Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Islandview and Bellevue Village projects

Does anybody know if these projects got off the ground? I have some information in my files-sorry I live in mid-Michigan and can't get to Detroit often.
    I hope this thread is of some interest.
    Here's some background on the projects:
    English Village started construction in February of 2001, and will ultimately contain 105 market rate townhouse condominiums, The developers of English Village, Victor Semelsberger and Michael Tyson [[the boxer?), are also actively working on the redevelopment of the former St. Charles School. The school will be transformed into 26 market rate for sale loft condominiums, .
    Church of the Messiah Housing Corporation is a Community Housing Development Organization [[CHDO) located in the heart of the Islandview Community. .
    Responding to the need for affordable for sale housing, Messiah Housing Corporation has started construction on the first phase of BellevueVillage. Bellevue Village, located on Helen Street between St. Paul and Agnes, consists of ten single family for sale homes priced at $145,000 with up to $55,000 in subsidy available per house. In addition Messiah has partnered with Islandview Village Development Corporation to construct 20 additional homes for sale in the IslandviewVillage Project, located on Baldwin and Field Streets. These homes are also affordably priced starting at $165,000.

No, none of those projects got off the ground, except for the market rate town homes. Can't say how many were built in the end, but quite a few were. Everything else is a no go.

Parts of all those project began and are on hold during the recession.

Last I heard the The English Village condos are about 50% built out. They planned for something like 96 and have about 50 complete. The St Charles School was put on the back burner, until the economy recovers. See http://www.englishvillagedetroit.com/ for more info

As for Messiah Housing...

At least four of the Ten Bellevue Village homes had been competed and sold.

I am not sure about the Island View homes, They did build and sell quite a few of them, I am not sure about the 20 that you were referencing. You can't tell the new ones from the ones that had already been built.

It is a good example of low, moderate and high income housing can be built as part of one neighborhood

The Villages of Detroit CDC has a website that has some information on the projects in the area as well. www.thevillagesofdetroit.com

Oh yeah the developer is Mike Tyson, the former banker, not the boxer

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    Parts of all those project began and are on hold during the recession.

Last I heard the The English Village condos are about 50% built out. They planned for something like 96 and have about 50 complete. The St Charles School was put on the back burner, until the economy recovers. See http://www.englishvillagedetroit.com/ for more info

As for Messiah Housing...

At least four of the Ten Bellevue Village homes had been competed and sold.

I am not sure about the Island View homes, They did build and sell quite a few of them, I am not sure about the 20 that you were referencing. You can't tell the new ones from the ones that had already been built.

It is a good example of low, moderate and high income housing can be built as part of one neighborhood

The Villages of Detroit CDC has a website that has some information on the projects in the area as well. www.thevillagesofdetroit.com

Oh yeah the developer is Mike Tyson, the former banker, not the boxer
    Their spelling is appalling. "Come be apart [[sic) of the Next Detroit"? Cathlolic? What hood rats did they find for their site? Makes me really want to live there.

Default Housing

Thanks for your updates on the projects. Most of that area seems like a desolate wasteland, so they probably won't get the $250,000+ for units in the former St. Charles School.

I live 2 blocks away in West Village. I wouldn't call this area "desolate wasteland" I also would like to add that most of the vacant land, or so called "desolate wasteland," around the townhouses is owned by them for the purpose of building more townhouses as market conditions allow. Things aren't always as they appear. The Villages are a very vibrant and community interactive group and we are proud to have both those projects as part of our neighborhood. Let's hope that the economy picks up and/or the city focus' on downsizing so that this area can become what it's developers want it to be.