wayne! And someone propped her up on two by fours by a parking lot!

From some Web site called BuildingsofDetroit.com, ahem, shameless plug:

"One of the nation's top clockmakers, W.A. Hendrie of Chicago, created the clock especially for Detroit and regarded it as his masterpiece. Its four dials – each 8 feet 3 inches in diameter and made in Glasgow, Scotland – were illuminated at night so citizens all over downtown could see the time. [[Remember, the clock tower was the highest point in the city then.) When its 125-pound pendulum first swung into action at the building’s formal dedication on July 4, 1871, it was the largest clock in the United States. But such a title came with a price: $2,850 [[about $70,000 today). Taxpayers angrily decried that it was a waste of money. The clock tower’s bell weighed in at 7,670 pounds [[3.8 tons) and cost another $2,782 [[about $68,000 today)."

More where this came from at buildingsofdetroit.com/places/cityhall

... weighed in at 7,670 pounds [[3.8 tons) Guess Rita kinda let herself go huh?

Any pics of the OLD Old [[1831) City Hall?
    Last edited by jtf1972; January-05-10 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Any pics of the OLD Old [[1831) City Hall?
    You bet your sweet ass.
    There she is on the right. Not much to look at, but then again, Detroit wasn't much of a city back then:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1262726479

Another:
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1262726545

Put it in the tower of Old Main.

Or replace the fishhead bell in GCP with this one.

I'll bet Karmanos would pay to put it in CM, if someone mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    I'll bet Karmanos would pay to put it in CM, if someone mentioned it.
    I'll bet Ilitch would offer to put a parking lot over its current location on Ft. Wayne.

PQZ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    PQZ.. I guess once you move away... it's easy to become uninformed... otherwise you would have known that the Henry Ford beat you to the punch...

http://www.hfmgv.org/events/legoExhibit.aspx
    Oh, I see! How neat is that?! The Lego enthusiasts have done it again!

I presume this stylized replica of a castle will somehow prompt the restoration of some Scottish keep?

Cuz it sure the hell ain't helping any bell in Detroit...unless some six year old kid accidentally enjoys other old things while visiting the Lego Castle and 14 years from now decides to "do something" - like getting a degree in urban planning or historic preservation and THEN go save the bell after they get a job in said fields.

Of course there is the danger the six year old will just grow up to be an adult that plays with blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    You bet your sweet ass.
    There she is on the right. Not much to look at, but then again, Detroit wasn't much of a city back then:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1262726479

Another:
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...g?t=1262726545
    Thanks! both for the pics & the compliment on my posterior!

The best thing I ever heard about City Hall is that the warped floors led to the common question as to "what was more crooked, the hallways of City Hall or the politicians who walk them?"

I find it interesting that City Hall was torn down by a suburban company [[Union Wrecking of Farmington,) used for suburban interest [[pier in St. Clair Shores) & like many other great Detroit buildings would be replaced by essentially an ugly parking lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast